You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 30 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you are hungry for skating content, so you plough your way through posts and articles in Russian.

(I learnt the basics many years ago, then forgot everything, and then gradually improved solely because of skating. I don't take any formal lessons, just plunge headfirst into the conent :p).

I speak some Spanish. Anything else I use Google translate on. Which can be very funny.

globalsoul

Rinkside
When you wake up in the middle of the night and realize you've been analyzing who Shoma's new coach should be in your dream.... several nights in a row... :dbana:

DenissVFan

Medalist
When you scroll through your inbox and read "Eteri is coming" instead of "Winter is coming"...

Astolat

On the Ice
Country
Poland
When you had a dream last night where Gabriella Papadakis, Guillaume Cizeron, Marie-France and Patrice just randomly stay overnight at your place. You are like "OK, so Marie-France and Patrice will take the double bed in the bedroom, and Gabby, Guillaume and I will crash on the big couch in the living room" :D And then I got nervous that they will be uncomfortable, and they should get a proper rest since they have a GP event tomorrow... :D

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you start humming ...baby remember my name... from Fame when checking the remember me box when logging in here at GS and instantly smile thinking of PC rhythm dance.:dance:

MintGreen

On the Ice
When your kids know that weekend family movie must come after mommy finishes catching up all the competitions of the week during skating season.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you go to Petsmart and find $5 unicorn stuffies and buy a bunch of them to throw to skaters and recall that some pair or ice dance team (can't remember which) got 2 unicorn stuffies and you're trying to remember who they were and if they would like these stuffies.

Piper & Paul got two unicorns!

MintGreen

On the Ice
When you ordered a double double hamburger at a restaurant, and you were like, "wait, was that a popped jump combo"?

Ducky

On the Ice
When you get annoyed because the clue in the crossword puzzle is "skating leap" and it's not long enough to be 'stag jump' or 'falling leaf' and there's already an 'e' so it's going to be 'axel'.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When you're late for work because you were watching a competition and you're not ashamed of it :biggrin:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When you catch someone who out of the corner of your eye looks exactly like Maia Shibutani and surreptitiously follow her to get a better look, only to find that not only is it not her, she looks nothing like her close up! :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When you catch someone who out of the corner of your eye looks exactly like Maia Shibutani and surreptitiously follow her to get a better look, only to find that not only is it not her, she looks nothing like her close up! :slink:

Funnily enough, something similar happened to me last week. I was at an outlet shopping complex, and went into the bookshop there, and I saw this guy and thought "he looks like John Laverty" (former motorbike racer, brother of current World Superbike racer Eugene and recently retired British Superbike racer turned TV pundit Michael). And every time I saw him, I became more convinced that it was John. But, I didn't want to make an eejit of myself in case it wasn't, so I didn't approach him. But, it was niggling away at me, so the next day I sent John a message asking if it was him, and he replied that it was. And he even commented on what I had been wearing!

Anyway, to get back on topic, I will also tell you what happened when I went into a card shop at that shopping complex. I saw a stand of Disney figurines. And there was a nice Winnie the Pooh figurine. And my instant thought was of you-know-who. And my second thought was:

"Oh, imagine if somebody threw that onto the ice during a Poohvalance. Depending on how strong it is, it could either do a lot of damage to the ice, or else shatter and require a lot of pieces to be found and gathered up!"

:eek:

CaroLiza_fan

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
When your sister-in-law calls your husband a "skating widower" because you're watching the Grand Prix Final on his birthday.
He knew I was a skating fan when he married me.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I learned about Leonhard Euler, a Swiss Mathematician the other day, but the first thing I thought of was the Euler jump (no relation to Leonhard lol)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I learned about Leonhard Euler, a Swiss Mathematician the other day, but the first thing I thought of was the Euler jump (no relation to Leonhard lol)

Haha, every time a commentator pronounces it "YOO-ler," I cringe so hard. I heard it over and over and over as "OY-ler" in differential equations and complex analysis and numerical analysis and every other math class (they still called the jump a half-loop back then). :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you're sitting waiting for a presentation and background music is playing and "Rocketman" comes on and you exclaim: "That's Nathan Chen's free skate music." Of course no one had any idea what I was talking about.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, every time a commentator pronounces it "YOO-ler," I cringe so hard. I heard it over and over and over as "OY-ler" in differential equations and complex analysis and numerical analysis and every other math class (they still called the jump a half-loop back then). :laugh:

Huh. I swear I've heard it pronounced OY-ler by commentators. The jump was a half loop like 2 years ago, so not THAT long. And the kind of math you're talking about scares me.