Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't blame them. I will rather enjoying a tinto de verano at beautiful Seville streets than being there.

but then its their job and all, they are probably getting paid to be there. I still blame them.

moriel

Record Breaker
That's a tough rule. Does it apply to all votes? It would be rather difficult to decide on anything when such a majority is needed...

No it does not apply to regular stuff, just the emergency motions i think

russianfan

Match Penalty
That's a tough rule. Does it apply to all votes? It would be rather difficult to decide on anything when such a majority is needed...

On the other hand it would be silly if the majority which doesn't have any top skaters(or hardly has any skaters) would decide what figure skating should be like. Look at the list of countries who approved age limit proposal - I don't remember any female skaters representing the countries listed there (except Italy)

moriel

Record Breaker
On the other hand it would be silly if the majority which doesn't have any top skaters(or hardly has any skaters) would decide what figure skating should be like. Look at the list of countries which approved age limit proposal - I don't remember any female skaters representing the countries listed there (except Italy)

And the speed folks are ridiculous tbh.

I dunno, i think a requirement to vote would be to have a skater competing internationally at ISU sanctioned events, either on juniors or seniors.
But on the other hand, this would exclude small feds so dunno.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well if it won't affect them why should they get a say? it's the same reason I don't like speed skating getting to vote on figure skating issues

moriel

Record Breaker
Well if it won't affect them why should they get a say? it's the same reason I don't like speed skating getting to vote on figure skating issues

Nah, i think small FS feds should still have a say, because it is part of developing the sport imho, allowing them to have a say on those things.
Yes, they have few skaters (see Brazil for example), but not everything is the big 4.

Overall, i suppose, having a skater at any isu event during the previous season or two would be fair.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Because 1.) it might affect them in the future and 2.) being interested, invested in FS and having the necessary knowledge and qualification is not related to having another person competing from the same country?
Honestly, the big feds with many skaters have influence enough I'd think. Again, just look at CAN and proposal 6, and the US vs. CHN judges from PC...

gkelly

Record Breaker
but then its their job and all, they are probably getting paid to be there.

Most likely their travel expenses etc. have been paid by their federations, but they are not receiving any personal compensation, and if they have day jobs they may be losing income by volunteering their time to represent their federations at the congress.

On the other hand it would be silly if the majority which doesn't have any top skaters(or hardly has any skaters) would decide what figure skating should be like. Look at the list of countries which approved age limit proposal - I don't remember any female skaters representing the countries listed there (except Italy)

I think most of these countries have had skaters on the JGP, at Jr Worlds/Euros/4Cs, some of them at Worlds, a couple at Olympics, and in other senior B events.

It does affect them and their skaters even if they don't currently have "top" skaters known to fans.

If they have promising skaters of 11-12 looking forward to JGP soon, when those skaters will be eligible for senior events would certainly be of interest even if they don't currently have any international-level seniors.

Danny T

Medalist
They're going through the proposals now at here. Not sure when they will vote though - they're just reviewing them for now.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Nevertheless, they exist. And at least one of those countries has six capable girl juniors who'd all be entering seniors later than expected if the motion went through, and four or five promising boys, yet they still voted for it. Those countries have a right to care about what happens to their skaters, and vote in their best interests for the setup that gives the kids the best chances in life and sport, even if their assessment of what constitutes their best interests goes against the preferences of more moneyed federations.

Are we sure these guys should vote on stuff like "PCS" and "entertainment value"? Watching them, it's extremely apparent why the programs are becoming more boring by the season. They're voting on them, after all.

Danny T

Medalist
This is rather ... embarassing to watch. These guys have worse preparation than a high school debate session :palmf:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where can we see the vote results? I would love to know who would ever vote for allowing the president of a federation to judge. I mean...that’s just ridiculous to stand up in front of the world of figure skating and declare you support such judging conflict of interests. Yikes... :scard7:

Andrea82

Medalist
They should ask the legal representative if they can discuss raising to 25 the number of ice dance teams making the FD at Worlds...they make it like a state secret affair..

Legal rep says no, they can't talk about it now.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Are we sure these guys should vote on stuff like "PCS" and "entertainment value"? Watching them, it's extremely apparent why the programs are becoming more boring by the season. They're voting on them, after all.

I bet if they were suggested a policy of enforcing Carmen and Swan lake and any classic european music program get extra pcs points, they will get the 4/5 majority vote.

The majority 80% pass rule pass is ridiculous... As long as ISU hold at least 20% majority hardcore supporters, nothing will ever get passed or changed... You have more chance of getting a merit in exams and pass a US president election than getting anything changed under ISU.

This is rather ... embarassing to watch. These guys have worse preparation than a high school debate session :palmf:

Pretty much. Not speakers, that's for sure.

I bet if they were suggested a policy of enforcing Carmen and Swan lake and any classic european music program get extra pcs points, they will get the 4/5 majority vote.

The majority 80% pass rule pass is ridiculous... As long as ISU hold at least 20% majority hardcore supporters, nothing will ever get passed or changed... You have more chance of getting a merit in exams and pass a US president election than getting anything changed under ISU.

:laugh2::rofl: