2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It’s kinda sad that China still has Cup of China and can still have 3 participants in all the disciplines. Who will they send this year to COC?? All the girls are gone I think, and for the men is there anyone except Boyang?

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Figureskating is developing in China. I think it's fortunate that they have those spots so they can motivate young figureskaters and allow them to test themselves on an international circuit.

The pairs discipline is usually full. And don't worry, China will probably have some interesting players to fill the other spots in preparation for 2022.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
It’s kinda sad that China still has Cup of China and can still have 3 participants in all the disciplines. Who will they send this year to COC?? All the girls are gone I think, and for the men is there anyone except Boyang?
I don't think you need to worry about that.
Ladies: Li Xiangning if she really is doing both disciplines, Chen Hongyi if she moves to the seniors next season, Zhao Ziquan if she's still skating next season (I don't remember hearing about her retiring), etc.
Men's (besides Boyang): Zhang He, Li Tangxu (Is he still skating? Haven't heard of him since Finlandia Trophy 2017). They also have Chen Yudong (how old is he exactly?) and Fang Shuai; These two are the most likely candidates to be sent to RA in my opinion.

I mean while these skaters are not exactly medal contenders, the Chinese fed does have other skaters besides the familiar faces to send to the competition. Just look at their entries to COC in the previous years. There are almost always relatively inexperienced young skaters whose only chance to compete in a senior international event is the CoC. Echoing what Midnightcass has said, the chance to compete at CoC is a big motivation for these youngsters.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
I don't think you need to worry about that.
Ladies: Li Xiangning if she really is doing both disciplines, Chen Hongyi if she moves to the seniors next season, Zhao Ziquan if she's still skating next season (I don't remember hearing about her retiring), etc.
Men's (besides Boyang): Zhang He, Li Tangxu (Is he still skating? Haven't heard of him since Finlandia Trophy 2017). They also have Chen Yudong (how old is he exactly?) and Fang Shuai; These two are the most likely candidates to be sent to RA in my opinion.

I mean while these skaters are not exactly medal contenders, the Chinese fed does have other skaters besides the familiar faces to send to the competition. Just look at their entries to COC in the previous years. There are almost always relatively inexperienced young skaters whose only chance to compete in a senior international event is the CoC. Echoing what Midnightcass has said, the chance to compete at CoC is a big motivation for these youngsters.

Chen Yudong was presented as a local novice boy when he skated for last year's CoC gala so we'll probably see him soon on the Grand Prix circuit. I'm all for seeing Shuai going to Raf. 🙌🙌🙌 I actually enjoyed his sp this junior season, needs a lot of work though but I'm hopeful.

SamuraiKike

Medalist

CHN has tons of skaters.. Their national competitions rosters are comparable in size to the big 4 (RUS, CAN, USA, JPN) . The fields may not be deep with just 1-2 elite level stars but Im glad COC gives us the chance to see some of the lower ranked each year.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
CHN has tons of skaters.. Their national competitions rosters are comparable in size to the big 4 (RUS, CAN, USA, JPN) . The fields may not be deep with just 1-2 elite level stars but Im glad COC gives us the chance to see some of the lower ranked each year.

The rosters maybe, but the size of the audience is nowhere near that of the big 4. Even national championships are hardly broadcasted. The only national competition I can think of that has relatively more people watching and is likely to be broadcasted is the figure skating event at the National Winter Games, which happens once every four years.

yqs100

On the Ice
Update

While the pairs are training in Sanya, Shen Xue leads a group of young skaters (6-8 skaters), including An Xiangning, Chen Yudong, fang shuai to the states for training.

From RA's early interview, he will have two young male skaters from China, I believe Chen Yudong and Fang Shuai are the ones he mentioned.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Update

While the pairs are training in Sanya, Shen Xue leads a group of young skaters (6-8 skaters), including An Xiangning, Chen Yudong, fang shuai to the states for training.

From RA's early interview, he will have two young male skaters from China, I believe Chen Yudong and Fang Shuai are the ones he mentioned.

Can you link the article with this information please? And do you mean An Xiangyi? If so, I'm quite excited to see her and Fang's skating in the future. 🙌🙌

hanca

Record Breaker
I don’t know why it would be sad. If they have no one to send, they will give up the spots and someone from other countries will get them. I am glad there are still countries who are willing to organise GP and JGP events. It cost the federation money for ice, for financial rewards, to pay the judges, to pay the travelling and hotel to the invited skaters... I am not sure whether money collected for admission will cover the expenditure. The Europeans and worlds I am sure the income should cover the expenditure, but at GP and JGP events there are not as many people in the audience and the entry tickets are so much cheaper.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Wang/Liu as well as new team Hong Chen/Zhuoming Sun are headed to Montreal this weekend to begin "long-term" training with Marie-France and co.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Wang/Liu as well as Hong Chen/Yan Zhao are headed to Montreal this weekend to begin "long-term" training with Marie-France and co.

So I guess the big splits are gonna all gonna be on the pairs side...?

So are W/L not going to get choreography from Camerlango anymore? I like his work in developing their performance abilities this past quad, their Mika program was great! However, M-F and P can really help them get those levels and refine their skating which would help them qualify for the free skate at WC and OG and move them up in the standings. Plus Hawayak/Baker, their training mates, will also move there, so they will have some familiar company.

xiangfuzi

On the Ice
Wang/Liu as well as Hong Chen/Yan Zhao are headed to Montreal this weekend to begin "long-term" training with Marie-France and co.

So I guess the big splits are gonna all gonna be on the pairs side...?

Not Hong CHEN/Yan ZHAO but Hong CHEN/Zhuoming SUN.
Hong CHEN/Yan ZHAO splited and Hong CHEN was paired with Zhuoming SUN who was the former partner of Linshu SONG.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Not Hong CHEN/Yan ZHAO but Hong CHEN/Zhuoming SUN.
Hong CHEN/Yan ZHAO splited and Hong CHEN was paired with Zhuoming SUN who was the former partner of Linshu SONG.

Oh wow, you're right!! :eek: So sorry, I misinterpreted the translation. Fixing my post.

So that's one split confirmed.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Anyone knows of any accounts (weibo/Twitter etc), blogs or forums (English or Chinese) that give updates or have discussions on Chinese figureskating?

Eclair

Medalist
Anyone knows of any accounts (weibo/Twitter etc), blogs or forums (English or Chinese) that give updates or have discussions on Chinese figureskating?

which skaters are you particularly interested in? or do you want information about all of them?