Should minimum age for seniors be raised? | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Should minimum age for seniors be raised?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Who knows, only time will show. But Eteri has the best talents from all over the country come to her (have to say rightly so, she cracked the code). So if 04-05 and 05-06 age groups won't be much stronger, I doubt they would be weaker either, but then it would be wrong to keep them from public eyes due to crazy competitiveness within the field as well.
I really think they're weaker. The only skater who at this point isn't just plain unremarkable is Kamila Valieva, but she's really struggled and is a bit unsure. Everyone else... I just don't see it. Consistent jumping they could do but it's going to take more than that. Panova's pretty unproven, just about the only one she's produced is Sotskova and she doesn't get scored through the roof internationally unlike domestically.

I still predict that it's going to end up being a significant negative for the popularity of figure skating if these rules pass. Diluting the talent pool even further is the last thing they should seek to do.

charlotte14

Medalist
It seems rufed doesn't care
Are you sure? They know they have many talents who will be age eligible for 2022 but will parents send their kids to the rink once they know they will have to wait for quite longer to compete at the Olympics?

lets raise it to 16 then, there shouldnt be a problem, that way we calm down both sides, Alina is having grown problems, she is 15, lets say that if they raised the age, the juniors would have a "calm" year to get thought that, and wouldnt affect their competitive season, and all the juniors who were aiming to 2022 could still compete, deal? or not deal?

18 its too much, 17 meh, 16, sweet sixteen, and thats the age where teens can work in many countries

excuse my english, I dont know where is my grammar :/

Grin

Medalist
Are you sure? They know they have many talents who will be age eligible for 2022 but will parents send their kids to the rink once they know they will have to wait for quite longer to compete at the Olympics?

Lakernik doesn't care much, CSKA are for age limit change. Even Pogo is for age limit change (she is from Sambo-70). Eteri is silent

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Butyrskaya is against, Eteri's probably been told by someone to shut her mouth after those comments about Evgenia...
would Pogorilaya be for the change if she was directly affected by it?

Nilf

Rinkside
Raising age to 17 they gonna cut a quarter of the skaters. I wonder are they really sure that older skaters will stay with sport.
This is active skaters age density.
After 18 ladies skaters retire pretty actively. And here age dynamic by seasons.

beachmouse

On the Ice
Nadal and Serena Williams were precocious too. If they still compete it's not because some congress wanted to protect their youth and health.

Actually it is. Juniors in the pro ranks used to be a total free for all and many a talented child got chewed up and spit out before they were really ready to show their full talent. (Andrea Jaeger comes to mind in that category) It took a pretty impressive flame out by Jennifer Capriati for the tennis governing bodies to put limits on senior tournaments for under 18s.

Great point. Another thing to watch is social media activity. Some skaters get hundreds of comments, some get a couple. These are very good indicators of what skaters actually want to watch. And that tends to be: The best and most talented skaters, regardless of their age.
Wouldn't surprise me. Odd though, because they still would be eligible for Olympics.

You do realize that you can take this to a logical conclusion on the men's side that what people really want is to not see any dudes doing quads because Jason Brown's programs get huge numbers of YouTube views.

Manitou

Medalist
I didn't read the whole thread, I've just got the news, but if they pass it would it mean for Alina to go back to juniors for a year??? That would be ridiculous.
17 might be unrealistic to pass the voting, but 16 would be more likely. And this way Alina would still compete. I am for 17 in the long term, but excluding the current reigning Olympic gold medalist for a year would be too cruel.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Raising age to 17 they gonna cut a quarter of the skaters. I wonder are they really sure that older skaters will stay with sport.
This is active skaters age density.
After 18 ladies skaters retires pretty actively. And here age dynamic by seasons.
Consider this: If they should decide to approve this proposal, they would do it for change that density, trying to increase the number of over 19 on competitions.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I didn't read the whole thread, I've just got the news, but if they pass it would it mean for Alina to go back to juniors for a year??? That would be ridiculous.
17 might be unrealistic to pass the voting, but 16 would be more likely. And this way Alina would still compete. I am for 17 in the long term, but excluding the current reigning Olympic gold medalist for a year would be too cruel.

Actually, the proposal is about 2020, so Alina has no problem. Still, a two year change can't be executed instantly. Approve that means, most likely, to raise the limit to 16 on 2019 and then to 17 later.

Regarding of what anyone can think about that, a sudden change is clearly wrong. Actual 14 years old juniors are preparing already for jumping in next season, so they can't be instantly pushed back for three years.

So, to me, if all of this proposal is not for just leaving actual quad girls to junior, it is something that, if approved, need to be applied more slowly. A change to 16 on 2020, for example, and for 17 on 2022, so without newer younger skaters the Olympic season, and without anyone pushed back too much.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Consider this: If they should decide to approve this proposal, they would do it for change that density, trying to increase the number of over 19 on competitions.
That makes no sense. How would it reduce the amount of retirements for skaters above the age of 19? I actually predict it'll cause people to start retiring even earlier.

Katie0906

On the Ice

The proposal will take effect at yr.2020-2021. Alina is turning 16 tomorrow.

moriel

Record Breaker

It wouldnt increase. Skaters don't quit because they got into seniors. They quit because they cannot compete anymore.
And junior level will be harsher than ever, with more skaters fighting for same number of spots.

Nilf

Rinkside

But it is very bold step to increase limit by 2 years. It is literally a quarter of the skaters. Is it urgent to do such vigorous changes? And the number of over 19 cannot be more than the number of freshers, they have a good chance to undermine sports health when juniors will begin to retire before 17.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
You do realize that you can take this to a logical conclusion on the men's side that what people really want is to not see any dudes doing quads because Jason Brown's programs get huge numbers of YouTube views.
:think: First of all, I don't really care about Men. Second, his high view count videos are 4 years old. It might be relevant if they were getting such views recently. Third, Yuzuru Hanyu for instance gets far more views anyway.

You have to realize that a Man doing quads really isn't that special at this point.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
That makes no sense. How would it reduce the amount of retirements for skaters above the age of 19? I actually predict it'll cause people to start retiring even earlier.
It may be true if not supported, and if they don't add another intermediate category, like advanced junior or something, with decent rewards, but they believe that who is going to be competitive on senior will then have less motives to retire, just because there would not be anymore 15y girls taking the light like candles, that mostly risk to win and then burning out very quickly, because of how their body change at those years.