2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

irriya

On the Ice
two of the top pair ladies are so injured that they both have to withdraw. I can't help to think how they have been training. there must be something not quite right. :disapp:

Midnightcass

On the Ice
two of the top pair ladies are so injured that they both have to withdraw. I can't help to think how they have been training. there must be something not quite right. :disapp:

Both were old aggravated injuries. After the grind of Olys, it's probably nice to 'relax' and take the time to fully heal.
Perhaps Peng/Jin will make a breakthrough this season as they would no longer be hidden behind the shadows of their team mates. ✌

irriya

On the Ice
Both were old aggravated injuries. After the grind of Olys, it's probably nice to 'relax' and take the time to fully heal.
Perhaps Peng/Jin will make a breakthrough this season as they would no longer be hidden behind the shadows of their team mates. ✌

I'm just thinking they might need someone in the team helping them to schedule training better, and keep body healthy. I'm just thinking that Aljona Savchenko was able to add new difficult elements and at the same time keep a pretty good status at her age. There must be something wrong if the athletes get injured constantly, and they should think about the reason and make some changes.

saphire

On the Ice

I did not know Yu's foot injury was old injury. I really have not heard much about the details of it.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
I'm just thinking they might need someone in the team helping them to schedule training better, and keep body healthy. I'm just thinking that Aljona Savchenko was able to add new difficult elements and at the same time keep a pretty good status at her age. There must be something wrong if the athletes get injured constantly, and they should think about the reason and make some changes.
I mean injuries are part of the sport. We don't know anything about what goes on behind the scenes. I wouldn't say that these athletes are constantly injured.... I would like to think that Zhao being a former athlete himself, would impose changes in the training and ensure that all his skaters are training properly and safely.
I did not know Yu's foot injury was old injury. I really have not heard much about the details of it.
Yes I believe it is. Her fanclub's weibo first posted that she was currently treating an old aggravated injury. It seemed like it was more serious than they thought and she required more time to recuperate.

Eclair

Medalist
http://www.xinhuanet.com/sports/2018-08/01/c_1123204992.htm

This news article just came out a few days ago. They interviewed Renee Roca, who apparently is working with the Chinese team atm, and she was amazed that the couple could do throw triples after two months of practice.

Interesting read about xiangnin LI in pairs. Apparently, Hongbo Zhao says, that even though she is training pairs and pairs skating, they don't want to loose what she is good at (meaning triple jumps I assume), so it's still important that she goes to some training sessions alone.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
So programs we know so far from team China:
Men
Boyang Jin SP: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (performed by Peter Frampton)

Ladies
Hongyi Chen SP: Notte Stellata

Ice Dance
Wang/Liu SD: Pirates of the Caribbean (Angelica, He's a Pirate)
FD: Meant (by Elizaveta)
Ning/Wang SD: Santa Maria
Didn't catch their FD :scratch2:

Pairs
Peng/Jin SP: Ophelia (by The Lumineers)
FS: La Vie en rose (performed by Patricia Kaas)
Wang/Wang SP: I put a spell on you

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Link to Peng/JIn 's SP as I couldn't find the stream:

https://twitter.com/fang_minji/status/1025646689426624512

good music, terrible dress. Her dress says: what a 13 year old would wear to the first date. The music and choreography says: deep emotions, contemporary. She needs more of a party dress or contemporary dress.

Ugh, agreed... the colors are rather off too. Oh well, I like the program; hopefully we'll see a costume change later.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So I think Wang/Liu are now undoubtedly Asia's #1 ranked dance team and with the two great programs they have this year, that won them the Asian Open Trophy over the Parsons, they have a chance to finish in the Top 5 at both of their GPs. For Skate Canada, the teams that will almost be guaranteed to beat them are: Gilles/Poirier, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, and Hubbell/Donohue and for NHK: Papadakis/Cizeron, Zagorski/Guerreiro. and Hawayek/Baker. If they keep on improving and further develop their programs, they can very well finish among the top of the middle ranked teams. A top 5 finish in either GP would be a personal best GP placement for them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the teams that Wang/Liu have to watch out for are the second Italian, French, Spanish, Canadian (and their third team as well w/o Weapo) and British teams off the top of my head - this assumes France, all three American teams, 2 Russians, Gilles and Porier, C and L are all ahead. I may have forgotten some teams

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I think the teams that Wang/Liu have to watch out for are the second Italian, French, Spanish, Canadian (and their third team as well w/o Weapo) and British teams off the top of my head - this assumes France, all three American teams, 2 Russians, Gilles and Porier, C and L are all ahead. I may have forgotten some teams

But they're not facing Guignard/Fabbri or Fear/Gibson on the GPs. They should be ahead of Tweedale/Buckland and Sales/Wamsteeker, who they've beat at 4CC convincingly last season. Otherwise, they will be duking it out for Top 5 in their GPs with the teams you mentioned that they need to watch out for

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Li/Xie got Finland GP spot. So as a newly formed team, they have two GP spots.
Can't wait to see what they produce.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Li/Xie got Finland GP spot. So as a newly formed team, they have two GP spots.
Can't wait to see what they produce.

Yep, such is the benefits of a post-olympics season. I don't want to get my hopes up too much for a team we haven't even seen yet(and one that's new to pairs, at that), but I'm kinda excited that we finally have a Chinese pair girl who actually has triples. I don't know how she's going to manage training programs for both pairs and ladies though. I really hope this partnership works out for Zhong; this is his 6th, poor guy. I quite like his skating, too.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So I think Wang/Liu are now undoubtedly Asia's #1 ranked dance team and with the two great programs they have this year, that won them the Asian Open Trophy over the Parsons.

Helped them win over the Parsons. Rachel's fall (i.e. hand down that counted as a fall) on the twizzles and trip on the entry of the opening lift were major factors too.

I agree that Wang & Liu are currently Asia's number one team, with both Muramoto & Reed and Min & Gamelin splitting. I don't know if W&L will fight for top five at their events or not. Seventh or eight is more likely at SC based on the end of last season. (Hard to know where Skoptcova & Aleshin will factor since junior scores are not comparable to senior ones). Though personally, I prefer W&L to Lauriault & Le Gac. At NHK, W&L's Worlds results would slot them sixth. Though I think that battle between fourth or fifth and all the way down to eighth there could be very interesting. (Ignoring the unknown factor of whoever gets the open slot).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^ Their PCS at Worlds somehow took a tumble of 4-5 points from their season's averages. That affected their placement. At the time of Worlds, there were some rumors that they were going to split so that Han Yan could skate with Shiyue in ice dance. Fortunately they are still together :pray: and made some noticeable improvements already training with M-F/P for these few months. Great programs showing better projection, musicality, and improved flow through some of their elements. One foot combination step sequence in their FD is very well choreographed to the music; although, they need to work on their speed overall and their edges on the pattern and other step sequences especially. However, these programs have a lot of potential to grow, especially their FD, which requires much more emotional depth compared to last season. I agree the battle will be very exciting for these middle ranked teams (and a lot of them have the same coaches too).