Summer Fan Fest 2018 | Golden Skate

Summer Fan Fest 2018

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We have now reached the end of an Olympic cycle, and as usual there are a lot of changes happening. We have:

• skaters changing coaches
  • skaters retiring
  • partnerships splitting
  • new partnerships forming

These things are normal at the end of an Olympic cycle. But this time, we also have a lot of changes happening online:

• Ice Network is closing down
  • Stats On Ice have changed the format of their addresses, but the old addresses DO NOT redirect to the new addresses
  • Rink Results have changed the format of their addresses, and the old addresses DO redirect to the new addresses
  • YouTube videos and channels are getting blocked / removed almost en masse

These online changes mean that this summer is an important time for Fan Fests to be updated. Because many links simply won’t work any more.

Unfortunately, we still don’t know what exactly will be happening with all the content that is currently on Ice Network. Whether existing content built up over the past 13 years (skater profiles; competition results pages; articles; old videos; etc.) will be transferred over to other sites or just disappear into the ether. And I suspect that we won’t find out for definite until after IN closes at the end of June.

However, we can still update the other things in the intervening period.

So, could I please appeal to Original Posters to take this summer as an opportunity to check over the Fan Fests that they run, and make the necessary updates.

And then we can be ready to hit the ground running when the new Olympic cycle starts in earnest in August.

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
All my ladies fanfests have been updated (gotta do everyone else still)! I did not put any new YouTube links in because I don't want them to be removed immediately :laugh:
Let me know if something's not right :eek::

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
All my ladies fanfests have been updated (gotta do everyone else still)! I did not put any new YouTube links in because I don't want them to be removed immediately :laugh:
Let me know if something's not right :eek::

Ah, cool. Well done!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

I'll be uploading my first set of updates ths week (to my team thread). But first I have to work out what on Earth approach to take with one particular skater, who has not only switched categories (from Singles to Ice Dance), but switched countries (back to his country of birth)! :drama:

I really wish Nikita had stuck with Cyprus. Not only would it be nice to see the island represented in another category, and nice to see another country represented in Ice Dance, but it would make my life a lot simpler! ;) :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hey Everybody

Well, Ice Network has now closed down, and the links to the articles and skater bios are all now dead.

If these pages were going to be transferred over to a new home, you would have expected redirects to be set up at the time Ice Network closed. So, alas, it looks like they are gone for good.

HOWEVER, there may be a way of salvaging the lost pages - internet archives.

The most popular internet archiving site is the Wayback Machine. A lot of Ice Network pages have been archived on their website, so there is a very good chance that the pages you are looking for on there.

Wayback Machine:
http://archive.org/web/

Failing that, there are also other archiving websites. But, as these sites are not as well known, the chance of your page being on them is smaller.

WebCite:
https://www.webcitation.org/

Hopefully, we will be able to retrieve as many of the lost pages as possible.

CaroLiza_fan