Suspected overbooting | Golden Skate

Suspected overbooting

missliving

Spectator
Hi everyone,
Im new to the board and need some advice. Any advice would be good. Thanks in advanced.
Background:
I am a 24yr. old female who is 5ft and weighs about 100lbs. I am a semi-beginner ( I suppose) currently in Basic 5/6 and moving up. My old skates were very old riedells that were 2-3 sizes too big for me. So, I ended up getting a new pair of skates. The new pair are Jackson elites (DJ 3900). My parents found them on ebay for about 150 and bought them as a birthday present for me. Unfortunately they had them waterproofed and sharpened so I can not return them. I tried them and they are very stiff, I do not think I can break them in at all. If someone can give me advice on what to do, that would be great.
Do I just cut my loss and buy a new pair in my skill range? Do I keep trying to break them in? Should I try to sell them?
Thanks.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hi everyone,
Im new to the board and need some advice. Any advice would be good. Thanks in advanced.
Background:
I am a 24yr. old female who is 5ft and weighs about 100lbs. I am a semi-beginner ( I suppose) currently in Basic 5/6 and moving up. My old skates were very old riedells that were 2-3 sizes too big for me. So, I ended up getting a new pair of skates. The new pair are Jackson elites (DJ 3900). My parents found them on ebay for about 150 and bought them as a birthday present for me. Unfortunately they had them waterproofed and sharpened so I can not return them. I tried them and they are very stiff, I do not think I can break them in at all. If someone can give me advice on what to do, that would be great.
Do I just cut my loss and buy a new pair in my skill range? Do I keep trying to break them in? Should I try to sell them?
Thanks.

If the skates fit well when you put them on, that's good. But if it's legitimately hurting you or the fit feels off at all, then get rid of them/sell them as you'll never be stable in uncomfortable/ill-fitting skates even if you manage to break them in. You can try heating the skate up with a hair dryer for 2-3 minutes and then lacing them up and wearing them around the house to break them in. But listen to your body/feet... if it's absolutely unbearable, then ditch em.

A coach should also be able to advise you as to whether the boots are worth it. It's also "only" $150, which is not a terrible loss (bearing in mind how much skating costs in general!).

Also, tell your parents next time to not buy you skates from eBay, even if the thought is appreciated. ;)

khi

Rinkside
How long have you tried skating in them for? Sometimes moving up a level or two in skates can mean quite the adjustment period. When I first got my risport rf3 super (from the beginner, completely broken-down skates I had before) I felt like I was skating in concrete boots at first. I spent the first hour or two terribly missing my old skates before I started to get used to the new ones. These days they just feel like regular skates. I'd try a couple of skating sessions before giving up on them, just to see if they get any easier to skate in.

That said, I didn't have much luck finding definitive information about them online (one site suggests there are multiple versions of the boots rated all the way from axel to triples/quads) but you're quite small and light so if they are very stiff you might have trouble ever breaking them in. :( It is important to be able to achieve a good knee bend in skates! Do you have a coach you could ask for advice?

Kypma

Final Flight
Hi everyone,
Background:
Thanks.

These are the old Jackson Elite Supremes (comparable to the top of the current 5k line, for those who are more familiar with them - rated for triple jumps). For comparison, I am approximately the same age and size as you, and I never fully broke in my Elite Plus (DJ 3300, so one or two steps in stiffness below from yours) in the six years I had them, with consistent singles to a Lutz and working on Axel / beginning double jumps. I'm sure your parents meant well and thought they were investing in your future, but my humble opinion would be that you have indeed been overbooted. I kept skating in those boots since I eventually got them to a decent level of break-in, where I could bend my ankles reasonably, but I have now switched to a lower level boot (for other reasons also) and it has made a world of difference in my skating. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - many fitters believe in giving an adult a stronger boot than at a comparable level for a kid, which is accurate, but only to a degree. I think you'd be fine in a boot rated for singles up to (and maybe including) Axel, but I'm far from being an expert.

jf12

Final Flight
Hi everyone,
Background:
Thanks.

I would get new boots! It will cost you more than 150$ in lessons and ice time if your progress is limited by not feeling like you can bend. It’s important to try on boots at the store - each person will have their own preference as to what stiffness (within a reasonable range) is most comfortable for them. At least 150$ was a good price and you’ll probably be able to resell them for that price or keep them for when you can use them.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Do you have a good skate pro near you? If so, go see them, and bring the boots. It may be that the boots can be adjusted so they suit you better. It may be that, for example, heat molding and not lacing up the top hook will make them work. Or it may be that they aren't going to work for you, and you may be able to sell them and use the money toward new boots that do work for you. You may also be able to split the boot - keep the blades and put them on new boots, but sell the boots themselves. Talk to a good skate pro.

If you tell us where you are, we may be able to recommend a good pro nearish to you. You can also ask the skating school director or an experienced coach at your rink.

If these are rated for triples, they are more boot than you need. But, again, you should be able to sell them with the blades on them, or - if the pro thinks the blades will be fine for you, and that they will fit the new pair of boots you plan to buy from him - you can have the pro remove the blades for your use, and sell the boots on their own. But you can earn some money off these, so your parents actually have given you some money toward a new pair, in the end.

missliving

Spectator
Im in the chicagoland suburbs and I think there are two skate shops that specialize in figure skates rather than hockey. I can get a decent knee bend (knees over toes) and they fit well its just super stiff. Also my arches hurt a bit after wearing them for a while. Ive worn them around the house (guards on) to try to break them in and skated on them twice or so, but its still very stiff. I also cant skate in them longer than 20-25mins before I have to take a break. They have molded somewhat to my feet but I dont think its going to break in the way I need them to.

Kypma thanks for the info, I have to say I tried looking them up but I couldnt find much info. I did see something about the boot coming in different stiffness ratings but I couldnt find much else.

If I do end up getting new boots, does anyone have any recommendations. I think I will stick with Jacksons as I learned I have very wide feet. Also the current blade is the jacksons ultima mirage. Is that a good blade? worth keeping and buying boots separately?

Thanks for all the help :)

JSM

On the Ice
The good news is that there area few different options in the Chicago burbs for you to consult with!

Gepetto's Skate shop in Downer's Grove - website seems to be down but afaik he's still up and running (someone can correct if I'm wrong). I haven't been there myself but I have heard many, many good things.
https://shoprainbo.com/
https://www.tripletoeskatewear.com/

Nimyue

On the Ice
Im in the chicagoland suburbs and I think there are two skate shops that specialize in figure skates rather than hockey. I can get a decent knee bend (knees over toes) and they fit well its just super stiff. Also my arches hurt a bit after wearing them for a while.

For what it's worth, I put arch supports in my Jacksons. I got the Dr. Scholls Hidden Arch Support. They are these little gel arch pads that I stick under my insole. Made a world of difference.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
Im in the chicagoland suburbs and I think there are two skate shops that specialize in figure skates rather than hockey. I can get a decent knee bend (knees over toes) and they fit well its just super stiff. Also my arches hurt a bit after wearing them for a while. Ive worn them around the house (guards on) to try to break them in and skated on them twice or so, but its still very stiff. I also cant skate in them longer than 20-25mins before I have to take a break. They have molded somewhat to my feet but I dont think its going to break in the way I need them to.

Kypma thanks for the info, I have to say I tried looking them up but I couldnt find much info. I did see something about the boot coming in different stiffness ratings but I couldnt find much else.

If I do end up getting new boots, does anyone have any recommendations. I think I will stick with Jacksons as I learned I have very wide feet. Also the current blade is the jacksons ultima mirage. Is that a good blade? worth keeping and buying boots separately?

Thanks for all the help :)

The good news is that there area few different options in the Chicago burbs for you to consult with!

Gepetto's Skate shop in Downer's Grove - website seems to be down but afaik he's still up and running (someone can correct if I'm wrong). I haven't been there myself but I have heard many, many good things.
https://shoprainbo.com/
https://www.tripletoeskatewear.com/

Gepetto’s is still up and running, and while some people at my rink do swear by him, I didn’t like my experience when I went there. Also if you do go there, they are very busy, and you’ll need to schedule an appointment for a fitting.

Triple toe is pretty close to downers grove, and I’ve really liked the times I’ve gone to them.

I’ve never been to rainbo sports.

Basically it boils down to getting the right skates for you is a pretty personal thing, if you have doubts or are unsatisfied with one place, you have options and can get another opinion.

Good luck!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
If your boots are too stiff, you could try and walk around with them in wet socks. That can soften the leather. Just make sure there is plenty of time to dry them out fully before you go on the ice again.

Otherwise, everyone else has given great advice. Skates do take awhile to break in. It usually takes me a couple of weeks to fully break in a new pair. Jacksons also tend to make a stiff boot. Mine always hurt my feet, even once they were broken in.

missliving

Spectator
Thanks everyone for the help.
Heres the update. I went to gepettos and I have to say they are amazing there. John was so helpful, he stretched, softened and helped me punch out. He also replaced the original arch supports with some that fit my feet better. The skates are now mostly broken in and now are fairly comfortable to skate it. My feet still get a bit achy but once I skate more on them and finish breaking them in they should be just fine.