2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

s_parks

Record Breaker
Don't worry, still wild speculation by netizens right now. The only thing I would worry about at the moment is that we don't know much about Zhang Hao's plans. Chances are that someone's getting moved around, but I think Li/Zhong will be stable this year.

Hopefully the plans are retirement.

Eclair

Medalist
here is a little bit more info about the purpose of the training camp:

http://drag0ness.tumblr.com/post/177959659217/the-establishment-of-the-pangtong-national-figure

good news is, that apparently, this camp is a great initiative to catch skaters who wants to continue skating but were not included by the national team for one reason or the other. So far, thumbs up for Pang/Tong doing this. Not only is it meant to be a short camp, but it includes financial support for the athletes who do well and training arrangements with national and oversees coaches.

second good news is, that it says that those athlete can be directly selected to the 2022 Olympics, if they perform well and as I understand it, without being part of the national team. So here is some hope for Han Yan.

it also says, that they invited those athletes listed, because they want to encourage them, pick them up in their low, and give them hope to continue skating, bring back their love for skating. But this is only a list of invitees and it is not known, whether they attend or not.

Their take on Zijun is, that it's not about her skills or abilities, but that it's not her time to retire yet. So they hope to encourage her with this camp. It is unknown, whether Zijun wants to attend or not. So, it's still unclear for me, whether Zijun will come back or not. The good thing is, her Instagram says she is in Beijing right now (that's also where the camp is taking place). But still, that could have a lot of reasons, so don't get your hopes up.

Sadly, the article states that Xiaoyu is currently looking for a partner, but she has a very clear direction. Currently, Chinese single skating is lacking depth, so if she wants to try, she can.

All in all it looks like this initiative is really nice one in their thoughts of catching and picking up those athletes. :thumbsup: Pang/Tong was always my favourite pair during their competitive days and it seems they have a heart of gold too ;)

Mdk0144

On the Ice
nonononono....
please tell me that's a false rumor by the chinese netizens that hate zhang hao...
Zhong is quite good individually, and finally deserves a partner that has two triples. And while I like both him and xiaoyu, I don't think he's tall enough for her. I'd like to just dismiss it as a rumor seeing as they were in a news clip(posted in this thread) not too long ago and are still on the GP entries, but... I can't put anything past the CSA :palmf:
Well, I did hear a rumor before that zhang wanted to pair up with sui when the partner switch drama happened, but apparently zhao drew the line there and told him hell no, so I hope if there's any basis in this speculation zhao will tell him the same.

I don’t know whether zhao is clever enough as a coach. If he didn’t split Yu and Jin, i think they could have even look for a world&grand prix final&four continents medal this upcoming season. He mixed it all over and then it turned out to be a disqualify for the free skate for a four continents silver medalist and a two-time junior worlds champion.
I actually think Yu/Xie wouldn’t be bad at all, because his previous partner Yumeng Gao was also tall and he still nailed the technical part very excellently.
I guess the chinese women pair skaters are really tall except for Sui. Even Shen Xue was over 160cm.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Chinese Fed is ridiculous. They split very promising couple, to make a supposedly better couple, only to split them again. That's just cruel. Have they not realized that it's not working? :palmf:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Chinese Fed is ridiculous. They split very promising couple, to make a supposedly better couple, only to split them again. That's just cruel. Have they not realized that it's not working? :palmf:

What on earth makes you think the Chinese Fed is responsible for splitting up Yu & Zhang? She's had a bad injury and he's been skating for many quadrenniums. This is brand new information. I can't imagine splitting them up and leaving her without a partner was in the plans. Sometimes things go wrong that no one can foresee or control.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
here is a little bit more info about the purpose of the training camp:

http://drag0ness.tumblr.com/post/177959659217/the-establishment-of-the-pangtong-national-figure

second good news is, that it says that those athlete can be directly selected to the 2022 Olympics, if they perform well and as I understand it, without being part of the national team. So here is some hope for Han Yan.

Just want to add some notes of cautions: when I read through the link above I notice that no source of the original article is provided. And later on I found the source of the original news report in Chinese. I think the English translation in generally goes with what's been reported in the news, but the part of 'directly selected to the 22' Olympics' looks really...'suspicious'. I did read the original announcement in Chinese and understand that this project by PT is in support from Chinese Olympic Committee. But I think in the news report in Chinese, it states something like 'for those who perform well (in the tryout?), they'll "get directly on the train through directly to the 22' Oly" [成绩优秀者,将直接进入2022冬奥会的直通车] ' but NOT directly saying anything about automatically selected for Olympic spots.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
What on earth makes you think the Chinese Fed is responsible for splitting up Yu & Zhang? She's had a bad injury and he's been skating for many quadrenniums. This is brand new information. I can't imagine splitting them up and leaving her without a partner was in the plans. Sometimes things go wrong that no one can foresee or control.

Probably because the Chinese fed had strokes of genius before like forcefully splitting Yu/Jin. And honestly, with Yu/Zhang now splitting - for whatever reason - what many thought was a horribly short-sighted idea that could cost them their biggest medal candidates after Sui/Han for 2022 looks now even more likely to be just that. Talented and promising as other skaters and paris are, I don't think had Yu/Jin been given support they'd be behind any other team not S/H in China right now. So, the Chinese fed isn't exactly going to get benefit of the doubt.
Additionally, "Zhang has been skating for quadrenniums" isn't exactly an argument - they knew that when they split Yu/Jin in basically his favor. So at the very least, this is a calculated risk they took there, and it's still on the Chinese fed :shrug:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Since when an injury means you're left partnerless? You're right that I hvae no information it was like that though. But I don't see other couples being split just because one of them is injured. Usually they wait for the other to heal and still skate together. And her injury can't be that bad if she's looking for new partner, right? And just because Chinese Fed didn't plan on splitting them, doesn't mean they didn't do that. I doubt the last time Xiaoyu was informed much beforehand that she'll be changing partners...

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
hat zhang wanted to pair up with sui when the partner switch drama happened, but apparently zhao drew the line there and told him hell no, so I hope if there's any basis in this speculation zhao will tell him the same.

wow, really? (i know you said rumor but it wouldnt surprise me if it was true) but i doubt either Sui or Han would agree even if Zhao was on board, i remember Han said he wouldnt skate with anyone else if Sui wasnt his partner and i think she feels the same so they probably would be like "i dare you all to break us" :p

yqs100

On the Ice
After a few month recovering, Yu/ Zhang is back on ice, they are training at Team Beijing’s camp.

The goal this year is still recovering, will start crafting new programs by end of Sep.

PS: this is a thread to update news or status of team China, please don’t post any gossip or artificial stories which don’t have reliable source. Thanks.

Caustica

Final Flight
After a few month recovering, Yu/ Zhang is back on ice, they are training at Team Beijing’s camp.

The goal this year is still recovering, will start crafting new programs by end of Sep.

PS: this is a thread to update news or status of team China, please don’t post any gossip or artificial stories which don’t have reliable source. Thanks.

Do you have a source?

Eclair

Medalist
Yes, you will see them if you go to team beijing’s Camp. Thanks

why is pang/tong's twitter saying, that Yu is invited to train in singles because is has no partner at the moment then? Which one is true? Is she now training with Zhang or is she not?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is interesting. I am very curious what is the reasoning for these splits or changes and what really is going on. Also, what is the real injury/health situation with Sui and Han. I get the impression that China is really focussing or desperate for Beijing. And the window of opportunity is there with Russia not really have a super team, Canada rebuilding, USA seems to be still trying to develop; Italy splitting and not really quite there, the French are definitely beatable; now what are the Chinese going to do. Zhang has been kind of the golden boy or the chosen one. Though he has been around for a while. I guess ideally China wants to be back in the day when they had two dominant teams.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Uh, Sui really was injured...she was doing rehab and got back on the ice not that long ago. She just started doing triples again a few days ago. Someone posted videos.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No I know she was injured bu the issue is really how is she healing. This is the problem people say they are doing triples are quads but are they really landing them consistently in competition or ready for competition is different.

s_parks

Record Breaker
No I know she was injured bu the issue is really how is she healing. This is the problem people say they are doing triples are quads but are they really landing them consistently in competition or ready for competition is different.

?
Dude, it hasn't been that long since she recovered. Same situation as 16-17 season. Her triple jumps are what they are. As to how she's healing, again, videos and news updates have already been posted quite recently. They were in Canada getting choreo a while ago. And when did they say they were doing quad throws? Not that they'd be worth the risk for any pair right now. I'm not sure exactly what info you're expecting.