Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

curious

Final Flight
There's lots of beautiful a nime music she can skate to if thats what she wants. I prefer a strong tango or spanish music for her. Maos 2010 olys long program music is fab for her. very strong and powerful .

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Evgenia should shock us all and pull a Jimmy Ma: bust out the hip hop. :party2:

Alright, maybe nothing that extreme of a contrast to her previous programs. ;) But I’m definitely excited to see what’s in the works for the coming season.

I also echo the sentiments in the other active 80+ page Evgenia thread in that I hope she has Shae-Lynn choreograph for her, if not this season, perhaps the following one, or maybe even an exhibition program for this year. Nothing against David Wilson of course, I’m just a Shae choreography uber fangirl. :love:

synteis

Medalist
I suspect they'll do something this first season that will really demonstrate her range and suspect a warhorse may be among the number though I'd love to see some Miyzaki. I wonder if they'd go in the direction of Russian warhorses though after all this split? Maybe Rach no. 2? I can see her doing that really well. And then something more joyful and light for her other program.

crankyintheAM

On the Ice
Evgenia has always skated to non obvious or overused pieces as a senior, so I'm afraid she'll end up with a warhorse this season. Hopefully she doesn't. I'd go with one very strong, very obviously Russian piece -yet not one skated to too often-, and then... I don't know, something that is really unexpected as long as she likes it/feels it a lot.

I'll be happy with her back in great shape and winning competitions, I just enjoy watching her skate. I know all the talk about her skating skills, but I think she has a beautiful flow, there's something special that pulls me in.

I do hope she doesn't read the forums though. :) Hope no skater does.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder if, since she is an anime fan, there may be some anime soundtracks that Evgenia may wish to skate to. It seems that they want to discuss things with her, which might give her a chance to share some of her own ideas.

It'd be awesome if she skated to Yuri on Ice...that music is so awesome...I mean this piano cover is gorgeous. You don't have to have seen the anime to love it! :biggrin:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I was wondering - we know Zhenya will probably do either AC or Finlandia, but what about the test skates in September? Is she going to go even though it's not a competition and it's a super long journey for her?

[posting this here too]

moriel

Record Breaker
I was wondering - we know Zhenya will probably do either AC or Finlandia, but what about the test skates in September? Is she going to go even though it's not a competition and it's a super long journey for her?

[posting this here too]

I think rusfed may want her to go.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Just had a thought today that Evgenia might do great with any variation of Romeo and Juliet. I know it's a major warhorse but still.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm not the biggest fan of David Wilson, but I'd like to at least think he will come up with something better than the most tired warhorses some are suggesting here. This is Evgenia, not just anybody. I know his tastes are a bit old-fashioned though, so I could see her giving her something from a musical. If so, then I'd hope it's an older one that isn't already a cliche like LaLa Land, Chicago, Moulin Rouge...ugh. For some reason I think she would make a good Audrey Hepburn.

I also hope she'll get to work with Shae-Lynn eventually. She's such an extroverted and upbeat person in real life that it makes no sense to keep doing all these "pretty" programs without any real impact.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I'm not the biggest fan of David Wilson, but I'd like to at least think he will come up with something better than the most tired warhorses some are suggesting here. This is Evgenia, not just anybody. I know his tastes are a bit old-fashioned though, so I could see her giving her something from a musical. If so, then I'd hope it's an older one that isn't already a cliche like LaLa Land, Chicago, Moulin Rouge...ugh. For some reason I think she would make a good Audrey Hepburn.

I also hope she'll get to work with Shae-Lynn eventually. She's such an extroverted and upbeat person in real life that it makes no sense to keep doing all these "pretty" programs without any real impact.

Omg I actually love the idea of Zhenya as Audrey Hepburn! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCKcvN97eDc

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well.. maybe Evgenia wants to work with many different choreographers and that was part of the reason she left. Maybe she'll work with Wilson this season and Shae-lynn next and Jeff Buttle and Lori Nicol. Maybe even Sandra Bezic. Maybe she'll even look into working with an ice dance choreographer.

She wants to skate to music she likes and feels inspired by. I doubt she's come to Canada to work on something she could easily have done at home. Maybe this season it will be a warhorse become normally it takes time but maybe Evgenia herself has strong ideas about what she wants to skate to. Maybe she wants to do Hip Hop or Swing or Disney. I get the feeling she is a young lady who knows what she wants.

Evgenia as Audrey Hepburn would be inspired. Breakfast at Tiffany's and Roman Holiday and Sabrina are all good soundtracks. Moon River won an Oscar.

I agree on her costumes. Evgenia has had some lovely costumes. I really liked the Anna Karenina deep wine coloured dress of last season.

Last edited:

lavoix

Match Penalty
I'm personally not keen on some of the choreographers in Canada, unless Evghenia works with Lori Nicholl, because then I know she will create a work of art.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Evgenia as Audrey Hepburn would be inspired. Breakfast at Tiffany's and Roman Holiday and Sabrina are all good soundtracks. Moon River won an Oscar.

I agree on her costumes. Evgenia has had some lovely costumes. I really liked the Anna Karenina deep wine coloured dress of last season.

This could work

LucyH

On the Ice
I watched DW's EX for Evgenia at that Revolution on Ice thing and it was lovely. More of that please :)

I'm pretty excited to see what programs she and her team come up with. I'm one of those that loves her skating and her personality - yes she's got some issues on some of the jumps (lutz edge and that 2A yikes) but some of them are beautiful (loop and salchow) but mostly I feel that her programs are always choreographed the same way with the only difference being the music. To me, she's the best of at "selling her program" of all the ladies and making the audience feel what she's feeling. She's definitely the best "actress" of all the leading ladies. I'm excited to see what team TCC are able to do with that :) When Tracy was commentating, she had some specific things that thought Evgenia needed to work on so I'm excited to have Tracy specifically work to improve those specific SS. Overall I'm just excited for her as a person to have this opportunity to live abroad and try new things and have a super supportive team around her