Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season

TGee

Record Breaker
Some decisions by ISU Council during their Seville meetings:

- Minimum TES for 2019 4CCs/Euros/Worlds will be decided during October 12-14 meeting because they first want to see the scores of first Senior Bs

Wow...[emoji51]

This will make it hard for countries assigning senior Bs and other qualifying events.

If they don't know how much is enough, their lower ranked seniors may not be given the opportunity to qualify...

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think I understood the whole qualification system wrongly at first (see my earlier post), but on this particular issue: I'm all for increasing the number to 24 at the Olympics and 20 pairs going through. Four additional pairs teams in the competition. Yay! (I rather liked it that there were 22 this year instead of 20, whatever the reasons that this happened).
It was 22 this year because South Korea got a spot as a host and North Korea got a wildcard from the IOC (they qualified, then gave up their spot by missing the deadline to accept the spot, then got a special wildcard spot when North Korea agreed to send a team).

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Some decisions by ISU Council during their Seville meetings:

- Judges Draw for the 2019 ISU Figure Skating Championships shall be held on the morning of Thursday October 11, 2018 in Geneva, Switzerland

- Minimum TES for 2019 4CCs/Euros/Worlds will be decided during October 12-14 meeting because they first want to see the scores of first Senior Bs

That last one doesn't seem very fair to me. Shouldn't these competitors know before they start competing what scores they need to go 4CC/Euros and Worlds?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
That last one doesn't seem very fair to me. Shouldn't these competitors know before they start competing what scores they need to go 4CC/Euros and Worlds?

I can understand, though. Since the new rules & plus/minus five GOE may change the average scores dramatically. Also it's only the start of the quadrennium. Maybe better to start off not knowing & then be given a realistic target rather than having an unfair target set.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can understand, though. Since the new rules & plus/minus five GOE may change the average scores dramatically. Also it's only the start of the quadrennium. Maybe better to start off not knowing & then be given a realistic target rather than having an unfair target set.

Yes, I think it's a fairly reasonable choice because of this. It lets them see how the new system will shake out in practice over a range of real competitions, most of which won't be packed with the highest performers in the field, rather than guessing based on trial runs and theory. It does create some knock-on issues - for example, I believe Australian skaters have a time window after individual competitions for claiming their incentive payments for making the FCC and Worlds minimum TES, so ISA might have to make an exception to that for this year given the likelihood that some skaters will make the minimums retroactively, as it were - but it's better than leaving an outdated or unrealistic target in place.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Bumping this thread to leave the revised rules and SoV documents, as posted today (June 25) by ISU:

Special Regulations and Technical Rules accepted by the 57th ISU Congress for Single & Pair Skating
ISU Communication 2176
I. Special Regulations
Changes in Rules 353, 414, 415, 430 & 431
II. Technical Rules
Changes in Rules 504, 520, 610, 611, 612, 620 & 621

Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for marking Grade of Execution, season 2018/19 (revised)

ISU Communication 2168

If a mod or the OP would like to add the links to the initial post...