2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Did this get posted yet? Meryl Davis was working with skaters at the Pang & Tong club!
https://twitter.com/Meryl_Davis/status/1042925500509945858

I wonder if this means China will be focusing on ice dance in addition to pairs—and I would love to see it happen!
Perhaps they are getting ready for the Olympic team event. They have hope in men's, women's and pairs and if they keep improving in dance they could break the Canada, US and Russia podium juggernaut.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Hope Pang & Tong bring more international experts to Chinese figure skating. Could Meryl be helping them for an ice show such as one can be used at the opening ceremony of the Olympics?

Did this get posted yet? Meryl Davis was working with skaters at the Pang & Tong club!
https://twitter.com/Meryl_Davis/status/1042925500509945858

I wonder if this means China will be focusing on ice dance in addition to pairs—and I would love to see it happen!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So any news what is going on with China? Why did they WD so many skaters from GP series?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Who withdrew from which GP event? Just hope it is not Boyang Jin. I don't really care about other skaters. Sui/Han are already out, right?

yqs100

On the Ice
Who withdrew from which GP event? Just hope it is not Boyang Jin. I don't really care about other skaters. Sui/Han are already out, right?

Li Xiangning/ Xie Zhong withdrew from SA and Finland

Li Xiangning withdrew from NHK

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
For Li/Xie pair, I am actually happy they withdraw. From the clip of their test skate or national championship in the summer, I don't think they can skate through two programs with most of the required elements. It's better to withdraw than embarrassing themselves. They just have so much to learn. Then she missed so much time for training singles and has to withdraw too.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
For Li/Xie pair, I am actually happy they withdraw. From the clip of their test skate or national championship in the summer, I don't think they can skate through two programs with most of the required elements. It's better to withdraw than embarrassing themselves. They just have so much to learn. Then she missed so much time for training singles and has to withdraw too.

Agreed. Li/Xie are definitely not GP ready. I've always wondered why they were given not only one but two GP spots while Wang/Wang got none. They are more prepared than Li/Xie by all means.

icybear

Medalist
Agreed. Li/Xie are definitely not GP ready. I've always wondered why they were given not only one but two GP spots while Wang/Wang got none. They are more prepared than Li/Xie by all means.

Probably because the fed of the host GP wanted to pick the more unlikely podium challenger

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Probably because the fed of the host GP wanted to pick the more unlikely podium challenger

I thought it was because the Wangs were not on the national team for this season?

Mdk0144

On the Ice
I thought it was because the Wangs were not on the national team for this season?

looking at this, i wonder why weren't they on the national team for this season on the first place. does anyone know the reason why?

Midnightcass

On the Ice
looking at this, i wonder why weren't they on the national team for this season on the first place. does anyone know the reason why?

During the national training camp they had during the summer, Wang was tested to be the second best pair make there. Thus, the national team wanted to split the pair to place Wang with a partner that “matches” him in skill set. However, he refused to split from his current partner and they left the National team.

yqs100

On the Ice
During the national training camp they had during the summer, Wang was tested to be the second best pair make there. Thus, the national team wanted to split the pair to place Wang with a partner that “matches” him in skill set. However, he refused to split from his current partner and they left the National team.

IMO, the goal of the national team is not only this year, but 2022. Given Wangs are not young and don’t have great potential to grow ( compared to their team mates), therefore, the coach team would like to give resource to other young teams or teams with better capabilities.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
IMO, the goal of the national team is not only this year, but 2022. Given Wangs are not young and don’t have great potential to grow ( compared to their team mates), therefore, the coach team would like to give resource to other young teams or teams with better capabilities.
But wouldn’t you say the Wangs have a better chance of improving given the proper resources as compared to Li/Xie?
Give them a good Lori Nichol program and more time and in depth training with Zhao and see how much they’ll improve.

Mdk0144

On the Ice

that is really sweet of him!

HoneyBear

On the Ice

Did they make the test results public in some way? I'm curious about them. I also wonder who the intended partner for Wang Lei was.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
They didn't make the results public. Rumors say Wang Lei might be paired with Xiangning Li or some other girl with better jumps.
The same source also said Peng/Jin would split and Peng would pair with Yihang Huang, a 16-year-old junior boy who debut in JGP this season, and Jin would pair with Lu Zheng, a single skater. Thank god this didn't happen. With both Sui and Yu injured, Peng/Jin is the only Chinese pair able to make it to the GP podium.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
The official's decision seems desperate and unwise to me. They only consider technical potential but not style or personality match. Wang/Wang is a very good match to me. And you cannot expect the jump in singles can automatically translate to jumps in pair. If they had a large pool to select from, things may be quite different. The fact that they want Xiangling to compete both single and pairs says a lot. Ashley Kim once did that but I believe she was trained from an earlier age, and her Dad has always been her age.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
I actaully thought Xiaoyu & Xie Zhong would be a good match when I first heard about Sanya, but I'm also happy for Li/Xie. Go Xiangning!