2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

yqs100

On the Ice
PyeongChang is done, it is a shame that Sui/ Han lost the olympics title by only 0.46 points and Jin Boyang didn't make the podium, however, they are still young, believe the future is theirs.

Heading to 2022 Beijing, team china gained more attention from media and public in China. How will they prepare for the first season of the new olympic cycle.

This thread is to update the status of Team China in 2018 - 2019.

Pairs:
1) Sui is recovering, target to be back on ice in end of May.
2) The rest of the team is in Sanya campus now, which include the "well-known" athletes as well as new faces, the new faces are the qualified skaters aged 9-13 who are interested in pair skating, aiming to catch more potential skaters, per-mutate within the team. it is expected to create new pairs during the campus.
3) the single skater - xiangning li is trying pairs skating now. who will be her partner? we will know in a few weeks.

ladies:
1) china will domesticate some overseas chinese female skaters. which means the fed will provide resource to help these "selected" skaters to train and grow, and will discuss with those who are willing to represent china in 2022.

men:
1) boyang jin will be sent to brian orser and lori nicole, dunno if its for long term or short term.
2) two young skaters will be sent to RA.
3) Yan Han seems retired, but not announced yet.

ice dance
1) These few weeks, a pool of skaters gathered in beijing for the summer campus with patrice lauzon, who will help create new pairs and send to canada for training.

Yar, lots exciting news....

russell30

Final Flight
Li Zijun has confirmed retirement

Han Yan has confirmed retirement - focusing on school/studies

Yes, Team China will build strongly there Pairs Program - for 3 strong pairs at Beijing

Boyang jin is strong in Men's and should peak by 2022

Ladies - they will build new team for new olympic cycle

Not sure on Dance - always there weakest discipline but should have a strong team worthy of a top 20 finish in 2022!

Eclair

Medalist
Li Zijun has confirmed retirement

Han Yan has confirmed retirement - focusing on school/studies

Yes, Team China will build strongly there Pairs Program - for 3 strong pairs at Beijing

Boyang jin is strong in Men's and should peak by 2022

Ladies - they will build new team for new olympic cycle

Not sure on Dance - always there weakest discipline but should have a strong team worthy of a top 20 finish in 2022!

Li Zijun has not confirmed retirement. She confirmed earlier this year that she filed the paperwork for retirement. Since then, she gave an interview, that she is concentrating on opening the new ice rink but does not rule out to return to competition for 2022. It didn't sound very committed though. Personally, I see a small chance for her returning, but right now, she seems to have other priorities.

Han Yan has not confirmed retirement yet. Sources close to him say, it depends on what the fed decides - whether they'll keep investing in him or not.

russell30

Final Flight
Li Zijun has not confirmed retirement. She confirmed earlier this year that she filed the paperwork for retirement. Since then, she gave an interview, that she is concentrating on opening the new ice rink but does not rule out to return to competition for 2022. It didn't sound very committed though. Personally, I see a small chance for her returning, but right now, she seems to have other priorities.

Han Yan has not confirmed retirement yet. Sources close to him say, it depends on what the fed decides - whether they'll keep investing in him or not.

Thanks for clarification - was going on what i saw on social media!! be good if Han and Li stick around - like them both!!, and BOTH have potential but not yet blossomed! lets hope they both reconsider and Han gets the nod by Fed - but he needs some consistency to sway there heads i think!! as for Li - ok with break and hope she comes back before 2022 to test the water!

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Han's retirement status over the past couple months has been so confusing. :noshake: He's one of my favorite skaters and I'd love to see the fed keep him top of mind.
They need to focus more on disciplines that aren't pairs! I'm reassured to hear they are mining potential talent and helping youngsters grow to represent China.

I do miss Zijun :(

Eclair

Medalist
Thanks for clarification - was going on what i saw on social media!! be good if Han and Li stick around - like them both!!, and BOTH have potential but not yet blossomed! lets hope they both reconsider and Han gets the nod by Fed - but he needs some consistency to sway there heads i think!! as for Li - ok with break and hope she comes back before 2022 to test the water!

I really hope both of them will reconsider. Han Yan clearly stated, that this was not the way he intended to leave the sport and that he still has some regrets if he retires.

Zijun seems to be happy with her life now, but she still regularly goes to the ice rink and coaches. Despite her delicate image, she seems quite ambitious and competitive, so I hope the young skaters will re-ignite her passion for this sport. Not to mention, that she is the most talented ladies skater China has had since Lu Chen.

yqs100

On the Ice
BTW, coach Mingzhu Li is in Sanya campus to help the pairs’ girls to enhance their solo jumps. Dunno if it’s long term or short term.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
What do you mean domesticate overseas Chinese female skaters? Are there any Chinese female skaters training outside of China?

PyeongChang is done, it is a shame that Sui/ Han lost the olympics title by only 0.46 points and Jin Boyang didn't make the podium, however, they are still young, believe the future is theirs.

Heading to 2022 Beijing, team china gained more attention from media and public in China. How will they prepare for the first season of the new olympic cycle.

This thread is to update the status of Team China in 2018 - 2019.

Pairs:
1) Sui is recovering, target to be back on ice in end of May.
2) The rest of the team is in Sanya campus now, which include the "well-known" athletes as well as new faces, the new faces are the qualified skaters aged 9-13 who are interested in pair skating, aiming to catch more potential skaters, per-mutate within the team. it is expected to create new pairs during the campus.
3) the single skater - xiangning li is trying pairs skating now. who will be her partner? we will know in a few weeks.

ladies:
1) china will domesticate some overseas chinese female skaters. which means the fed will provide resource to help these "selected" skaters to train and grow, and will discuss with those who are willing to represent china in 2022.

men:
1) boyang jin will be sent to brian orser and lori nicole, dunno if its for long term or short term.
2) two young skaters will be sent to RA.
3) Yan Han seems retired, but not announced yet.

ice dance
1) These few weeks, a pool of skaters gathered in beijing for the summer campus with patrice lauzon, who will help create new pairs and send to canada for training.

Yar, lots exciting news....

Midnightcass

On the Ice
BTW, coach Mingzhu Li is in Sanya campus to help the pairs’ girls to enhance their solo jumps. Dunno if it’s long term or short term.

Who knows how much help she would be after all the accusations thrown about her coaching with Zijun and Chen Lu.
Might as well get Boyang's coaches or Boyang himself to teach a little something about jumps. 😂

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What do you mean domesticate overseas Chinese female skaters? Are there any Chinese female skaters training outside of China?

I would assume they mean foreign (probably North American/US) skaters with Chinese heritage.

yqs100

On the Ice

Those ABC = North America born Chinese. The fed will provide necessary resource for them to train in US. and discuss if they are willing to represent China in the next few years.

Nirti

Medalist
Usually the north american athletes with chinese heritage choose to represent Taiwan or Hongkong... The only counterexample I remember is Jane Ruan, who switch from USA to China at junior level, but quickly disappeared from competition.
At the last US Junior championship, there's many chinese names (Alysa Liu, Ting Cui, Emily Zhang, Angelina Huang, Audrey Shin, Lily Sun, Jenna Shi... wow, 7 of 12 girls!), I'm curious to see if only one of them will switch.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Usually the north american athletes with chinese heritage choose to represent Taiwan or Hongkong... The only counterexample I remember is Jane Ruan, who switch from USA to China at junior level, but quickly disappeared from competition.
At the last US Junior championship, there's many chinese names (Alysa Liu, Ting Cui, Emily Zhang, Angelina Huang, Audrey Shin, Lily Sun, Jenna Shi... wow, 7 of 12 girls!), I'm curious to see if only one of them will switch.

If I were the Chinese fed, I would put my money on Alysa Liu and Ting Cui, and since China needs a stronger woman field for the 2022 Games, I would invest what's needed.
And if I were USFS, I would try my best to counter this, because these 2 are the new US wave and might be needed in the future. They are very promising.
However, skating for the country hosting the games, and money not being the issue could be VERY tempting...

frida80

Record Breaker
If I were the Chinese fed, I would put my money on Alysa Liu and Ting Cui, and since China needs a stronger woman field for the 2022 Games, I would invest what's needed.
And if I were USFS, I would try my best to counter this, because these 2 are the new US wave and might be needed in the future. They are very promising.
However, skating for the country hosting the games, and money not being the issue could be VERY tempting...

They’ll never get Ting or Alysa. USFS has given them their jacket is primed to hype them like crazy. They’re going to be treated very well in the next year or two. A better strategy is to choice someone that has Roman first potential but hasn’t obtained a national medal yet. Emily Zhang is perfect for that.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Ting and Alysa probably not the female skaters that Chinese fed can manage to get from USFS.
There are rumors about who might be the one. Emily Zhang seems is not the one rumored. My knowledge of this is very very limited. Just a disclaimer.

frida80

Record Breaker
Ting and Alysa probably not the female skaters that Chinese fed can manage to get from USFS.
There are rumors about who might be the one. Emily Zhang seems is not the one rumored. My knowledge of this is very very limited. Just a disclaimer.

She just a name that I thought off the top of my head. If you look at all the levels you’ll find lots of Chinese American ladies with lots of talent. They can also look at girls having an awkward time right now. Dealing with minor injuries and growth spurts so they’re not on the radar.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Usually the north american athletes with chinese heritage choose to represent Taiwan or Hongkong...

This, of course, depends on where their family is from. Mainlanders wouldn't just choose Taiwan or Hong Kong arbitrarily, or vice versa.

Xen

Rinkside
There are a couple Chinese girls who have moved overseas with parents at some point, and trained extensively overseas. Those are probably the skaters the CSA is talking about, not necessarily skaters already registered as citizens or long-term residents overseas, and already competing for other feds.

frida80

Record Breaker
There are a couple Chinese girls who have moved overseas with parents at some point, and trained extensively overseas. Those are probably the skaters the CSA is talking about, not necessarily skaters already registered as citizens or long-term residents overseas, and already competing for other feds.
THe rumor is they plan on looking at ladies with parents with Chinese citizenship and may offer dual citizenship just for potential athletes.

Xen

Rinkside
THe rumor is they plan on looking at ladies with parents with Chinese citizenship and may offer dual citizenship just for potential athletes.

The names are escaping me, but I do recall rinkmates talking about a couple of young girls who used to train in southern China (shanghai, shenzhen etc), before Zhao become head coach, and due to lack of ice time, good coaches etc, their families decided to simply move overseas. As for dual citizenship, Chinese gov't does not allow it, I doubt they'll make an exception just for this.