Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I thought it might be a good idea to diversify from the thread about her training with Orser to a wider discussion on Evgenia's plans for next season so:

Program ideas, music choices, GP assignments, costumes, injury reports, etc.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Maybe but people seem pretty interested in talking about her so I thought having a thread focused less on the coaching change and more on planning for her future would be a good idea. If the other mods think it should be moved then so be it. I'm certainly not above taking suggestions from others.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Personally, I'm excited for her. I can't say for sure but, I think Eteri might have become too controlling over the direction of Evgenia's career. I think she wants to spread her wings and I think this will be a great opportunity. She's still young enough to make another change if this doesn't work out. Some skaters don't peak until their 20's and Med is still only 19 and she has 2 World Titles. I wish her the best.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
So, apparently she will go to either Autumn Classic or Finlandia, according to what Brian said, which will give her time to work on her programs and recover from her injuries.

As for the programs, I've been saying literally in every thread that I would like her to do "Variations on Dark Eyes" as her SP with a tango-like dress and a sleeker hairstyle than usual, and something more contemporary like "Rain in Your Black Eyes" as her FS with a costume more similar to her Leftovers one :) I'm not gonna lie though, if she did something a little less melancholic, La La Land style, I wouldn't be opposed :D

moriel

Record Breaker
I really want her to re-use her leftovers costume. It was gorgeous and deserves some spotlight.

1critic

On the Ice
That's the one thing that I would like her to keep if possible. Olga makes the most beautiful and intricate stuff for her.

moriel

Record Breaker
So, apparently she will go to either Autumn Classic or Finlandia, according to what Brian said, which will give her time to work on her programs and recover from her injuries.

As for the programs, I've been saying literally in every thread that I would like her to do "Variations on Dark Eyes" as her SP with a tango-like dress and a sleeker hairstyle than usual, and something more contemporary like "Rain in Your Black Eyes" as her FS with a costume more similar to her Leftovers one :) I'm not gonna lie though, if she did something a little less melancholic, La La Land style, I wouldn't be opposed :D

hmmmm I actually would like to see her with either upbeat programs or something more dramatic. "Rain in Your Black Eyes" kinds sounds literally like a generic Evgenia music =)
Her Kukushka ex was pretty interesting in that regard.

UPD: Maybe a "Memorial" program?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's a shame there's no CS event in Russia, because it'd be good, after all the controversy, to kick off her 2018-19 season on home soil.

moriel

Record Breaker
It's a shame there's no CS event in Russia, because it'd be good, after all the controversy, to kick off her 2018-19 season on home soil.

Technically not announced yet, so maybe? I mean, they had Mordovian Ornament a couple of years ago.
If no, Finlandia would be good for that purpose, since it is very close and acessible for many Russian fans.

LRK

Record Breaker
Was there a video for the program David Wilson did for Evgenia for Javi's show? If so, does anyone have a link? I'd like to see it - I know that show programs and competitive programs are obviously different, and that this was choreographed last minute, but still maybe one could get some indication/inkling of it nonetheless.

Thanks in advance if anyone could help.:)

Hello from Brazil

On the Ice
Was there a video for the program David Wilson did for Evgenia for Javi's show? If so, does anyone have a link? I'd like to see it - I know that show programs and competitive programs are obviously different, and that this was choreographed last minute, but still maybe one could get some indication/inkling of it nonetheless.

I think it's this one
https://youtu.be/ICS_O__4fiw

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICS_O__4fiw :) it was a really nice ex piece!

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I'm hoping for her to branch out music-wise. With the exception of Anna Karenina, her programs tend to blend into one for me - I like her skating and the programs are enjoyable to watch, but they don't stand out. Something out of the box might suit her. And I am hoping for her to ditch the miming; her face is expressive enough without it. I canot offer any music ideas yet, but I agree with moriel above: something upbeat or dramatic would be great. :]

moriel

Record Breaker
I actually want to write more on it.

1. Upbeat - up to this point, Evgenia didn't really do many upbeat programs. She had a few show programs to pop music that could be considered upbeat, but nothing really special and well, show programs are sometimes last minute. So i'm interested to see how it would work for her. Maybe it will not, but i'm curious to see.

2. Drama, drama, drama - she seems to be very good at those emotional / drama things. So I would love to see her explore more this field. Some good russian drama programs would be interesting (although unlikely considering her current coaching situation). Music with dramatic vocals - speaking in terms of warhorses, stuff like Malade. Tangos, would be really interesting to see her do a tango program.

3. No ballet. Dunno, just me maybe, but don't see her working out well as another swan. Only fine if she doesn't do ballet stuff.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
No, Evgenia will probably have a warhorse this season. Maleguena or Carmen.
We probably won’t find out until September.😕

LRK

Record Breaker
I wonder if, since she is an anime fan, there may be some anime soundtracks that Evgenia may wish to skate to. It seems that they want to discuss things with her, which might give her a chance to share some of her own ideas.