Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
so what's new? :popcorn: It's been a few hours already without recent developments and arguing... ;)

:sad14:

moriel

Record Breaker
Not sure either but Evgenia isn't a foreigner, she still competes for Russia, so I don't see them not working together because of that :)

Traveling and distance are a big deal.
I mean, you dont get a good costume made in a day, so all possible ways may be pretty disruptive to training process.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:.....Rusian speakers. How do you say "Come On" in Russian? I know Vamos,and Ajde, but I have never learned how to say Come On in Russian.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Didn't know where else to ask, sooo, can someone explain what a "warhorse" means?

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Didn't know where else to ask, sooo, can someone explain what a "warhorse" means?

a music/theme that's been used countless times in figure skating.
examples:
phantom of the opera
carmen
moulin rouge
swan lake
romeo & juliet
etc, etc, etc

Alex D

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:.....Rusian speakers. How do you say "Come On" in Russian? I know Vamos,and Ajde, but I have never learned how to say Come On in Russian.

You really don´t know this? :)

"давай" is a very common word, you usually say it a few times to an athlete. Quite often you also add the word "работа" in that context, like when you are the coach of the athlete. The whole phrase would look like "Давай, давай, работай", then. You could translate this into "cmon, cmon, work / keep going / push". If you just want to say "work hard", a few times "работа" does the job as well.

Reminds me, I said this to liza a few years ago, when she won the bronze at Europeans. ;)

KaliM

Rinkside
Traveling and distance are a big deal.
I mean, you dont get a good costume made in a day, so all possible ways may be pretty disruptive to training process.
I hadn't thought of that :/ Damn and i love her costumes

TGee

Record Breaker
You really don´t know this? :)

"давай" is a very common word, you usually say it a few times to an athlete. Quite often you also add the word "работа" in that context, like when you are the coach of the athlete. The whole phrase would look like "Давай, давай, работай", then. You could translate this into "cmon, cmon, work / keep going / push". If you just want to say "work hard", a few times "работа" does the job as well.

Reminds me, I said this to liza a few years ago, when she won the bronze at Europeans. ;)
Uhm,

I think that this is one of those "it's all in the preposition in English" things.

It didn't occur to me that this was about a positive, cheering thing.

When the question was first posed, I was thinking that "Come on!" was meant more in the irritated "Oh, come on" exasperated sense rather than as a cheer.

This would be more along the lines of "Mais, voyons donc!" in French, and a phrase with "ведь" might cover it in Russian.

But altogether more in the spirit of the criticism we've seen than in supporting Zhenya in a courageous choice.

To cheer in English, I'd be thinking of something like "Do it" , "Go for it" or "You go girl" which come to think of it is very close to " Давай"....

And back to Zhenya, I do look forward to seeing her wrap her head around the day reality of living, training and working in English.

I'll be the first to admit that I've critiqued her speed, spins and jump take-offs as points for improvement in the past.

I've always thought her a great one in talent. I do feel that it makes sense for any athlete to consider at a certain point that new coaching methods and voices are needed to progress - - no matter how productive the relationship has been.

The top coaches and training centres excel at different things... So, I'll be curious to see if TCC can address her relatively weaker points (such that they are) while retaining her strengths.

What I hope most to see is that her very bright and unique personality will be able to shine through her choreography as time goes on...

Давай Женя!

moriel

Record Breaker
So far, according to her mom, she will only travel to Canada in mid june (she has shows scheduled until then).

snwnprv

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Has Olga made costumes for foreign skaters before? Not sure.

Yes, she did at least three dresses for foreign skaters.
For the figure skater(s) from Switzerland:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXqw5cIhkM7/?taken-by=ryabenko_olga21
and
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXqv68rhcCM/?taken-by=ryabenko_olga21
For the figure skater from Mexico:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXpDrNgBiaY/?taken-by=ryabenko_olga21
(the better photos of the same dress: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXpEzjDBLNe/?taken-by=ryabenko_olga21)

1critic

On the Ice

Then I HAVE HOPE! I really want Olga to continue making dresses for Zhenya. She's so good, better than most costumes I've seen, including Vera Wang.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
When the question was first posed, I was thinking that "Come on!" was meant more in the irritated "Oh, come on" exasperated sense rather than as a cheer.

This would be more along the lines of "Mais, voyons donc!" in French, and a phrase with "ведь" might cover it in Russian.
Can't think of a phrase with "ведь" that you may be referring to. Actually, I don't think there is a single phrase that covers it.