2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

Mdk0144

On the Ice
P/J do have some really fun lovely programs. I think their My drag program is my favourite. Definitely under appreciated.
But Y/J were elegance and class. Their throws could’ve been quads with just a little more work. I. Miss. Them. ��
But I agree. It is a shame. But out of all the pairs men, Jin is the most suited for her.

Yes!!!! For me, YJ was even better matched than PJ, though i also love pj quite much. I love the umbrellas of shelbroug. They definitely had a unique atmosphere, really reminded me of Pang/Tong. Yu/Zhang, no, directly speaking, zhang, is not giving me any feelings from his skate. I just feel xiaoyu work so hard and actually do a great job performing but her partner isn’t matching her equally (at least for the artistic side). How about Yu-Xie?

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yes!!!! For me, YJ was even better matched than PJ, though i also love pj quite much. I love the umbrellas of shelbroug. They definitely had a unique atmosphere, really reminded me of Pang/Tong. Yu/Zhang, no, directly speaking, zhang, is not giving me any feelings from his skate. I just feel xiaoyu work so hard and actually do a great job performing but her partner isn’t matching her equally (at least for the artistic side). How about Yu-Xie?

Yu/Xie sounds lovely to me, but she might be too tall for Xie, even with the Chinese technique.

ssminnow

Rinkside
If only Yu could have been matched up with an in-his-prime Tong Jian. That would have been such a beautiful pair.

s_parks

Record Breaker
If only Yu could have been matched up with an in-his-prime Tong Jian. That would have been such a beautiful pair.

Or the fed didn't split up Peng and tianci zhang to pair her up with old man Zhang to begin with, so Yu and Jin would've still been together as well. And possibly have 3 really good, young teams right now...
Oh well, what-ifs, what-ifs.

bobbob

Medalist
is Hao Zhang guaranteed to stay in until 2022? he would be 37 (though, by some estimates, 40) by that time

Midnightcass

On the Ice
is Hao Zhang guaranteed to stay in until 2022? he would be 37 (though, by some estimates, 40) by that time

Savchenko is actually older than him by a few months but I have complete faith that she’ll fight for 2022. Him, however, will definitely only stick to it for home soil glory and after it, Yu will be partnerless and starting from scratch again with a new partner. But who knows, injuries and unforeseen circumstances are bound to happen....

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Savchenko is actually older than him by a few months but I have complete faith that she’ll fight for 2022. Him, however, will definitely only stick to it for home soil glory and after it, Yu will be partnerless and starting from scratch again with a new partner. But who knows, injuries and unforeseen circumstances are bound to happen....

Naw. Savchenko/Zhang to team up, skating for Tonga!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yumeng Gao was almost equally tall as yu. Maybe it wouldn’t be a problem.

Ha, you made me look up their heights on the bio. You're right; for some reason Yu gives off such an illusion of being taller. This is a possibility to consider, should their current partners not recover from injury or whatever. (from the sound of things, Li's sounds serious and Zhang is well...old) He's young for a pairs skater but has solid skills.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
I think the best way to pair the Chinese is to clone Jin Yang so he can skate with both Yu and Peng. :slink:

On the other hand, news about Sui/Han

http://www.kaixian.tv/gd/2018/1210/1261912.html

Article Mentions:
- A fan catching Sui Wenjing watching Peng/Jin SP in a live stream.
- Han Cong said that they will see fans in December for Nats.
- Lori said that new program has a new modern feel.
- New Chinese-style performance that they worked hard on. Sui said 表演, so I'm assuming it is an exhibition?

EDIT: Eng Sub Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKsEVuavn2A

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Chinese Nationals entries came out. Things to note:
- Sui/ Han and Yu/Zhang are making their first appearance of the season there
- They will be joined by reigning GPF silver medalists Peng/Jin

I think Y/Z will definitely have a better chance for silver than P/J but we're still unsure of Yu's condition and what are the consequences of them leaving the national team.
Will they fall out of favour with the judges?

- Women singles will finally be interesting with Chen Hongyi, An Xiangyi, Cao Yu and newcomer Beverly Zhu (her first Chinese competition yay!)
All girls will be thirsty for national champ. title with Hongyi coming second last year and An coming a disappointing 4th after a terrible FS.
Beverly is the oldest out of bunch, being 16 with An Xiangyi being the youngest at 11. So far this season, as far as domestic competitions goes, An Xiangyi has had a gold medal winning streak but her TES will undoubtedly be lacking compared to Chen and Zhu. I think.
Unfortunately, Xiangning is still in recovery.

Lastly,
WILL BOYANG RISE FROM THE ASHES WITH CLEAN PROGRAMS?

yqs100

On the Ice
Well I think splitting pairs and creating new pairs, this trend is not only happening in China.

Look at the last two olympic champions pairs, the Russians and Germans, they are all “new pairs”, teamed up 3 or 4 years only.

And I believe all these changes happened in team china pairs are aiming at 2022 rather than 2018, we’ll see how it goes.

Personally I think Yu/Zhang’s style has more power than Yu/Jin in terms of strength and speed. But Yu/Jin has more chemistry. You cant say which one is Right or wrong. It’s more on your personal preference.

Glad to see the growth of Peng, Definitely she is more confident and comfortable with Jin now. Good luck for the second half of the season.

Can’t wait for Sui/Han’s back!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Hao Zhang will probably skate until 2042, let's be honest. :laugh: 6 Olympics would be a solo record, right (although he competed in 5 Olympics over 20 years, vs. Drobiaszko/Vanagas' 5 Olympics over 18 years)? That's incredible.

vitamintea

On the Ice
Assuming Sui and Han are healthy enough, they would probably go to Worlds and 4CC even without skating the free, so it will be a battle for the second spot. I'd like to see Peng and Jin get it. I wasn't expecting to like their SP as much as I did, but it made me listen to the Lumineers album during a road trip and I loved it. I think their free could still use some work, and I hope to see some improvement on their packaging in the future. His costume in their short looks like a cotton shirt slightly rolled up. I'm sure there are subtleties in there but you can barely see it on camera.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
I think some people need to realize it is very unlikely that Yu and Jin will be paired again.

Everybody knows, but sometimes it’s just hard to face the reality. Cuz the way they split was so shocking considering that they were the bronze medalists of 4cc that year, and they had so much chemistry and potential.

Btw, i watched Y/Z’s new sp at billibilli and i totally loved it. Richaud’s choreo is definitely a fresh air for this team!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Info on Chinese nationals from the GS twitter via Jackie Wong: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1078777658765463556

+ HKG’s Yi Christy Leung and former US skater Beverly Zhu on the list for ladies
+ Boyang Jin going for title #5
+ Pairs field includes Peng/Jin, Sui/Han, Yu/Zhang, and Wang/Wang

Interesting about Yi Christy Leung but not all that surprising (for me anyway, not sure if that's old news). If Boyang and their pairs stay healthy, and Leung keeps to her upward trajectory (not to discount a promising Beverly Zhu), and Wang/Liu keep improving, they could field a solid team for 2022 on home soil.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
Chinese Nationals entries came out. Things to note:
I think Y/Z will definitely have a better chance for silver than P/J but we're still unsure of Yu's condition and what are the consequences of them leaving the national team.
Will they fall out of favour with the judges?

Y/Z is marked as "test", which means they will only participate in the sp portion of the competition, thus out of medal contention.

All girls will be thirsty for national champ. title with Hongyi coming second last year and An coming a disappointing 4th after a terrible FS.
Beverly is the oldest out of bunch, being 16 with An Xiangyi being the youngest at 11. So far this season, as far as domestic competitions goes, An Xiangyi has had a gold medal winning streak but her TES will undoubtedly be lacking compared to Chen and Zhu. I think.
Unfortunately, Xiangning is still in recovery.

According to An Xiangyi's fan club account on weibo, she hasn't fully recovered so expect her to downgrade the tech.
Beverly Zhu is also dealing with some serious injury and has some kind of surgery planned after the national champ.