Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Not saying she will switch country... but would that be a big deal?

I mean look at Aloyana savchenko... personal goals come before representing your country in sports imho. Sports are not your duty as citizen.... so if Evgenia decides to switch countries because she no longer has support in Russia.... that would be a personal decision.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
China is one of those countries that doesn’t allow dual nationality, like Japan. You need the passport for the Olympics. It is also very nationalistic. Evgenia might be well liked in China but I’m not sure if they’d accept her to represent China over a Chinese figure skater.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Evgenia: posts on Instagram about her love for Japan.
Somebody in the comments: Is she going to represent Japan?

🙄

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Evgenia: posts on Instagram about her love for Japan.
Somebody in the comments: Is she going to represent Japan?

🙄

An eyeroll is really the only way to deal with these citizenship shenanigans.

moriel

Record Breaker

If that is for real, that is pretty not smart comment.
Japan is one of the worst countries to get citizenship (see all the pairs and dance struggles).

Reth

On the Ice
Seriously it’s so ridiculous. I know people want to troll but at least twitter troll don’t act this dumb on purpose.

TGee

Record Breaker
Well we got Ted Barton's e-mail. We could mail him and ask him to do it.
Ted is a 5 hour flight away from Toronto in Vancouver LOL.

(Canada may not have the 9 hour internal domestic flights that Russia does, but it is the 2nd largest country geographically.)

Ted is also the Executive Director of Skate Canada's British Columbia / Yukon Section. It would not be done...

But you could send a nice Instagram comment to one of the TCC team asking if they are working in dance instruction.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
That's what I said about the resources Evgenia has in Canada. If she is given a jazz program in Russia, I am pretty sure she will have some in-house jazz training. In Canada, yes, TCC has dance studios, but she has to go to the studio and possibly arrange training herself. Does Brain has an assistant to schedule all of his skaters' training schedules?

moriel

Record Breaker
Ted is a 5 hour flight away from Toronto in Vancouver LOL.

(Canada may not have the 9 hour internal domestic flights that Russia does, but it is the 2nd largest country geographically.)

Ted is also the Executive Director of Skate Canada's British Columbia / Yukon Section. It would not be done...

But you could send a nice Instagram comment to one of the TCC team asking if they are working in dance instruction.

I basically just "know" two people who could do it (i mean, for example, I cannot imagine Hanyu doing something like that), Ted and Jason, and Jason got GPs to prepare himself for.

TGee

Record Breaker
That's what I said about the resources Evgenia has in Canada. If she is given a jazz program in Russia, I am pretty sure she will have some in-house jazz training. In Canada, yes, TCC has dance studios, but she has to go to the studio and possibly arrange training herself. Does Brain has an assistant to schedule all of his skaters' training schedules?
It's not clear.

The primary coach certainly lays out the vision and the plan, and some classes are organized by the training centre. These may include group on-ice lessons like stroking or small group dance. There seem to also be certified personal trainers (fitness) in the gym.

Certainly, the team will help identify needs and help Zhenya get set up, especially initially.

However, if we go by Lubov's comments, the skaters are responsible for booking much of this themselves. She has said that she really relied on her partner Dylan Moscovitch to organize their schedule the first season.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Maybe Jason can give Evgenia some jazz training. Wasn't his former coach a professional jazz dancer and Jason had a number of jazz programs earlier in his career?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maybe Jason can give Evgenia some jazz training. Wasn't his former coach a professional jazz dancer and Jason had a number of jazz programs earlier in his career?

I'm still confused why we're assuming that Zhenya doesn't have dance training? TCC has a dance studio and it's obvious that it's being used.

To answer your question, yes Kori Ade was a hip-hop choreographer/dancer and Jason did have a few swing/jazz programs.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'm still confused why we're assuming that Zhenya doesn't have dance training? TCC has a dance studio and it's obvious that it's being used.

To answer your question, yes Kori Ade was a hip-hop choreographer/dancer and Jason did have a few swing/jazz programs.

We do not assume, but we consider the possibility.
It is based on the differences between russian and NA coaching: in russia, the coaching team usually organizes it all for the skater. In NA, it is more common to simply give skater recomendations on what to do, and it is up to the skater to book this stuff.

TGee

Record Breaker

It's that it's not all preprogrammed for the skater.

It's certain that there are dance instructors qualified in various methods in the area. Whether it's a regular offering, someone comes in or they go to another school depends on demand and who the instructor is.

We've seen gifs of Jason, Gabby and Jun in dance class together at TCC.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's that it's not all preprogrammed for the skater.

It's certain that there are dance instructors qualified in various methods in the area. Whether it's a regular offering, someone comes in or they go to another school depends on demand and who the instructor is.

We've seen gifs of Jason, Gabby and Jun in dance class together at TCC.

Oh OK, I see what you and moriel are getting at. You can also add Joseph Pham to that list--he posted an IG story sometime back of him and Jason at the studio.

Yeah, I guess my take is that I would be surprised if she wasn't getting dance training. Sometimes those lessons don't always translate to the ice though.

TGee

Record Breaker
Oh OK, I see what you and moriel are getting at. You can also add Joseph Pham to that list--he posted an IG story sometime back of him and Jason at the studio.

Yeah, I guess my take is that I would be surprised if she wasn't getting dance training. Sometimes those lessons don't always translate to the ice though.
This brings me back to the 'Let's be patient', discussion...

It's all a lot for any human being to absorb in a very brief period of time.

Everyone's assuming that's she's not taking jazz lessons or ballroom dance, including tango.

But it could be that it hasn't all come together ...

Or, it could be that she hasn't learned to express in a more free or 'method' way.

A lot of gestures and expression in traditional Russian theatre, ballet and character dance are standardized. They are trained and rehearsed in class, and then become memes or building blocks in choreography.

So, Zhenya is likely used to memorizing the sequence for her programs.

Now, instead she is being asked to reproduce a style rather than certain gestures or expressions in a set pattern.

Now we've seen from some video of character dance classes at Sambo70 that Zhenya can be very expressive. So the capacity is there, it's likely a question of how to bring it out in the program.

Lubov mentioned in interviews that it was the improvisation drama / acting classes that Lee Barkell organized for her and Dylan that really helped her make the transition, and express emotions in a different way from the Russian approach. She also has said many times that one of the things that she really came to enjoy was the emotional expression in their programs.