IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update | Page 10 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some of the "coming attractions" (my phrase :popcorn:) on USFS Fan Zone (partial list from Sora's Instagram story today):

- Exclusive editorial content

- Original video series

- Ice breaking news & stories

- Athlete bios​

I was hoping for the athlete bios. Nice to know that they are on the way.

I have a question. My cable provider (spectrum) is offering a mini channel bundle which includes "nbc sports." It's not the nbc Olympic channel. If this "nbc sports" channel shows all the Grand Prix events and expanded coverage of us nationals and worlds, I would consider getting it. Does anyone know if it will be covering figure skating? In my mind, I could see the "nbc Olympic channel" and the "nbc sports channel" having a lot of overlapping programming. Anybody know anything about this matter?

We usually get a press release stating the seasons schedule/coverage but I have not seen it yet so it may not be finalized. In theory, if it is as it was in the past, we will know what time what is airing on what station when that press release comes out.

Agree with Stitch that it would be worth waiting for this season's broadcast schedule.

Meanwhile, the Apr 2018 press release re the long-term USFS/NBC agreement perhaps would be of interest to Cdimop, ICYMI.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have a question. My cable provider (spectrum) is offering a mini channel bundle which includes "nbc sports." It's not the nbc Olympic channel. If this "nbc sports" channel shows all the Grand Prix events and expanded coverage of us nationals and worlds, I would consider getting it. Does anyone know if it will be covering figure skating? In my mind, I could see the "nbc Olympic channel" and the "nbc sports channel" having a lot of overlapping programming. Anybody know anything about this matter?

In the past year or two, NBC has changed where what content is available a couple of times and I’m sure it varies by location and cable provider. I would ask spectrum what channels the package includes and then check coverage for those channels with nbc.

One thing for sure is that if you want live streaming of figure skating you need nbc sports gold, which is a standalone. One of the other channels will probably still carry the condensed Jonny and Tara coverage.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure-skating

https://www.nbcsports.com/live

If you look at the second link, you can see that nbc sports is now an umbrella name.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The revamped version of http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com has gone live.

What I have noticed so far:

- Do not see any archiving of IceNetwork articles. :(

- Bios only for Team USA skaters -- and not nearly as many as I would like. :(

FWIW, there are bios for a 2017-18 "roster" as well as a 2018-19 roster (with significant overlap, of course).

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?path=figureskate

ETA (on Oct 10):

In recent (AFAIK) days, other bios have been added to the original batch. For example: Sean Rabbitt; Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik and other junior ice dancers.

A good sign (I hope) that over time, more and more bios will be added?​

- Juvenile-Novice videos from 2018 Nats and Sectionals now on YouTube. http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2018/9/7/youtube-video-archives.aspx

(2018 Regionals apparently to come.)​

BTW, Jackie Wong has tweeted about the return of @IceTalkPodcast.

First episode coming this week, IIRC.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
USFS are beyond stupid.

Where's the only place to watch the US Classic? NBCSportsGold. Okay, fine, I'll fork out. But wait! No, I can't! Because NBCSportsGold takes one look at your billing address and if it's outside the US says "Nope! You're geoblocked!"

Well done, USFS. You've both paywalled and geoblocked an international event. Such a shame if family, friends and fans of the international skaters want to watch their compatriots perform at an ISU Challenger Event, hey? Obviously only US fans deserve to watch a Challenger event.

*sarcastic slow clap*

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS are beyond stupid.

Where's the only place to watch the US Classic? NBCSportsGold. Okay, fine, I'll fork out. But wait! No, I can't! Because NBCSportsGold takes one look at your billing address and if it's outside the US says "Nope! You're geoblocked!"

Well done, USFS. You've both paywalled and geoblocked an international event. Such a shame if family, friends and fans of the international skaters want to watch their compatriots perform at an ISU Challenger Event, hey? Obviously only US fans deserve to watch a Challenger event.

*sarcastic slow clap*

Even in the U.S. If you don't have cable you can't watch it. So I'm not sure if I can either.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The international viewers will be waiting on Youtube...before NBC blocks the videos.

Jhar55

Medalist
Will Olympic Channel no longer show live competitions?
Quit using Icenetwork few years ago kept messing up billing

evasorange

Final Flight
Will Olympic Channel no longer show live competitions?
Quit using Icenetwork few years ago kept messing up billing

This is what I’m afraid of. Olympic channel was a godsend last season. Live coverage, no skaters cut out of the broadcast and best of all no Tara terry and Johnny commentary. I know better then to expect all of that from nbc package 😫😫

Penny

On the Ice
I'm so confused. I get both NBC Sports and Olympic channel with Dish. Now, do I have to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold to get any figure skating? Or will NBC Sports channel or Olympic channel still show the major competitions? I'm not interested in juniors or minor competitions, just the Grand Prix, US Championships and Worlds.

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
USFS are beyond stupid.

*sarcastic slow clap*

Well, I'm in the U.S. Virgin Islands and I got the same message. I emailed them and they said they were looking into it because they don't understand why I can't sign up. Having gone through this with IceNetwork, I believe it's because my internet provider routes through Singapore.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm so confused. I get both NBC Sports and Olympic channel with Dish. Now, do I have to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold to get any figure skating? Or will NBC Sports channel or Olympic channel still show the major competitions? I'm not interested in juniors or minor competitions, just the Grand Prix, US Championships and Worlds.

You have to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold if you want the same streaming you used to get via Ice Network.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The revamped version of http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com has gone live.

What I have noticed so far:

- Do not see any archiving of IceNetwork articles. :(

- Bios only for Team USA skaters -- and not nearly as many as I would like. :(

FWIW, there are bios for a 2017-18 "roster" as well as a 2018-19 roster (with significant overlap, of course).

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?path=figureskate

- Juvenile-Novice videos from 2018 Nats and Sectionals now on YouTube. http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2018/9/7/youtube-video-archives.aspx

(2018 Regionals apparently to come.)​

BTW, Jackie Wong has tweeted about the return of @IceTalkPodcast.

First episode coming this week, IIRC.

I really miss the IceNetwork articles. It was one of those sites I loved to follow. I know, I didn't pay for videos (couldn't because signing up was impossible due to the geo block), but I still enjoyed the articles, photos and such. All gone, it seems.

Elana

On the Ice
Does anyone know if there's a place to see results from Novice/Junior Challenge Skate?

Ducky

On the Ice
USFS are beyond stupid.

*sarcastic slow clap*

Are there any American military bases or stations in Australia? Because technically that's covered under US Territory. At least I think so, although streaming rights are just weird.

So my work around is befriend an American service member at a US base, use their service address for the billing and hope it works?