IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update | Page 11 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update

Penny

On the Ice
Thank you, but I did not subscribe to Ice Network. I didn't need to since my Dish includes NBC Sports and Olympic Channel. So my question is, will those 2 channels continue to show figure skating, or...do I have to subscribe to streaming NBC Sports?

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Thank you, but I did not subscribe to Ice Network. I didn't need to since my Dish includes NBC Sports and Olympic Channel. So my question is, will those 2 channels continue to show figure skating, or...do I have to subscribe to streaming NBC Sports?
I second this question. I feel like since they’re both under NBC they should continue to broadcast skating, but I wouldn’t past them not to to try and make some extra money. I feel like it will only drive people away though, I don’t want to pay extra for competitions I’m not going to watch. The Olympic channel was perfect for me.

furyflame

Rinkside
So I’m Canadian and I bought an NBC Gold subscription because I thought it would give me access to 99% of ISU events. I been reading the fine print and worrying that I’ve horribly misunderstood.

Any other Canadians/non-Americans with some insight on NBC Gold?

waxel

Final Flight
You have to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold if you want the same streaming you used to get via Ice Network.

How long does it take for the on-demand portion to become available?

Not long. They put up the pairs video from Salt Lake City about 15 mins post competition, if that long.

Yep. On-demand goes up almost immediately as competition concludes. In Ladies SP, I even watched early skaters while the later competitors were airing live. Good quality video, no freezes or buffering... pretty impressive performance for Gold. (I have no idea how it works for non-US?)

Ducky

On the Ice
I think I figured out why NBC Sports Gold app isn't available on smart tvs! My theory is that there would be no way to stop a bar or restaurant from downloading the app and working around the very expensive cable packages for showing sports like rugby or premier league football.

This discussion brought to you by me hanging out at my local discussing how they're not going to shell out money for a NFL package because it would be so expensive.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I think I figured out why NBC Sports Gold app isn't available on smart tvs! My theory is that there would be no way to stop a bar or restaurant from downloading the app and working around the very expensive cable packages for showing sports like rugby or premier league football.

This discussion brought to you by me hanging out at my local discussing how they're not going to shell out money for a NFL package because it would be so expensive.

The app isn’t available on smart TVs because the TVs predate the app, and smart TVs have limited app capability. Get a Roku or similar device to plug into your tv. I believe something like this will work.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The app isn’t available on smart TVs because the TVs predate the app, and smart TVs have limited app capability. Get a Roku or similar device to plug into your tv. I believe something like this will work.

Yes, my TV is too old to get the app. But I get it through my Apple TV and it works great.

Ducky

On the Ice

NBC could easily make their app work with Android TV but they're choosing not to. I mean if Fox Sports and ESPN are able to have provide apps for livestreaming broadcast shows (with cable log in) then there's no functional reason NBC Sports isn't.

Penny

On the Ice
I queried NBCSports and received the following reply. "Yes, Figure Skating will continue to be shown on both networks. All the events you mentioned will be shown on either the Olympic Channel or NBCSports."

So NBCSports and/or Olympic channel (available with certain satellite and cable packages) will continue to air the Grand Prix series, USA Championship, and Worlds. If your cable/satelilte package includes NBCSPorts and Olympic channel, and you are only interested in major competitions, then you don't need to pay for NBCSports streaming.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing that sucks about the IceNetwork shutting down is that all of the archives of past events in the last decade are gone. I was hoping that at least the site would stay open so they could be accessed. :sad46:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The thing that sucks about the IceNetwork shutting down is that all of the archives of past events in the last decade are gone. I was hoping that at least the site would stay open so they could be accessed. :sad46:

Really a shame. No links work anymore, and there were so many great articles. All gone now, it seems.

evasorange

Final Flight
What’s the commentary situation like on nbc gold does anyone know? Is it Tara and Johnny or someone else?