Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

TGee

Record Breaker
We just didnt point it out because... How many ladies that met the qualifying TES for Worlds russian has again?
Many, I'm sure...

But I'm not sure that all of the seniors at test skates had it. (e.g. Radionova?)

And while many of the older Juniors have CS assignments, I wonder if it's been covered off for all of them.

The crucial thing is not how many, but that it's the right ones who have the qualifying TES. Sending #4 or #5 because #2 can't go and #3 doesn't have the TES is never an ideal situation.

In the situation I cited, Canada sent someone who was having an off-season after a growth spurt and the outcome was very poor.

melgirl25

Medalist
Zhenya is definitely in a bit of uncharted territory and yes the recent statistics are not in her favor to overcome them. But that's kind of the fun of the challenge for me -- not that she's there for my amusement of course.

Irina Slutskaya is a big reason I hope she overcomes that challenge. Her 2005 Worlds win (and that season in general) was probably one of the most exciting in figure skating given the challenges she overcame leading up to it. Yes, yes, she was not dealing with a deep field in Russia back then, but still it was exciting. I was on a break from skating then, but I've gone back and realize how fun it is to see her evolve from when she was a young upstart back in the 1998 Olympics to one of the most veteran skaters in 2006 Olympics. To be clear, I'm talking strictly about their career trajectory -- cause I can hear somebody say, "But Irina had XYZ.... and She didn't compete in a deep field, etc" My point is that I think it would be quite a story if she managed to overcome a flood of young skaters and made it to 2022.

Nobody said it was an easy goal to get to 2022, but obviously Zhenya knows what she signed up for. Besides, what's the alternative at this point? Give up? Stay with Eteri and be the shadow of whatever up-and-comer rules the JGP/dominates the world field at the moment? Zhenya probably remembers how it was for other skaters when SHE was the up-and-comer.

At least at TCC, she gets to work with other skaters around the world, improve her English, develop different aspects of her skating and try new things. At her age, that's pretty thrilling, I'm sure. Not to mention the fact that she won't have any regrets --- there won't be any "What would have happened if I got coached by Brian Orser?" Even if she doesn't make the 2022 Olympic team, she can say she made a go for it.

She is very adamant about representing Russia right now but I was hoping she would be open to representing Armenia if she had to. I understand though that she has to be that way because people were upset about her leaving Russia to train in the West. I guess we will cross that bridge in a few years....

Fluture

Record Breaker
She is very adamant about representing Russia right now but I was hoping she would be open to representing Armenia if she had to. I understand though that she has to be that way because people were upset about her leaving Russia to train in the West. I guess we will cross that bridge in a few years....

No offense to Armenia but if she chose to represent another country I would want her to choose Canada. It has a history in skating and I‘m pretty sure she would get sufficient help there as opposed to Armenia who doesn‘t seem to have as many opportunities for skaters. I don‘t know what it would take for her to compete for Canada but I can imagine that they would take her with open arms now that they basically only have Gabby (and Kaetlyn if she returns).

But honestly, I don‘t think Zhenya would ever represent any other country than Russia. We have to remember, she is the girl who went and made a speech for Russia to be able to take part in the Olympics. Her team and her hid the Russian flag under the big white scarves they wore at the Olympicd. She‘s always proudly singing the National anthem when she‘s won a competition. It’s obvious that she loves her country. I don‘t think she would really want to represent any other country than Russia. She would have had to change citizenship, wouldn‘t she? And rusfed would have had to release her. She would have to sit out a time from competition. And most importantly: She would have to WANT it in the first place. Of course she might surprise me but I don‘t think she‘d consider this option.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And honestly, some skaters feel very strongly about competing in a deep field for the opportunity to represent their home country even if it means fewer opportunities. Like you'll never see Jason Brown represent Israel or the Maia and Alex Shibutani represent Japan. I know with Maia and Alex that could have been very much a valid option, especially when they were struggling to hang on to USA No. 3 a few years back.

Zhenya I think would have the same pride. She strikes me as competing for Russia or not competing at all.

Last edited:

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
And honestly, some skaters feel very strongly about competing in a deep field for the opportunity to represent their home country even if it means fewer opportunities. Like you'll never see Jason Brown represent Israel or the Maia and Alex Shibutani represent Japan. I know with Maia and Alex that could have been very much a valid option, especially when they were struggling to hang on to USA No. 3 a few years back.

Zhenya I think would have the same pride. She strikes me as competing for Russia or not competing at all.

I agree. She was the front person for Russia when it was appealing the IOC ban. She had the Russian flag hidden in the coat she wore to the olympics. I think she, like most Russians (it seems), is particularly patriotic.

That makes it harder or easier (depending on who you are), to see why there was hysteria over her decision to train with a non-Russian coach, I think.

NataFoxxy

On the Ice

There a certain rule applies when athletes decided to compete for another country:
1. Athlete has to be citizen of that country. Can PM of Canada award citizenship to Evgenya avoiding requirements, such as living in Canada for 3 year before being allegeable to apply for Canadian citizenship?
2. Russian federation has to provide permission to Evgenya to compete for another country.
3. After receiving this permission and citizenship there is 2 years quarantine, when athletes are not allowed to compete on international level.
4. Considering all the above Evgenya will not be able to compete in 2022 for another country.

Conclusion: if Eugenia wants to compete in Olympics 2022, she has no choice, but compete for Russia

moriel

Record Breaker
I dont think it is even about pride.
Switching countries is not an option if she has 2022 as goal. Russia will keep her out of competition as long as possible. And if she sits out of competition for 1-2 years, she will have troubles with training on top level.

As for the flag in the uniform - it was part of the Olympic uniform, so it does not show any specific patriotism or whatever. Its not like specific people hid a flag in their coats, it was the uniform given to them.

TGee

Record Breaker
There a certain rule applies when athletes decided to compete for another country:
1. Athlete has to be citizen of that country. Can PM of Canada award citizenship to Evgenya avoiding requirements, such as living in Canada for 3 year before being allegeable to apply for Canadian citizenship?
2. Russian federation has to provide permission to Evgenya to compete for another country.
3. After receiving this permission and citizenship there is 2 years quarantine, when athletes are not allowed to compete on international level.
4. Considering all the above Evgenya will not be able to compete in 2022 for another country.

Conclusion: if Eugenia wants to compete in Olympics 2022, she has no choice, but compete for Russia
I can't believe this keeps coming back....sigh

She is a proud Russian citizen and intends to skate for Russia.

However for the sake of accuracy, here is how it worked for Lubov Ilyushechkina who wanted to skate for Canada, and Russia wished to release her:

1) Lubov was released by the Russian skating federation

2) there is now only a 12 month wait to skate for another country in international events. Lubov had already sat that out while coaching and attending university. So as soon as she had the release from RusFed, she was able to compete for Canada.

3) Lubov got a short term visa in order to be able to train and work in Canada

4) Lubov sought permanent residency in Canada. This seemed to take a long time, obstacles were not made public. And without this, she could not receive federal athlete's funding from the Canadian government.

5) Once she had her permanent residency, Lubov was able to apply for citizenship under a special provision for elite athletes where the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration has discretion. Kaitlyn Weaver also gained her citizenship this way, but at that time it took a Cabinet decision. Otherwise one has to wait 3 years from the time one obtains permanent residency. She became a citizen of Canada last fall.

So, I can't imagine why Zhenya would consider taking this path.

Can folks please stop bringing this up?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… As for the flag in the uniform - it was part of the Olympic uniform, so it does not show any specific patriotism or whatever. Its not like specific people hid a flag in their coats, it was the uniform given to them.

Flags were forbidden from uniforms for Olympic Athletes from Russia, AFAIK/IIRC??

Do you have a photo of OAR uniforms that shows otherwise?

I think it would have been meaningful to hide a flag underneath the official OAR uniform.

moriel

Record Breaker
Flags were forbidden from uniforms for Olympic Athletes from Russia, AFAIK/IIRC??

Do you have a photo of OAR uniforms that shows otherwise?

I think it would have been meaningful to hide a flag underneath the official OAR uniform.

https://barneos22.ru/files/news/5a9b8a0c0cda2.jpg
Afaik, it was covered during the olympics, and since it was not visible, i dont see how it would be a matter

There is a pic of both Zhenya and Alina displaying the flags: http://g4.delphi.lv/images/pix/520x315/b4Bx_cHYrBs/medvedeva-zagitova-49803643.jpg

Overall you can clearly see that it is part of the uniform, covered by the scarf at the Olympics

I legitimately think Med is the Kim Kardashian of FS, at this point. I've even made the comment before, but the weird-ass evidence keeps piling on.

moriel

Record Breaker
https://www.ntv.ru/novosti/1974049/

an article about the russian uniform (it also features a video showing the stuff they talk about):

[...] you can actually see the russian colors on the olympic clothes, but this requires a lot of effort. For example, the coat for the parade - if you stretch the knitted detail, under it you can see the russian flag. A white strip was sewn on top of the flag.

Same with the shoes: if you remove tape from them, you will find the coat of arms. Designers say they simply had no time to remake the shoes. [...]

So while indeed Zhenya had the russian flag in her uniform, it was not her personal choice or decision, but rather a design choice for the whole team.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I have seen you identify yourself as a Russian in other posts, but you use the Canadian flag in your posts, so that indicates to me you are living in Canada? Do you know the answer about citizenship as a Russian living in Canada? I am genuinely curious.:scratch3:

Shani

On the Ice
It seems really weird as a whole and so full of hypocrisy by the Olympic committee that Russia was actually allowed to compete athletes as OAR in the team event. If they were drugging athletes ban the whole team or none. Definitely not compete in a team event. I can understand why individual athletes with no doping history should be allowed in individual events but a team event is bizarre. Seems the IOC had no problems in the summer Olympics banning other countries in the past.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
It was previously reported that Medvedeva may move to Armenian national team in order to guarantee her participation in major international competitions. I think this could only happen when Medvedeva can no longer get into the Russian national team on merit. Her father Arman Babasyan is of Armenian origin and she can technically perform for the Armenian national team, if she chooses to do so as a last resort.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Things are not so dire for her yet that she needs to switch county. Plus, excepting Arminia because she is half Arminian, I think at this point most countries would be to proud to accept an athlete from another country if they had already achieved major success for that country.

It’s one thing to accept an up and coming skater/couple who is just not good enough in a deep field or lacking funding and attention at home and quite another to accept a two time world champion for Russia. Plus Evgenia is sponsored by the Russian subsidiary’s of major companies that would all go away if she stops being Russian.

Does anyone know what her next competition will be? In my opinion we can’t really judge what will happen until she competes more.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Things are not so dire for her yet that she needs to switch county. Plus, excepting Arminia because she is half Arminian, I think at this point most countries would be to proud to accept an athlete from another country if they had already achieved major success for that country.

It’s one thing to accept an up and coming skater/couple who is just not good enough in a deep field or lacking funding and attention at home and quite another to accept a two time world champion for Russia. Plus Evgenia is sponsored by the Russian subsidiary’s of major companies that would all go away if she stops being Russian.

Does anyone know what her next competition will be? In my opinion we can’t really judge what will happen until she competes more.
Skate Canada.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Anyone live near TCC? Please take Evgenia to a jazz club and latin dance club. It would do her so much good to experience the culture herself.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Skate Canada. And if Evgenia thought of switching she would have done it already. Plus I'm sure China would have wanted her. I don't think she would ever change countries.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Skate Canada. And if Evgenia thought of switching she would have done it already. Plus I'm sure China would have wanted her. I don't think she would ever change countries.
China? Evgenia representing China? Id pay to see that!!