Was Tonya Harding poorly coached? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Was Tonya Harding poorly coached?

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Didn't know that. Her mom complained about the recent movie. She even added this:

My daughter would probably be mad at me for saying all this, but it’s how I feel!

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/...a-kerrigan-slams-tonya-harding-movie-i-tonya/

Anyway, Nancy can't control what her husband and mom do, I guess. I'm glad she herself has shown some restraint at least.

From the article: “I think it’s quite disgusting that they put Tonya up like she’s some sort of hero when, in my opinion, she committed a crime!” said Brenda. They can both be true; she can be a hero who committed a crime. Good people do bad things everyday. I don't think Tonya's a hero, but it isn't an either/or situation. From that and the rest of the article, it looks like Nancy's mom seems pretty bitter. I probably would be, too. I didn't think the movie made light of what happened, though. The movie can be humorous while making a serious point about something that was quite wrong, but if it was my kid who got hurt, I probably wouldn't be interested in nuances and shades of gray and humor, either. Still, I'm glad it sounds like Nancy has moved on from it with better closure than her mom.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nancy has always been a class act about Tonya being on DWTS. And *thank God* her hubby and mother said what they said. It shows they are real live human beings who love Nancy.:agree:

Although what it has to do with Tonya’s coaching, I’m less sure:biggrin:

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nancy has always been a class act about Tonya being on DWTS. And *thank God* her hubby and mother said what they said. It shows they are real live human beings who love Nancy.:agree:

Although what it has to do with Tonya’s coaching, I’m less sure:biggrin:

Hahaha Yeah, we wandered off topic a couple of pages ago.

fenway3

On the Ice
Hahaha Yeah, we wandered off topic a couple of pages ago.

Well, here's another harmless little tangent, I guess. :)

From http://www.goldderby.com/article/20...dancing-with-the-stars-favorite-poll-results/

Here’s something you probably didn’t think you’d hear a month ago: Tonya Harding is more well-liked than Nancy Kerrigan. At least among our readers. In a recent poll asking which of the two they preferred on “Dancing with the Stars,” Harding skated away with 51 percent of the vote.

I haven't seen Nancy's performances on DWTS, but as a skater, she rarely displayed a lot of warmth. But maybe she was better in that regard on DWTS.

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, here's another harmless little tangent, I guess. :)

From http://www.goldderby.com/article/20...dancing-with-the-stars-favorite-poll-results/

Here’s something you probably didn’t think you’d hear a month ago: Tonya Harding is more well-liked than Nancy Kerrigan. At least among our readers. In a recent poll asking which of the two they preferred on “Dancing with the Stars,” Harding skated away with 51 percent of the vote.

I haven't seen Nancy's performances on DWTS, but as a skater, she rarely displayed a lot of warmth. But maybe she was better in that regard on DWTS.

I didn't like it when she said that Disneyland was cheesy. I know she didn't intend for people to overhear, but it came across as so spoiled and entitled that I just...I was done with her.

fenway3

On the Ice
I didn't like it when she said that Disneyland was cheesy. I know she didn't intend for people to overhear, but it came across as so spoiled and entitled that I just...I was done with her.

Apparently Nancy's remarks were actually taken out of context, as this article points out:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ater-nancy-kerrigan-mickey-mouse-disney-world

Anyway, concerning the original topic of Tonya's coaches, does anybody know if Tonya and Rawlinson are still friendly? Just curious.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding Tonya and her coaching, from what I've read, her coaches were always trying to do their best with Tonya. However, it's been said that Tonya has made bad choices regarding her skating.

(and I say that as a fan)

She took up smoking while dealing with asthma, she put on weight, she cut down her training time, she insisted on leaving for the '92 Olympics as late as possible, and was affected by jet lag, she insisted of putting her triple axel into her technical program instead of a triple lutz. Had she landed a clean lutz in her tech, and then tried the 3A in the long, she would not have been as penalized as harshly.

There were definite efforts made to work on Tonya's artistry, if you watch vids from that time period, you can hear commentators talking about her improved artistic skills, but Tonya didn't really embrace them.

Then, when she made mistakes, she blamed everyone (coaches, judges, skating officials) and didn't take personal responsibility.

Even when she was given a shot by ESPN to skate as a pro in 1999, she ended up having issues in her personal life get out of control (she assaulted someone with a hubcap, if I recall correctly) and that caused her not to get any more shots at a professional career.

I believe everyone deserves redemption, but I really think with "I, Tonya", people are seeing Tonya as a victim, and believing the narrative that she was held down. I'm sorry, but if judges are holding you down, they don't award you the National Championship gold medal twice, and a World Championship silver medal.

I saw videos for Tonya skating in the ESPN competition in 1999, and there were comments about how "mad" Nancy Kerrigan must be now. I replied that Nancy had a long professional career doing competitions, shows, TV appearances, commentating, specials, and was on DWTS before Tonya was.

The reply I got was "Nah, Nancy's mad."

:whack:

fenway3

On the Ice
Even when she was given a shot by ESPN to skate as a pro in 1999, she ended up having issues in her personal life get out of control (she assaulted someone with a hubcap, if I recall correctly) and that caused her not to get any more shots at a professional career.

Deeply abused people have a lot of self-hatred, which causes them to make a lot of destructive decisions. However, if Tonya had grown up in, say, Nancy's home, would she have been a mess? Probably not. In fact, she most likely would've had a great career. Conversely, if Nancy had grown up in Tonya's home, would she have been a success? Probably not. She most likely would've smoked, rebelled, married an abusive husband, etc. Of course, that doesn't mean that, as an adult, Tonya wasn't responsible for her decisions. But it does mean that you have to look at her background to really understand why she behaved the way she did. To say her home was dysfunctional is almost an understatement.

I'm sorry, but if judges are holding you down, they don't award you the National Championship gold medal twice

Let me see—Kristi fell in her LP in '91, yet 2 of the judges gave her first place over Tonya's history-making performance. What do you call that? They also weren't very generous toward her in the technical program at both '90 and '91 Nationals. And in the LP at '90 Nationals, when she was sick, she got really bad marks. However, if someone like Jill Trenary or Kristi Yamaguchi had given such a performance when ill, I suspect they would've been held up quite a bit. A lot of people also felt that Tonya should've been on the world team in '89.

As for '94, the judges didn't have much choice—there was really nobody even close to her.

and a World Championship silver medal.

The international judges (at least in the beginning) were more charitable toward her, I think.

I saw videos for Tonya skating in the ESPN competition in 1999, and there were comments about how "mad" Nancy Kerrigan must be now. I replied that Nancy had a long professional career doing competitions, shows, TV appearances, commentating, specials, and was on DWTS before Tonya was.

The reply I got was "Nah, Nancy's mad."

We fans can only speculate, I guess. I suspect that Nancy was miffed, but I doubt it will ruin her entire year. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Walt Disney World in Florida. Disneyland is in California. ;)