2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

hanca

Record Breaker
which skaters are you particularly interested in? or do you want information about all of them?

The top pairs. Did the stay the same, or did the federation manage to mix it up a bit again? Is Yu still with Zhang and their ex-partners also still together?

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules about linking...

I follow S/H's hashtag on Weibo for updates on them but you do have to wade through quite a bit of just regular fan stuff (art, MVs, discussion, etc) when news is light: http://huati.weibo.com/2133964

Same for Wang/Liu's hashtag: http://huati.weibo.com/4561263

The official Chinese figure skating team's Weibo is pretty active right now, mostly updating on Wang/Liu and the other ice dance team's training in Montreal, with lots of clips and pics: https://weibo.com/u/6434400902

For all the crazy and mostly unsubstantiated rumors you can look at Tieba, but it's very difficult to parse, at least with my limited Chinese. They discuss all figure skating, not just the Chinese teams, so you'll have to do some digging. If there's a better place where it's just primarily about the Chinese teams, I'd love a link too!

Not sure if I can link directly, so you can go to https://tieba.baidu.com/ and search for the keyword "花样滑冰" - that'll bring up the main figure skating forum.

Eclair

Medalist

sakurano

Final Flight
it's Wang/Liu ;) they had a beautiful FS last season and have some potential and a little bit of wow factor. Needs a lot of technical improvement though.
I especially see potential in him of becoming a rival to Cizeron in lines and posture :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT7WqeGFVEE

Oh thank you for the clarification so they are part of the new Chinese skater sent to Montreal which looks promising, I do not pay too much attention to the ice dance except P / C, Shibs and V / M, so I did not know , it makes you want to follow more closely.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Oh thank you for the clarification so they are part of the new Chinese skater sent to Montreal which looks promising, I do not pay too much attention to the ice dance except P / C, Shibs and V / M, so I did not know , it makes you want to follow more closely.

Wang & Liu are the top Chinese dance team and have been so for several years. I believe their best finish at Worlds thus far is 16th in 2017. They finished 5th at this year's 4CCs and 7th at 4CC's in 2017 with a fully attended event. China has been sending their dancers out to work with top international coaches for a long time. (I remember a team with either Linichuk or Dubova back in 2001). More recently the top Chinese teams have been working with Camerlengo. And now they will be working with Dubreil & Lauzon, though it looks like the second & third Chinese teams have dissolved and a new one has been formed with half of each.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Wang & Liu are the top Chinese dance team and have been so for several years. I believe their best finish at Worlds thus far is 16th in 2017. They finished 5th at this year's 4CCs and 7th at 4CC's in 2017 with a fully attended event. China has been sending their dancers out to work with top international coaches for a long time. (I remember a team with either Linichuk or Dubova back in 2001). More recently the top Chinese teams have been working with Camerlengo. And now they will be working with Dubreil & Lauzon, though it looks like the second & third Chinese teams have dissolved and a new one has been formed with half of each.

They are the best ice dance team to represent China ever and the good news is, they are still young :) They've shown great improvement these past two years. I think Marie France and Patrice can provide them with the refinement, especially working on consistently getting their levels and higher GOEs.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
They are the best ice dance team to represent China ever and the good news is, they are still young :) They've shown great improvement these past two years. I think Marie France and Patrice can provide them with the refinement, especially working on consistently getting their levels and higher GOEs.

I like them best of the Chinese dance teams as well. Wang & Liu need to start earning consistent level 3 step sequences. That is, essentially, what is keeping W&L from moving up to the next tier.

(Though I do not think this year's results represent where W&L are capable of placing. They were obviously placing better last season. It's been pretty fluid among the teams fighting to make the cut--as Muramoto & Reed's finishes in 15th, 23rd, 11th demonstrate over the last three years. Think W&L were a surprise not to make the FD cut at the Olympics, and were generally outscoring both the Slovakians and the Koreans in events that did not have a Solvakian and Korean representative on the the tech panel. OTOH, W&L did lose ground to Muramoto & Reed and both Spanish teams this season. Ground that will not easily be made up, IMO, unless Chris Reed or one of the Spanish teams decides to call it a day).

I don't know if Dubreil & Lauzon will make a huge difference for Wang & Liu or not. Of course, teams will get out this year--Agafanova & Ucar, Lorenz & Polizoakis, and Abachkina & Thauron already have--so W&L will likely move up at least for now anyway. And--as I said--they should be capable of outranking several teams that finished ahead of them at the Olympics and Worlds. Because W&L were already capable of it. Their execution & programs this season were just a bit of a step down this season compared to last year. (And some of that downward movement had more to do with other teams stepping up after gelling more as relatively new teams and after overcoming injuries). The question for me, with the Chinese teams, is always the same: do they have the basics at a young enough age to ultimately compete? I feel like the Chinese dance program suffers from not having any high level ice dance coaches working with the youngsters. They send their top athletes to the best and have been doing so for at least close to two decades. I don't know for how much of the year. Perhaps full-time would make a bigger difference. But also, I feel like the teams aren't sent early enough. (Understandably, when considering young athletes and that it means traveling halfway around the World. Obviously the best approach would be to import or develop some high-level developmental dance coaches in China. Just easier said than done).

Short of that, however, if I were China, I would snap up Jason Chan and Jeffrey Chen, give them a couple talented Chinese girls to work with, and get some high-level teams started now. Build those teams from a younger age than any of the athletes China is sending to D&L. Prepare for 8 years down the road, which is a much more manageable goal than 2022. But that would require a much longer-term plan than I've seen come out of the Chinese ice dance program. And would also, likely, require a different immigration policy.

Regarding 2022, though, I think Wang & Liu are a enjoyable team with fantastic acrobatic lifts. And seeing as how they went backwards in the standings this season, as well the lack of clarity about the future of the Detroit Skating Club ice dance program, a new coaching team seems understandable. I just hope they will get enough time and programs that help showcase their personality on the ice. I don't think they are a soft Marie-France choreo-style team. But I do think D&L are very good at drilling edges in footwork. If W&L can work there long enough during the year to improve those level-two footwork sequences to level-three ones, it will definitely be worth the move for them.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Zijun has taught seminars with young kids in China with other retired skaters, one of them was with Song Nan.

Also if by Jeffrey Chen you mean Karen's brother her family is Taiwanese, Jason Chan's family is from Hong Kong.

At their pairs training camp in Sanya they specially invited some girls (some as young as 9) to come train and experience high level skating, they had to pass China's skating tests up to a certain grade and then apply and the fed picked a few of them to come. They are trying, however considering they have less resources and the accessibility of things, it will take a while for anything drastic to happen, ice dance even longer. They admitted to struggling last season with their SD and using judges feedback, we will see how the future goes.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I like them best of the Chinese dance teams as well. Wang & Liu need to start earning consistent level 3 step sequences. That is, essentially, what is keeping W&L from moving up to the next tier.

(Though I do not think this year's results represent where W&L are capable of placing. They were obviously placing better last season. It's been pretty fluid among the teams fighting to make the cut--as Muramoto & Reed's finishes in 15th, 23rd, 11th demonstrate over the last three years. Think W&L were a surprise not to make the FD cut at the Olympics, and were generally outscoring both the Slovakians and the Koreans in events that did not have a Solvakian and Korean representative on the the tech panel. OTOH, W&L did lose ground to Muramoto & Reed and both Spanish teams this season. Ground that will not easily be made up, IMO, unless Chris Reed or one of the Spanish teams decides to call it a day).

Ya, I'm not too sure what happened to Wang and Liu at the latter half of the season. They were scoring PB's in their FD and improving their score with each event, all the way to 4CC's. Their SD was their weaker program and they struggled to break 60 with it until 4CC.

Then at the Olympics, they got hammered with Level 2's in the partial and midline step sequences in both the team and individual events. I noticed that Agafanova and Ucar, who trained with Camerlango as well, also got level 2's in all step sequences of the individual event. I think politics did play a role in it, with the technical panel composition. I also note that Mysliveckova/Csolley got both level 3 steps in the SD but only level 2s in both steps in the FD. I have a suspicion that the technical panel were trying to boost certain teams to qualify for the FD over some others with the PBs given.

After Olympics, W/L started getting level 3 steps again at WC but their PCS dropped by a couple of points, when it was steadily climbing throughout the season. Politics or not, they should develop their skating to move out of that 16 to 22 placement area. If they can get to the Top 15, they will be safe enough to qualify at WCs and much less susceptible to politics.

They have excellent body carriage and I think that is a great quality for Marie-France and Patrice to work with. I don't think the soft Montreal style suits them either and I quite like the more edgy style from the second half of their Mika FD. Although I'm really interested in what they can do with a tango from M-F./P.

China, unfortunately, does not place high priority in Ice Dance relative to the other disciplines. However, Wang/Liu are getting the ball rolling. Regarding 2022, China realistically wants to have a solid team for the Team Event, which would likely include Wang/Liu. Their advantage will be pairs and men's but they want decent standings in the other two disciplines to have a shot at the podium.

yqs100

On the Ice
very good news for Boyang!

Yu Xiaoyu is injured, hope she can recover soon.....:noshake: