Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember 24 years ago when Michelle Kwan at age 13 was going to Worlds (no Nancy or Tonya) and a co-worker said to me "I don't want to watch a stupid little girl" - and yes I still remember that nasty comment after all these years. Nothing new to these arguments as far as I am concerned. Same old same old.

If there is one thing I’ve learned from my time at GS it is that no one hates figure skating more than figure skating fans. Not sure if your coworker counts as a fan though :laugh:

What an unpleasant way to carry yourself about :slink:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
If there is one thing I’ve learned from my time at GS it is that no one hates figure skating more than figure skating fans.

What an unpleasant way to carry yourself about :slink:
I think because there is some "art" involved people have very personal opionions about it. A lot is very subjective.

And its a sad state of affairs that another "event" 24 years ago is what gave figure skating a huge boost in popularity in the ensuing years.

tjb

Match Penalty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdfZZmdF2k
this little lady looks like young natalia osipova on ice (who also was an accomplished ballerina starting from the age of 11 and had more artistry in her finger toe already at this age that some other mature women that people are calling great ballerinas). i think that no one on the senior scene can't touch this girls PCS, not even carolina. but she has no curves, she's not an idol and she also jumps quads in practice, so it's probably an insult to compare her to senior skaters. she must be labeled as a jumping bean

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I heard the names Costner and Medvedeva that are being viewed as idols and need to stay undefeated.
Oh please, Caro doesn't even care that much anymore about the results ( she has say that a lot this season, with bigger smiles than ever ).

The quad development, and girls quick replacement that can results, can potentially damage way more other competitive skaters now just past 18, that may think of retire instead of try to work for earn a pass for the next Olympics.

lesnar001

Record Breaker

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
this little lady looks like young natalia osipova on ice (who also was an accomplished ballerina starting from the age of 11 and had more artistry in her finger toe already at this age that some others that people are calling great ballerinas). i think that no one on the senior scene can't touch this girls in PCS, not even carolina. but she has no curves, she's not an idol and she also jumps quads in practice, so it's probably an insult to compare her to senior skaters. she must be labeled as a jumping bean

It’s an amazing performance that anyone would be proud to turn in.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The quad development, and girls quick replacement that can results, can potentially damage way more other competitive skaters now just past 18, that may think of retire instead of try to work for earn a pass for the next Olympics.

Like who?

Ziotic

Medalist
this little lady looks like young natalia osipova on ice (who also was an accomplished ballerina starting from the age of 11 and had more artistry in her finger toe already at this age that some other mature women that people are calling great ballerinas). i think that no one on the senior scene can't touch this girls in PCS, not even carolina. but she has no curves, she's not an idol and she also jumps quads in practice, so it's probably an insult to compare her to senior skaters. she must be labeled as a jumping bean

I don’t find her artistic...sorry. She looks like a flailing girl going through the motions with poor control of her limbs. I honestly had to force myself to watch the whole thing.

Different people just prefer different aesthetics and this does NOTHING for me.

She also barely looks up from ice to engage the audience.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t find her artistic...sorry. She looks like a flailing girl going through the motions with poor control of her limbs.

Different people just prefer different aesthetics.

Wow...what a terrible way to describe that performance. Whether your selective taste is fulfilled or not is of a completely different matter than showing respect and decency for her efforts. Yikes.

She also barely looks up from ice to engage the audience.

Some skaters choose to use the language that figure skating movements create to form that connection as opposed to making obvious gestures. Both ways are quite effective if the audience themselves engage ;)

Ziotic

Medalist
Wow...what a terrible way to describe that performance. Whether your selective taste is fulfilled or not is of a completely different matter than showing respect and decency for her efforts. Yikes.

She’s clearly doing exactly what was taught to her, her effort In that respect is great. Unfortunately the way she moves and projects is not appealing to me. I don’t see how that’s disrespectful.

tjb

Match Penalty
"flailing girl going through the motions with poor control of her limbs":laugh:

Ziotic

Medalist

Some skaters choose to use the language that figure skating movements create to form that connection as opposed to making obvious gestures. Both ways are quite effective if the audience themselves engage ;)

I’m not saying wink 😉 at the audience or anything , but she watches her feet on the ice. Almost like she needs to see the ice under her feet to know it’s there.

To me her performance is technical with little to no emotion. I’m left feeling cold when watching it.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
She’s clearly doing exactly what was taught to her, her effort In that respect is great. Unfortunately the way she moves and projects is not appealing to me. I don’t see how that’s disrespectful.
I'd hate to see what your "disrepectful" comments would be like.
The "had to force myself to watch the whole thing" was a nice touch.

Ziotic

Medalist
"flailing girl going through the motions with poor control of her limbs":laugh:

It’s extemely apparent every time she does cross cuts. She can’t control her core and has to swing her entire upper body to gain momentum.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd hate to see what your "disrepectful" comments would be like.
The "had to force myself to watch the whole thing" was a nice touch.

I guess I’m just a poor simpleton who doesn’t know any better. Ya see..I’m around skaters her age like everyday and they struggle to get even one triple let alone a fraction of the performance ability. Maybe one day I’ll get it. There is only one type of skater that deserves my respect and thank god the ISU and it’s finicky fans are here to let us all know what that skater is supposed to look like. :laugh:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I guess I’m just a poor simpleton who doesn’t know any better. Ya see..I’m around skaters her age like everyday and they struggle to get even one triple let alone a fraction of the performance ability. Maybe one day I’ll get it. There is only one type of skater that deserves my respect and thank god the ISU and it’s finicky fans are here to let us all know what that skater is supposed to look like. :laugh:

You obviously need to be "Re-Educated"

Sitting alone in a dark room watching hours of Koola King videos.

Ziotic

Medalist
You’ve gone just so far off topic and made this all about your personal preferences instead of discussing and relating the discussion to and about the proposals.

FTR: Nastya, Dasha, Alena, and Sasha all have very different styles. If you can’t see that you clearly shouldn’t make comments about Eteri’s students.

So...men in tights :biggrin:

Men should be able to wear tights if they like.

Raising the age seems arbitrary, it shouldn’t matter either way. If someone is the best at 15 why wouldnt they be even better at 17?? Artistry doesn’t come from age, it comes from life experience and practice.

Backloading should only be on the back half of the jumps, because your jumping legs won’t be tired in the last two minutes if you didn’t do any jumping in the first two.

Not allowing repeat quads seems silly, simple zayak rules should continue to apply.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Like who?
There is really a need to do the list now ? :con3:
We have four years ahead, and we are potentially still one year before the coming of quads girls on senior. It is obviously that, as now, even Alina has not a lot of chances to go to the next Olympics, let alone the others Russians and Japanese.
We also need to understand if, for example, the better Canadian, when aware that their possibilities of replicate their better results can disappear, will think of retire or take advantage of the actual lacking of substitutes.

Between them, Kostner is way the less affected by all this discussion.

Anyway, the proposals are structural changes, not "make that skater stand out and the other retire" change. For the Feds, make decisions because that single point change can be good for one of their skater, or the limit can affect or not one of their novice, would just be ridiculous.