Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alina's short program is already choreographed, they will start working on the free in the beginning of june.
I dunno, i kinda remain concerned. We dont fully know her health status (afaik she is not doing all the jumps yet). Moving countries is actually a big deal and involves a lot of logistics and issues, even with her mom with her. She will just start training there in mid june, later than competition and with a whole new team that is unfamiliar with her, so it will take some time to figure out best workflow. She won't really be away from the russian competitive environment either, because she will still have to compete with those girls, and she is fully aware of it.
She got test skates in September, and Orser mentioned that they plan doing either Autumn Classic or Finlandia Trophy (Did they change this already?), so her season may start end of September beginning of October.

All true. Good points.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Well.. maybe Evgenia wants to work with many different choreographers and that was part of the reason she left. Maybe she'll work with Wilson this season and Shae-lynn next and Jeff Buttle and Lori Nicol. Maybe even Sandra Bezic. Maybe she'll even look into working with an ice dance choreographer.

She wants to skate to music she likes and feels inspired by. I doubt she's come to Canada to work on something she could easily have done at home. Maybe this season it will be a warhorse become normally it takes time but maybe Evgenia herself has strong ideas about what she wants to skate to. Maybe she wants to do Hip Hop or Swing or Disney. I get the feeling she is a young lady who knows what she wants.

Evgenia as Audrey Hepburn would be inspired. Breakfast at Tiffany's and Roman Holiday and Sabrina are all good soundtracks. Moon River won an Oscar.

I agree on her costumes. Evgenia has had some lovely costumes. I really liked the Anna Karenina deep wine coloured dress of last season.

Yes moon river!!! I can totally see her working with that! And yes, that third Anna Karenina costume of hers was my favourite [emoji7] along with both her costumes of 16/17 season

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes moon river!!! I can totally see her working with that! And yes, that third Anna Karenina costume of hers was my favourite [emoji7] along with both her costumes of 16/17 season

I like the burgundy AK dress from the Olympics, both her Olympic dresses really, Nocturne as well, and the sparkly black AK dress from the Korean ice shows, and the blue dress with matching gloves from River Flows in You. Those are my favorites, but I'd really like to get a closer look at that grey/lavender dress she's been wearing in Japan. I can't wait to see her skate in it. That looks like it is also a beautiful dress.

Dmitryfromsiberia

On the Ice
I like the burgundy AK dress from the Olympics, both her Olympic dresses really, Nocturne as well, and the sparkly black AK dress from the Korean ice shows, and the blue dress with matching gloves from River Flows in You. Those are my favorites, but I'd really like to get a closer look at that grey/lavender dress she's been wearing in Japan. I can't wait to see her skate in it. That looks like it is also a beautiful dress.

https://vk.com/evgeniaarmanovnamedvedeva?z=photo-67998976_456262651/album-67998976_00/rev

Dragonheart97

Rinkside

Here's a set from the whole program, I found it via the link Dmitryfromsiberia posted: https://vk.com/wall-67998976_63055

KiraraChin

Medalist
I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The TCC team really know how to deal with comebacks from injuries (they have unfortunately had lots of experience on that front). They are also really good at looking at the rules and maximizing the points without sacrificing artistry or program balance so I'm very excited to see what programs she and the team come up with. This season with her and Yuzu coming back is the most excited I've been for FS (not Olympics related) in a LONG time!

Exactly! Plus, Zhenya is well-know for adapting well to new situations and getting along with people. There is this great story of how once David Wilson choreographed an ice show program for her, but she never got his email and literally had to learn everything on the day. Wilson said he was amazed of how professional she was. You can see the result here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICS_O__4fiw ;)

zounger

Medalist
It depends when you want to peak. If she wants to peak at October then yes maybe it's late. But I don't think that's the case. She wants to peak at Worlds and keep in mind that last years training shcedule was adjusted so that her and Alina peaked at Olympics in February. Which is shifted a month earlier compared to worlds.

So it's not exactly comparable to last year. Also, I think last year both of them had spent some extra time to work on stamina, because of the fully backloading programs. This season with the changes there is no need for that. Briefly you have one and half month reserve to delay the training compared to last season without actually sacrificing something.

The choreography can be at work even now without her physical presence. Peaking music etc.. The choreography set up anyway takes a couple of days. Since the choreographer will be present at her club there will be always time for quick adjustments. I think she will be ready by October. To medal or win on GPs she just needs to be clean and reach the levels of elements.

KiraraChin

Medalist
It depends when you want to peak. If she wants to peak at October then yes maybe it's late. But I don't think that's the case. She wants to peak at Worlds and keep in mind that last years training shcedule was adjusted so that her and Alina peaked at Olympics in February. Which is shifted a month earlier compared to worlds.

So it's not exactly comparable to last year. Also, I think last year both of them had spent some extra time to work on stamina, because of the fully backloading programs. This season with the changes there is no need for that. Briefly you have one and half month reserve to delay the training compared to last season without actually sacrificing something.

The choreography can be at work even now without her physical presence. Peaking music etc.. The choreography set up anyway takes a couple of days. Since the choreographer will be present at her club there will be always time for quick adjustments. I think she will be ready by October. To medal or win on GPs she just needs to be clean and reach the levels of elements.

I think the timeframe is even more long-term than that, because on his interview Brian said that the goal is to win Beijing 2022 and 'she doesn't have to win every World Championships till then'. Of course, she'll have to balance this with the demands from the RusFed, as you said, this season she just needs to go clean and reach the levels of elements. By the next season, when Trusova & Co appear in the seniors, hopefully she'll be fully adjusted and ready to reach a higher level.

TGee

Record Breaker
I think the timeframe is even more long-term than that, because on his interview Brian said that the goal is to win Beijing 2022 and 'she doesn't have to win every World Championships till then'. Of course, she'll have to balance this with the demands from the RusFed, as you said, this season she just needs to go clean and reach the levels of elements. By the next season, when Trusova & Co appear in the seniors, hopefully she'll be fully adjusted and ready to reach a higher level.
I believe that it's important to keep in mind that all the women will be facing the challenge of the adjustments to IJS.

While the changes to the Scale of Values may not be as significant for Ladies in singles, the changes to GOE scoring with the new bullet points will definitely mean that what was a point maximizing strategy in this past quadrennial will not necessarily give the Eteri group the edge going forward.

All to say that other Russian ladies may being facing unprecedented feedback this season. The federation will be looking to see who adapt and has the best potential going forward.

Zhenya seems to have made a choice in her new coaching situation that will increase her potential to adapt.

moriel

Record Breaker

The main issue with higher level is that her scoring capability is nearly maxed out unless she upgrades her TES.

I mean, the GOE changes for example - pretty sure there will be a tradeoff for all skaters pretty much (so like, no tano but a bigger jump with better flow, something like this) which will end up in everybody getting roughly the same scores (+ all the reputation scoring and so on) that they are currently getting. Judges will keep giving crazy high GOE for quads for literally no reason and so on.

Her PCs have literally no room to grow.

Under new system, Zhenya will have a slight gain in TES over Alina (Zhenya backloads less, and Alina's BV will drop more than Zhenya's with new jump BVs). But if she aims for Beijing, her competition will not be Alina, but Alexandra, Anna and Alena. For example, Alena looks pretty capable of scoring same TES as Zhenya under any rules, and also getting same PCs in 2-3 years, even without quads and 3A.

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The main issue with higher level is that her scoring capability is nearly maxed out unless she upgrades her TES.

I mean, the GOE changes for example - pretty sure there will be a tradeoff for all skaters pretty much (so like, no tano but a bigger jump with better flow, something like this) which will end up in everybody getting roughly the same scores (+ all the reputation scoring and so on) that they are currently getting. Judges will keep giving crazy high GOE for quads for literally no reason and so on.

Under new system, Zhenya will have a slight gain in TES over Alina (Zhenya backloads less, and Alina's BV will drop more than Zhenya's with new jump BVs). But if she aims for Beijing, her competition will not be Alina, but Alexandra, Anna and Alena. For example, Alena looks pretty capable of scoring same TES as Zhenya under any rules, and also getting same PCs in 2-3 years, even without quads and 3A.

Yeah, I also think that Alena will be the real competition for her, not Sasha. Alena looks like a more complete skater to me, while Sasha is just a jumper (but granted what a jumper :eeking:). Alena and Sasha will be the next Zhenya and Alina. That's my (novice) take on it.

KiraraChin

Medalist

Zhenya will upgrade her TES, that's exactly why she went to Brian - so she can up her TES in a sustainable way and peak in Beijing.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Zhenya will upgrade her TES, that's exactly why she went to Brian - so she can up her TES in a sustainable way and peak in Beijing.

Don't hold your breath on that.

First of all they don't have much time to work on new things this season starting in mid-late june.

Pretty sure Brian will try to give her a status (both in Russia and outside) so she doesn't necessarily need to go with the most difficult elements, which means they will work more on the overall quality. Just like what they did with Yuzuru and Javi and it makes perfect sense considering the new rules will reward more the quality of the elements and less the difficulty.

I don't think the jump layout will change for the FS, while the SP my hope is:

2a
3F-3T x
3lo (or 3ltz) x

work on the axel technique, it needs to be more smooth. I can see her doing the Lutz as a solo jump because why bother the edge when judges don't call it for Kaetlyn and Gabby?

But based on what he did in the past, i'm worried her new SP will be

3F-3T
3Lo x
2a x

Which it might not be enough to even compete at Russian Nationals where the competition is based on:

1) politics / reputation.
2) jumps

moriel

Record Breaker

The thing is - she cannot really upgrade her TES. Realistically:
- She will not get a 3A. Her 2A is already a problem jump, which makes a 3A pretty unlikely.
- Quads. Honestly, look at Trusova, who has better jumps than Medvedeva ever had - her quads are pretty far from stable. It is very debatable that a senior lady could learn a minimally stable quad. Hope that someone proves me wrong, but...
- She can fix her Lz edge or PR that she fixed it and have 2 3Lz.
- She can get 3Lz+3Lo combo (although maybe not even worth it because of GOE).

But the thing is, her competition for Beijing will also have 3Lz with right edge and 3Lz+3Lo. This competition also has better jumps overall, which means it will be easier for them to hit the first 3 GOE bullets.

TBH i am pretty curious to see what they will do, because while I see how she could beat Alina, I don't see how she could beat Alena and Co =(

Lily flowers

On the Ice
The thing is - she cannot really upgrade her TES. Realistically:
- She will not get a 3A. Her 2A is already a problem jump, which makes a 3A pretty unlikely.
- Quads. Honestly, look at Trusova, who has better jumps than Medvedeva ever had - her quads are pretty far from stable. It is very debatable that a senior lady could learn a minimally stable quad. Hope that someone proves me wrong, but...
- She can fix her Lz edge or PR that she fixed it and have 2 3Lz.
- She can get 3Lz+3Lo combo (although maybe not even worth it because of GOE).

But the thing is, her competition for Beijing will also have 3Lz with right edge and 3Lz+3Lo. This competition also has better jumps overall, which means it will be easier for them to hit the first 3 GOE bullets.

TBH i am pretty curious to see what they will do, because while I see how she could beat Alina, I don't see how she could beat Alena and Co =(

For all we know, by the time Beijing comes along, Alena and Co. will be the veterans who are trying to make it, and there will be other 15/16 year old phenoms (coached by Eteri herself possibly) who’ll overtake them....

Literally, anything could happen, and with determination, anything is possible. I’ll personally choose to be optimistic for Zhenya, she knows what those girls are capable of more than any of us.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Don't hold your breath on that.

First of all they don't have much time to work on new things this season starting in mid-late june.

Pretty sure Brian will try to give her a status (both in Russia and outside) so she doesn't necessarily need to go with the most difficult elements, which means they will work more on the overall quality. Just like what they did with Yuzuru and Javi and it makes perfect sense considering the new rules will reward more the quality of the elements and less the difficulty.

I don't think the jump layout will change for the FS, while the SP my hope is:

2a
3F-3T x
3lo (or 3ltz) x

work on the axel technique, it needs to be more smooth. I can see her doing the Lutz as a solo jump because why bother the edge when judges don't call it for Kaetlyn and Gabby?

But based on what he did in the past, i'm worried her new SP will be

3F-3T
3Lo x
2a x

Which it might not be enough to even compete at Russian Nationals where the competition is based on:

1) politics / reputation.
2) jumps

I didn't say it was going to be this season. But upgrading her TES is what she wants to do, she's been wanting to do it for a long time, and it was the main driver for her to change coaches. Like I said before, it's a long-term plan.