Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

bladesofwar

Match Penalty
well technically i think it does not depend entirely from rusfed, and based on their results last season, there is no guarantee they cannot end up at same GP.
I mean, it can happen despite rusfed not happy with it.
Neither Zhenya nor Zagitova has choice dibs of choosing GP because neither of them won 2018 Worlds. Osmond will have first 2 picks. So she will probably pick Skate Canada and Skate America. I think Zhenya will pick Skate Canada and NHK. Canada because it is close to TCC and NHK to avoid clashing with Zagitova and other Russian rivals. Or maybe not NHK but idF or Skate America to avoid the Japanese rivals too.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Neither Zhenya nor Zagitova has choice dibs of choosing GP because neither of them won 2018 Worlds. Osmond will have first 2 picks. So she will probably pick Skate Canada and Skate America. I think Zhenya will pick Skate Canada and NHK. Canada because it is close to TCC and NHK to avoid clashing with Zagitova and other Russian rivals. Or maybe not NHK but idF or Skate America to avoid the Japanese rivals too.

It was said multiple times already but SC will 99% not invite Zhenya to the GP because they want Kaetlyn to win. I think Zhenya could go to SA, tbh I doubt Bradie could win it anyways if any of the top skaters are there and Zhenya will defintiely bring large crowds so it means = $$$ ;)

moriel

Record Breaker

Considering SC and SA are one week apart, i highly doubt that Osmond will pick them both. Does not sound like a wise choice.

Alina was 5th at worlds, so she is seeded skater, right? How does that impact her assignment?
Meanwhile, Med is not a seeded skater.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Considering SC and SA are one week apart, i highly doubt that Osmond will pick them both. Does not sound like a wise choice.

Alina was 5th at worlds, so she is seeded skater, right? How does that impact her assignment?
Meanwhile, Med is not a seeded skater.

As far as I know - she cannot be in the same GPs as Bradie and Carolina (4th, 5th, 6th places), however don't know, if Carolina will compete next season and if then 7th place will be 'seeded'.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This is quite real, Zhenya has a consistently high level of performances. Much will depend on in what form in the new season will Alina. And that can show those who moved from juniors, for example Kihira.

Zhenya always performs at a high level. I am concerned that Alina is distracted by her new fame and all the adoration she now receives. Both Zhenya and Alina are building for 2022. They both need good seasons and to stay healthy. Its a long road to the Bejiing winter olympics.

KiraraChin

Medalist
To me is very clear that Zhenya has a very clever long-term plan so I'm not worried in the slightest. I mean this is a girl who can skate on a double injury - fractured foot + bad back - and still medal. I'd be worried if I were her competitors, because now she's healthy and hungrier for victory than ever.

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To me is very clear that Zhenya has a very clever long-term plan so I'm not worried in the slightest. I mean this is a girl who can skate on a double injury - fractured foot + bad back - and still medal. I'd be worried if I were her competitors, because now she's healthy and hungrier for victory than ever.

And not afraid of anything, just...nothing. :rock:

moriel

Record Breaker

I dunno, i have my worries because many russian skaters are already getting their programs choreographed and all at this point.
She will travel to Canada in mid june, and test skates are usually early in september, so just 2 months and a half to prepare. Add to that moving countries and a whole new coaching environment... She is deffo having a late start =S

Lily flowers

On the Ice
I dunno, i have my worries because many russian skaters are already getting their programs choreographed and all at this point.
She will travel to Canada in mid june, and test skates are usually early in september, so just 2 months and a half to prepare. Add to that moving countries and a whole new coaching environment... She is deffo having a late start =S

I was worried about her too because it is such a late start, but reports say that she performed both 3S and 3L multiple times in FAOI perfectly. So she seems to be training hard as soon as the doctors gave her the okay :agree:

KiraraChin

Medalist

She'll be fine. Brian has hinted they will be targeting competitions a bit later in the Autumn, like Oct/Nov ;)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Your concerns are legit. Her new life will commence soon. But i think Zhenya will thrive in her new life and new training facility in Canada.

On a side note i guess the main question now is will animal lover Zhenya get to meet Masaru before she moves to Toronto? :agree: :biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
I was worried about her too because it is such a late start, but reports say that she performed both 3S and 3L multiple times in FAOI perfectly. So she seems to be training hard as soon as the doctors gave her the okay :agree:

I worry for the late start because of the coaching change.
I mean, it is a whole different style, they may want to change something, her programs will be different from what she is used to and so on.
And Alina, for example, started working on her programs somewhere around end of April, which gives her 1,5 months of advantage.

As for targeting competitions, there is this thing. Russian test skates are usually early in september, no?
I see how Rusfed would want to see her there, for example.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I mean, it is a whole different style, they may want to change something, her programs will be different from what she is used to and so on.
And Alina, for example, started working on her programs somewhere around end of April, which gives her 1,5 months of advantage.

As for targeting competitions, there is this thing. Russian test skates are usually early in september, no?

I think Rusfed would want her there too, but it's not mandatory and if for some reason she was behind with her programs she could easily skip it, I suppose. A lot will depend on her GP assignments, of course, but if she's getting to Canada in late June she has 2 full months to work on 2 programs, which is more than enough to show up at test skates I think.

Also, a lot will depend on her recovery, so far in shows she's only jumped edge jumps

KiraraChin

Medalist

I actually think that they new environment and coaching will play into Zhenya's favour. TCC is a supportive environment, she already knows some of their skaters pretty well, plus she'll have her mum with her. She'll be away from the competitive Russian environment, and will be working with a team that will truly care for her well-being. I think she'll thrive once she gets there.

Let's also remember Zhenya is used to learning programs quickly. She changed programs midway into the season last year! Then, this off-season she already presented us with three new programs - "Beautiful" and two new ones now at FaOI (four if you count the 'jumpless' Anna Karenina).

Alina's situation is different because she hasn't had a new program in how long? Also, it's not like she's been working non-stop since April - she's had holidays, Masaru, school exams, etc. I'd say she probably hasn't started training in earnest, either.

moriel

Record Breaker
I actually think that they new environment and coaching will play into Zhenya's favour. TCC is a supportive environment, she already knows some of their skaters pretty well, plus she'll have her mum with her. She'll be away from the competitive Russian environment, and will be working with a team that will truly care for her well-being. I think she'll thrive once she gets there.

Let's also remember Zhenya is used to learning programs quickly. She changed programs midway into the season last year! Then, this off-season she already presented us with three new programs - "Beautiful" and two new ones now at FaOI (four if you count the 'jumpless' Anna Karenina).

Alina's situation is different because she hasn't had a new program in how long? Also, it's not like she's been working non-stop since April - she's had holidays, Masaru, school exams, etc. I'd say she probably hasn't started training in earnest, either.

Alina's short program is already choreographed, they will start working on the free in the beginning of june.
I dunno, i kinda remain concerned. We dont fully know her health status (afaik she is not doing all the jumps yet). Moving countries is actually a big deal and involves a lot of logistics and issues, even with her mom with her. She will just start training there in mid june, later than competition and with a whole new team that is unfamiliar with her, so it will take some time to figure out best workflow. She won't really be away from the russian competitive environment either, because she will still have to compete with those girls, and she is fully aware of it.
She got test skates in September, and Orser mentioned that they plan doing either Autumn Classic or Finlandia Trophy (Did they change this already?), so her season may start end of September beginning of October.

LucyH

On the Ice
I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The TCC team really know how to deal with comebacks from injuries (they have unfortunately had lots of experience on that front). They are also really good at looking at the rules and maximizing the points without sacrificing artistry or program balance so I'm very excited to see what programs she and the team come up with. This season with her and Yuzu coming back is the most excited I've been for FS (not Olympics related) in a LONG time!

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
There's lots of beautiful a nime music she can skate to if thats what she wants. I prefer a strong tango or spanish music for her. Maos 2010 olys long program music is fab for her. very strong and powerful .

Yes about the anime, no about the tango [emoji23] not sure why but I’m just not a fan of tangos...unless the costume is actually really nice...other than that tangos just seem too dated and overused for me idk why [emoji848]