Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

melgirl25

Medalist
You all are cracking me up with GOAT discussion

[/URL]
I think both Evgenia and Alina would look adorable holding a baby goat. I'm not so sure about Eteri. :dev3:[/QUOTE]

Agreed

tomc100

Rinkside
And it is still Michelle Kwan

That's true because I'm biased. Seriously though, I think Alexandra Trusova has the potential to become the greatest of all time. If she continues with her quads and skates clean she would technically be unbeatable. Nobody could touch her. Also, if she develops her artistry and choreography she could become the greatest ladies figure skater ever.

Shani

On the Ice
Yes. Time is the word there. And I hope she is. Because athleticism transcends boundaries.

SXTN

Final Flight
That's true because I'm biased. Seriously though, I think Alexandra Trusova has the potential to become the greatest of all time. If she continues with her quads and skates clean she would technically be unbeatable. Nobody could touch her. Also, if she develops her artistry and choreography she could become the greatest ladies figure skater ever.

There is no greatest skater of all time because you simply cannot compare skaters of different eras. Michelle was one of the greatest of her era but watching her programs in 2018 you realize how much these girls have achieved in terms of intricate programs over the past years. Michelle's choreography was hundreds of crossovers, two-foot skating and telegraphed jumps.

TGee

Record Breaker
Uhm, this is a thread for discussing Evgenia Medvedeva's season.

Whether she will be remembered as one of 'The Great Ones' may depend on how this new phase of her career works out.

But let's not divert to a discussion about which past skaters we view as the GOAT, or who might be in future.

One thing is clear to me, for many Russian fans Medvedeva's skating under Eteri was exceptional and quintessentially Russian.

What new statement she will make in skating is to be determined. I'm not sure we'll see more than some early experiments towards that new Zhenya this season as she and her coaches explore new things.

melgirl25

Medalist
Did she ever do a triple lutz combo? I would love to see her get that. What other combos do you think are possible?

tomc100

Rinkside
I'm pretty sure Evgenia is already considered one of the greatest of all time since she's one of only a few elites who won 2 consecutive Worlds Champion since Michelle Kwan. She's also one of the most decorated figure skater in terms of winning gold medals. Hopefully, she will win some more barring any more injuries.

melgirl25

Medalist
I'm pretty sure Evgenia is already considered one of the greatest of all time since she's one of only a few elites who won 2 consecutive Worlds Champion since Michelle Kwan. She's also one of the most decorated figure skater in terms of winning gold medals. Hopefully, she will win some more barring any more injuries.

Her Olympic free skate was one of the greatest of all time - the passion, storytelling and how it grabbed you. I also think her uniqueness in how she interprets music makes her one of the goats. There are many people who try to do that but just look awkward and fake. I know many disagree but I found it refreshing to see a skater like Zhenya. But yes new chapter...I think we will see more amazing but different performances!

nervosa

On the Ice
Did she ever do a triple lutz combo? I would love to see her get that. What other combos do you think are possible?

I don't think she would do a 3lz combo, I get the impression that she needs a lot of concentration to hold onto her improved technique instead of regressing to bad habits under pressure.

In this video she does a 3f-1lo-3f-3t. I don't think it would be practical to have 3f-1lo-3f because she has to give up 3f-3t, but maybe something like 3s/3lo-1lo-3f could work out for her. She also did a long sequence with a -1lo-3s in there, combos like 3a-1lo-3s are sometimes found in men's, maybe that would be something to think about. I'm not super familiar with the point values of jumps, so I can't say what would be a good idea though. (Wouldn't it be a sight to see if she did a 3lz-1lo-3f someday? Haha.)

She also does a 3f-3t-3lo and a 3s-3lo-3t, so maybe she can upgrade one of her -3t or -2t-2t combos to -3lo or 2t-2lo at some point. I'm personally hoping and crossing my fingers for a 3f-3lo or 3s-3lo, and plus loop is one of her better jumps.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
To be honest I am a bit nervous. It is so easy to be beaten up on these sites and get so confused. Some are saying like TSL and some writers here say Evgenia's body has changed so much and she has bad technique so she is having trouble jumping. I do admit the jumps don't see as easy. Some don't like her new programs either. I am scared a bit because she has matured a lot physically and that will affect her jumps regardless of technique. Also, without a 3jump 3 loop combo or triple axel she looks vulnerable. EVen a 3loop 3loop for the free would be helpful. it is early in the season but she has looked nervous, programs a bit empty, triple lutz not finished and no 3loop tacked on to a 3F which might be key for her. She isn't quite therer on selling either programs especially the long. But I would like to have some hope she might do it.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think it would be quite odd for her to try combinations with triple lutz till her lutz edge is still not really fine.

I think it would be quite odd for her to try combinations with triple lutz till her lutz edge is still not really fine.

Sasha Cohen regularly used to do a 3Lze+2T, and did a 3Lze+2T+2Lo under CoP rules. Not unheard of.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
To be honest I am a bit nervous. It is so easy to be beaten up on these sites and get so confused. Some are saying like TSL and some writers here say Evgenia's body has changed so much and she has bad technique so she is having trouble jumping. I do admit the jumps don't see as easy. Some don't like her new programs either. I am scared a bit because she has matured a lot physically and that will affect her jumps regardless of technique. Also, without a 3jump 3 loop combo or triple axel she looks vulnerable. EVen a 3loop 3loop for the free would be helpful. it is early in the season but she has looked nervous, programs a bit empty, triple lutz not finished and no 3loop tacked on to a 3F which might be key for her. She isn't quite therer on selling either programs especially the long. But I would like to have some hope she might do it.
Her jumps didn't seem easy in 2017-2018 either, why would they now considering how little full-time training she's had. I don't think she can go back to jumping like it's 2016. They are trying to build up her muscles so her jumps do not rely on feather-lightness and rotation to the same extent.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I feel like Evgenia has nothing left to prove and if she wanted to she could just skate for herself and as a student of life at this point, but it will be interesting to see how she responds competitively this season. I love her SP, but less sure about her LP - she didn't appear to me to be finding the inspiration in it, or at least not as much as in her SP. But I wonder if seeing how Alina came out blazing at Nebelhorn is going to light that competitive fire in Evengia? Alina really surprised me with how good she looked at Nebelhorn - she seems to have worked really hard adjusting to her growth, and she looks more mature and absolutely beautiful on the ice. (Maybe I'm just relieved she wasn't wearing a tutu?) - But how is this rivalry going to play out this season, now that Alina appears to be moving into high gear - will Evgenia see what Alina is up to and find a new gear to move into as well?