IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update | Page 3 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update

Tavi...

Record Breaker
My pass for ice skating is $45 a year. Am I doing something wrong? Anyway I went back and reread it and it said there would be "incentives" for current IceNetwork subscribers. Whatever that means. I don't know why they can't just make the improvements and call it the same thing.

Not sure I understand the question? If you mean current IN prices, they have a flat rate of $49.99 and it’s half off that for USFS members.

I was talking about NBC gold packages for other sports:

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/nbc-sports-gold-packages-prices

Or did you mean something else?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure I understand the question? If you mean current IN prices, they have a flat rate of $49.99 and it’s half off that for USFS members.

I was talking about NBC gold packages for other sports:

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/nbc-sports-gold-packages-prices

Or did you mean something else?

I wasn't aware of the other packages. Just what I need to spend more money on sports watching. Thank Goddess USA Gymnastics puts everything on YouTube for free.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
"NBC Sports Gold is a standalone streaming service that is purchased online directly from NBC Sports Group, and does not require a cable TV package."

Good news for those of us that don't have a cable subscription!
:hap93:

I am going to withhold judgement here. My internet is sort of fast....ICENOTWORK was iffy ...highly variable quality, crappy user interface....but youtube is great on my system. I just hook up my laptop to my big screen and watch YOUTUBE in good quality. But Youtube employs buffering....I dont know how my system will react to THIS new streaming.... If I can log on to a website, put in my password, and watch on demand skating with good quality video streaming, and a user friendly interface, I would be happy for $50. If I can easily re-watch Mirai's 2010 Nats FS, fine. If they want $75 and the streaming is jerky and freezing all the time, well, I know a guy who "trades" DVDs of events sans commericals . Well, nous verrons, as they say....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The technological improvements sound like a good thing.

If they work for us outlanders, that is.

"NBC Sports Gold, including the “Figure Skating Pass” and “Speed Skating Pass,” is available on Apple iOS, Android, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku and online at NBCSportsGold.com. NBC Sports Gold is powered by Playmaker Media, NBC Sports Digital’s technology service which provides end-to-end support for companies in need of best-in-class live streaming and VOD solutions."

So the question for us people who do not have 25 meg download speeds is this....will this "Playmaker Media" be better, worse, or the same as ICENOTWORK. I have no idea what all that gobbly gook talk is about Roku, etc. but I do understand NBCSportsGold.com. And since this is a joint venture between USFS and NBC, I would think us FOFSers would get a break.

"The current icenetwork season pass subscription service will be available through June 30, 2018. Icenetwork subscribers will be contacted in the coming weeks with details regarding NBC Sports Gold."
Low bridge, everybody down.

We are excited to be sharing this news with you and we look forward to bringing you the unprecedented viewing convenience that the “Figure Skating Pass” and “Speed Skating Pass” on NBC Sports Gold will provide.
(Translation: We are excited to be out from under this turkey and look forward to you complaining to some other people who dont care.)

I think in a fair world (I believe in the tooth fairy also) that they would give us a few days to actually TRY the new technology and see if it works for us.

Done right, this could be the best thing since sliced bread. Forward, back, hold, slow mo...its all possible....
Just remember...the USFS app is ONLY available for iOS users....Android types can go pound sand.
I hope they get this one right.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It’s available for android users - reread your first quoted paragraph.

charlotte14

Medalist
Not sure if I will miss IceNotwork... :roll9:

That said... I hope NBC will not lock down videos... false hope I know. They even block gifs on tumblr.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Like CoyoteChris, I do hope that if the price is going to be more, a free trial of some kind is available.

EDIT: ice coverage, yes, I think that's the first sighting of the 4CC logo. Gives me some hope we might get some more news on that soon.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If it's at least twice as much as someone mentioned, that would be at least $100.

I think the "twice as much" comment was made by a person who had been paying Ice Network's discounted rate for USFSA members ($25). The "twice as much" would be equivalent to the $50 that was the regular Ice Network rate.

As a person who became a skating fan in the 1960s, when nothing was shown live and "coverage" was perhaps 4 programs per senior event for U.S. Nationals & Worlds, it's an absolute bargain to pay only $50 (or even $100) for every-skater-live coverage of so many events!

For those who fear that casual viewers won't be developed into skating fans: There still will be many more hours of free coverage on "regular" NBC (non-cable) than there were even a decade ago.

MIM

Medalist
Although I subscribed the ICENETWORK for this yea, mostly I watched the competitions from NBC sports app. ICENETWORK does not stream on a phone, which is the biggest downfall for me. Also, I hope Tanith is commentating at some of the events. I really enjoyed her as a commentator during the OG.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think the "twice as much" comment was made by a person who had been paying Ice Network's discounted rate for USFSA members ($25). The "twice as much" would be equivalent to the $50 that was the regular Ice Network rate.

As a person who became a skating fan in the 1960s, when nothing was shown live and "coverage" was perhaps 4 programs per senior event for U.S. Nationals & Worlds, it's an absolute bargain to pay only $50 (or even $100) for every-skater-live coverage of so many events!

For those who fear that casual viewers won't be developed into skating fans: There still will be many more hours of free coverage on "regular" NBC (non-cable) than there were even a decade ago.

the twice as much I mentioned was because i get the usfs rate.

Ducky

On the Ice
It’s available for android users - reread your first quoted paragraph.

Yes, but is it going to be on ALL Android devices or just phones? For instance, the NBC sports app wasn't available for android tv during the Olympics. I would hate to shell out beaucoup bucks only to have to watch stuff on my laptop because NBC hasn't made their app compatible with my tv.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Support for the video format Icenetwork picked is ending this year. They were going to have to pony up to redo the website and reformat all the archival content they were going to keep. If you remember when they ditched MS Silverlight for the current format, you recall what a Big Deal that was. It is no surprise that they are packing it in.

Is MLB.com shutting up shop as well? They have done some level.of video conversion since there is some Android support there, so I am guessing they are continuing.

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I don't think the price is/will be terrible - if it's $50 like IN, that's per year and comes to $4.16 per month. That's less than people are paying for Hulu, Netflix, HBO Go, etc. Now that price ending up being terrible because IceNetwork itself was so bad (and I never had nearly the problems others did). If this is on par with the NBC Sports app, it could be worth it.

(I'm saying all this aware that the price is okay for me but it's NOT for many people depending on their financial situation. I've been there, too.)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes, but is it going to be on ALL Android devices or just phones? For instance, the NBC sports app wasn't available for android tv during the Olympics. I would hate to shell out beaucoup bucks only to have to watch stuff on my laptop because NBC hasn't made their app compatible with my tv.

As I don’t work for USFS or NBC, I have no idea. Perhaps you can research it. I don’t have any android devices so it’s not an issue for me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The technological improvements sound like a good thing.

And this point from the SBJ reporter makes good sense to me (emphasis added):

USFS itself admits that they don’t have the resources to keep up with the rapidly increasing standards for streaming coverage. NBC has every incentive in the world to make its Olympic sports coverage top notch.

https://twitter.com/BenFischerSBJ/status/992219155767201793 (May 3)​

.... What I will miss is all the back archives of competitions. ...

Even the well-informed, well-connected Jackie Wong was not sure (at least as of yesterday) about the fate of the IN archives:

He was asked: "Do you have any guesses about where, or how, the icenetwork archives of past senior competitions will be viewable after this?"

Jackie's replies:

That I’m not sure. Hopefully it stays around

No there won’t be an icenetwork anymore, so it’s either it all goes to USFS/FanZone/NBC or it won’t.

At least Jackie did not shut the door entirely. So I will cling to the hope that archives of both videos and other IN content will be given a new home somewhere. :pray:

Not completely on topic in terms of the IN closure, but still hoping that someone can answer my related question:

Regarding NBC's overall deal with USFS, I hope a smart person will help me understand the following excerpt, please?

... The digital transition was included in a broader media rights deal recently signed by USFS and NBC that will extend their relationship through '28. USFS under the deal will control all of the linear commercial inventory for the broadcasts for the first time, up from half under the old arrangement. NBC will recoup that value on the digital side, where they believe they can grow subscriptions substantially over the current IceNetwork.com numbers. ...

Is it an advantageous change for USFS that it now will control all of the linear commercial inventory for broadcasts (instead of half)?
Greater risk -- if it is unable to sell all of the inventory and/or unable to reach rating benchmarks -- but greater reward if it is able?

Or am I missing the point entirely??

Just interested in the big picture too.

ETA:

The keynote speaker today at USFS Governing Council is from NBC.

Source: https://twitter.com/KristinAdamczyk/status/992460617310187520 (May 4)​

No coincidence, I'm sure.​

ETA:

From a blog today re USFS Governing Council (emphasis added):

... The keynote speaker was the NBC General Counsel talking about their ten-year relationship with U.S. Figure Skating and the new contract that takes us through 2026. Now in addition to NBC, NBCSN and the Olympic Channel, there will be NBC Sports Gold is a subscription product that is direct to consumer without going through networks. And unlike Ice Network, it will be available on mobile, tablets AND connected televisions (Smart TV). When that was mentioned, the crowd roared. ...

http://governingcouncil2018.blogspot.com/2018/05/governing-council-begins.html (May 4)​

macy

Record Breaker
i havent cared much for IN since they completely changed their website a few years back. i really liked to watch the older content they used to have (dating back to the 06-07 season i think) and when they redid the site, all that was gone. now you can only go back to 2011. anyone know why this happened by chance?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
i havent cared much for IN since they completely changed their website a few years back. i really liked to watch the older content they used to have (dating back to the 06-07 season i think) and when they redid the site, all that was gone. now you can only go back to 2011. anyone know why this happened by chance?

They converted from MS Silverlight to Adobe Flash Player. When they did it, they did not convert all the old stuff.

DC2003

Rinkside
Isn't it strange the the Ice Network website mentions nothing about this yet? Hopefully, the archives are not lost...I have not even finished watching the 2017 season yet!

Any further news? This topic went quiet rather quickly.