Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Thread: Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

Medalist

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraiFan View Post
    the Russian system itself breed cruelty.... It seems like she's enjoying being out of the Russian bubble.
    wow, at least honestly, not like expressing the same behing the curtain of political correctness.

Tripping on the Podium KiraraChin's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGee View Post
    This reflects my views too...

I've always though she was a great talent...

My critiques of Zhenya's skating have been that she reached the World Champion status with a number of technical issues that should have been addressed at the transition to senior:

- murky technique on her jumps, which were smallish
    - less than crisp skating skills
    - not a lot of speed, and
    - spins that travelled across the ice, with a skating leg that was far out of vertical

But with the IJS SoV and bullet points as they were, strategic choices were made by Eteri to focus training on what maximized points.

Brilliant strategy, but it really frustrated me that Zhenya was effectively being set as the model for young skaters to follow, yet these fairly basic issues remained unaddressed. ..

Which was unfortunate for Zhenya's performance and for her body ...as imperfect technique will take its toll in the long run.

And for those of us who were concerned, it was difficult to say that we didn't like what IJS was rewarding without people thinking that it was all about who was skating or what country she represented...

Frankly, it is to me a testimonial to Zhenya's talent and drive that she accomplished what she did....

But that IJS structure is now in the past...

Let's not rewrite history to say that she's innately incapable of skating better...

I'm really looking forward to seeing Zhenya in a year or two with these basic things addressed, but still the charm and expression that reaches across many cultures...
    Spot on. Thank you, TGee.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    wow, at least honestly, not like expressing the same behing the curtain of political correctness.
    Any decent human being watching any of the comments from coaches in the millions of videos out there would draw that conclusion based solely on the language used with the skaters and the fact that the system cycles through and discards young skaters as soon as they grow or are injured. Eteri is one of the worst offenders and we all know this.

3 Not allowed!
    Any decent human being watching any of the comments from coaches in the millions of videos out there would draw that conclusion based solely on the language used with the skaters and the fact that the system cycles through and discards young skaters as soon as they grow or are injured. Eteri is one of the worst offenders and we all know this.
    I think you should be a bit careful here. Insulting the Russian system and one of it‘s most successful coaches in a forum about a... Russian skater ?? Doesn‘t seem smart to me. Besides, I don‘t think you‘re entirely right. Figure skating is a sport and an intensely competitive one. You could compare it to gymnastics, I guess. So, yes, obviously you will be replaced if you‘re injured for too long. Is it fair? No. Is it cruel? Probably. But it‘s a sport. These girls know it. Eteri knows it. She‘s a business woman, really. She has a huge bunch of talents waiting to be coached by her. If you can‘t handle it or don‘t want to handle it (which is perfectly acceptable and understandable) then leave. I, too, find some of Eteri‘s methods questionable and maybe not morally correct. Personally, I can‘t forget about Yulia. But let‘s face it: Eteri‘s the coach of the year, the coach of these Olympics and probably of the next Olympics, too. Whatever she‘s doing works.

Dummy

2 Not allowed!
    Not really. You should watch videos on russian rhythmic gymnastics or ballet.
    Major difference in mentality and culture, which you are not familiar with, very likely, which means you cannot judge, because the definition of what a "decent human being" is changes a lot from culture to culture.

For example, as a person who lived til 10 in russia and then moved to the west, I can say my russian schooling was so much better. Yeah, the teachers were not my buddies and didnt nuzzle me, but we all went to school to learn, and not to be nuzzled. When I moved to a western country, I spent quite a few years convinced that local school is useless, because they teach way less, waste time being friendly with students instead of teaching them, accommodate lazyness and bad manners, didn't bother with giving us additional assignments if we finished ours too quickly, and didn't even shame bad students. To be honest, I am still not entirely convinced even as adult, I just grew to accept that different people need different teaching styles.

But yeah, I know what you mean, a system that discarded Zagitova once she broke her leg is terrible. A System that discarded Leonova.
    You also blame russian system for something that happens in all countries - about 50% of the top juniors do not transition successfully into seniors.
    Or maybe you blame russian system for only having 3 spots for worlds and euros? I mean, yep, Tuktamysheva and Radionova are discarded - except they can still score same as they scored before, and if it wasn't for the depth of talent in russia, they would be still going to worlds and so on.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluture View Post
    Yes, that‘s what I think, too. In Canada, the environment is much calmer. She has Gabby there who isn‘t really a serious threat and Jason and Yuzu who are simply friends and don‘t even compete with her at all. Some people might thrive in a place like Eteri‘s because the constant awareness of her rivals breathing down their necks pushes them to do even better and work harder but Evgenia... she doesn‘t need this to my mind. She sets the goals and the bars for herself and just because she moved to Canada doesn‘t mean she suddenly forgets her rivals in Russia. I‘d even go as far and say that staying with Eteri wouldn‘t have been healthy for her entire health, physical and mental. The former because of Eteri‘s approach (run-throughs etc) and the latter because you simply cannot train with a bunch of kids who are trained to defeat you one day + your biggest rival who literally crushed your dream of winning the most important competition in your life. She might be as mentally strong as few but this wouldn‘t have ended up well. Evgenia was clever enough to realise this and brave enough to actually take matters in her own hands and make a change.
    i think she saw the writing on the wall if she stayed with eteri. there was a bigger chance of having a shorter career, more injuries, her health and wellbeing not being top priority, etc. in her mind i think she knew she didn't have another choice but to act to have a chance at avoiding those.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29