You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 9 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
When someone is described as "edgy," you immediately think, Oh please, everyone knows she always flutzes.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you play figure skating videos in a loop on Youtube.
...you flip out when your favourite wins a major international competition.
...you admire great toe point on jump landings.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
when you know that lightning bolt on forehead it's Masaru Zagitova not Harry Potter

LadyB

Record Breaker
When you're watching an important event, but you're so busy tweeting, instagraming, talking to GS folks and getting angry with the stop-and-start live stream that you feel completely exhausted afterwards, but you have to watch it all again on YouTube straight away as you've missed out on bits and pieces in the process.

When at work, you follow the live score and comments by your GS friends, who keep you in the loop. On those days, work definitely suffers.

temadd

Final Flight
When somewhere in a weird dream you walk up to Raf Arutunian and ask him to borrow something. He tells you to get back on the ice. And you don't even skate (not since 1982).

Seriously, my dream this morning.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I actually thought about getting a new keyboard a year or so ago. But, I couldn't find one that did all 3 alphabets I wanted - Latin, Greek and Cyrillic. And anyway, I would miss the extra buttons at the top of my current keyboard (they are REALLY useful!)

I could find button stickers that did all 3 alphabets, but surely a sticker can't magically make a button work differently! :laugh:

If you are serious about wanting to know, a lot of skaters are getting gear from the clothing company that Jenna McCorkell set up a year or so ago. I won't post any more details here, but let's just say that it's not hard to find info on her social media accounts.

CaroLiza_fan

Ahhh, thank you CaroLiza_fan!!

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Not just classical. I've got an iPhone playlist called 'skaters'...

Also, when you hear a previously unrelated tune or song and you immediately begin to imagine who could skate to it.

A weird one: When you've got loads of colleagues and you find doppelgaengers for several skaters and you name them in your head after them :laugh:

When you put the twitter account of your fave skater's favourite football (or whatever) club on 'notifications', even if you're not their fan.

When you're totally chuffed that a family member of your skater(s) follows you on IG!

When your friend goes to Ontario on a camper van family trip and you hand them a list with location names, saying: "If you're there, bring me something back or send at least a picture."

I have skating music pop up regularly in my “your mix” section, I suppose that’s a pretty strong indication of fandom ;)

I’m taking your next one a little further though lol, when I hear non-skating related tunes, I somehow (because I legit cannot skate) will often choreograph a program for MYSELF 😂 and I’m telling you, once you’ve put a twizzle in a certain part of a song, that’s where it stays!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
By the way, my congrats to Bill for starting this thread and everyone who has posted on it. It's already one of the most fun "off-season" threads I've read in my time here.

:cool2:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
By the way, my congrats to Bill for starting this thread and everyone who has posted on it. It's already one of the most fun "off-season" threads I've read in my time here.

:cool2:

Thanks WeakAnkles! It's great to read some of these posts and think "Hey, I do that too" and also the many unique and individual ways that fellow fans enjoy the sport. With figure skating being a sort of niche sport, often others don't understand the lengths we sometimes go to just to watch it or why we care about it so much but with fellow fans, there is a collective and mutual appreciation.

livetoskate

On the Ice
I love this thread; thanks, BillNeal! Ok here are some more:

Your friends and family give you skating-related stuff as gifts.
You've dressed up and skated a program to the same music as one of your skating idols.
You've set the alarm for 5am to wake up in time to watch skating competitions on the internet.
You've read or bought almost every skater's autobiography and even the Christine Brennan books.
You still have old skating magazines and videotapes from the 1990s gathering dust in storage.
When you're bored at work, you google former competitive skaters to see what they're up to.
You look forward to practicing moves done by top skaters, like Yuzuru's difficult entries into jumps and Michelle's change edge spiral.
You try learning a new language to learn more about your favorite international skaters.
You stay up late watching old skating programs on youtube.
You'd rather watch skating alone and are perfectly happy doing so, instead of watching with people who aren't big skating fans.
You get excited seeing a former competitive skater that probably no one else would recognize, like Ron Kravette.
You've told people they remind you of a skater (in my case, people who looked like Patrick Chan, older versions of Deanna Stellato, Alysa Liu & Vincent Zhou)
You are thrilled to find out someone or a member of their family has also skated.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Prior to seeing your first major international competition live in the rink:

...you were thinking of getting a session pass only but you end up getting an all-event pass with no regrets!
...you do your homework by watching figure skating videos, googling, and reading the ISU technical requirements so that you won't be an ignorant audience member.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
When my favorites are skating I make sure my eyes don't wander to the scoring graphic in the upper left of the screen.

The sight of red or yellow dots (Olympics) or the red box for negative GOE (GP, Worlds) upsets me too much. :(

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
When you see acronyms in a non-skating context and still think of skating terms... My cold pills say 'PE' on them, and I automatically said 'performance/execution' in my head. There's a company that recycles print cartridges for my office, and the acronym for their name is CSG... which my skating/GS-focused brain turned into 'Canadian Skater Guy'. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm pulling away from the whole thing now, but -

Long-time posters might recall I had kept a large photo collection...somehow I've managed to collect over 100K (ETA 5/27: approx. 196K) photos of (mostly female) skaters and skating performances over a stretch of 16 years...kinda crazy when I think about it

Thought it would be fun to go through and see who I had the most of - the top 10 largest folders in the collection:

1. Sasha Cohen (13.3K)
2. Michelle Kwan (12.7K)
3. Tara Lipinski (11.4K)
4. Yuna Kim (9.7K)
5. Sarah Hughes (8.7K)
6. Irina Slutskaya (7.2K)
7. Carolina Kostner (6.6K)
8. Ashley Wagner (6.2K)
9. Kimmie Meissner (5.2K)
10. Mao Asada (4.5K)

and this is out of about 120(?) or so folders in total

One thing most of the above have in common, they've either had relatively long careers and/or have racked up medals so it's not too surprising really...

ETA 5/27: Added approx. pic count to all folders

Also, all 10 of them were Olympians (and competing at the Olympics generates a mass of photos as you all know).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I'm pulling away from the whole thing now, but -

Long-time posters might recall I had kept a large photo collection...somehow I've managed to collect over 100K photos of (mostly female) skaters and skating performances over a stretch of 16 years...kinda crazy when I think about it

Wow that's quite an impressive achievement! Please stay though, we love wise and experienced FS fans :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
When you're watching another sport but think about figure skating. Like watching football, seeing Real madrid win his third straight champions league, but thinking how epic it would be if a figure skater win 3 straight olympics.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
When you name your Honda Takeshi. Eventually we'll trade Takeshi in for Marin Honda.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
when you (being a male) watch a youtube make up tutorial... because it's gabby daleman doing it.