You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 24 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

figurefan0726

Final Flight
You point out all the edges during the lutzes and the flips. Curious, does the popped jumps also get edge calls?

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
You spend your free time on vacation clumsily typing in keywords to watch skating show clips on mobile ;) and avidly checking for news on Worlds tickets.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When you hear a beginner skater describe a move they want to learn and immediately recognize the vague description as one of your favorite's signature moves. Then you feel bad for the skater because it's definitely not a beginner move.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are reading the sports section of a local newspaper (Pennsylvania)
In Pennsylvania, the high school sports divisions are AA, AAA, and AAAA.

The headline reads “Mistake ruins chances for 4A repeat”.

And you think, wait when did someone do a 4A? :laugh: And since when does my local paper care? :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When someone on an online thread mentions Orange Yuzu Chicken... and you go hunting for a recipe :)

Even though you can't cook.

When you are madly envious of a complete stranger because they have tweeted the tote bag they made inspired by your skater's latest costume... and you WANT it.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Every time I hear an ad about country singer Brett Eldredge, I wonder if he's related to Todd! To my knowledge, he isn't.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
…when you are watching quiz show “Pointless” * and they have a question about music world tours. They give you the title of the tour, the initials of the band / artist, and the year the tour started, and you have to say who the band / artist was.

Here were the options:

Tour TitleBand / ArtistYear StartedScore
Blond Ambition World TourM199072
Where We Are TourOD201439
Taking Chances World TourCD200817
A Bigger Bang TourTRS200519
BadMJ198785

(To reveal the number of people who got the answer correct in the survey, just highlight the cell in the "Score" column).

I got the first, fourth and fifth answers straight away. But for the second and third answers, all I could think was “Original Dance” and “Compulsory Dance”

To be fair, if the list was in a different order, I would have been thinking “Compact Disc” for the third answer. But the fact that “OD” was directly above it meant that I just couldn’t think of anything else.

CaroLiza_fan

* = I don’t think “Pointless” has been sold overseas, so for those who are unfamiliar with it, it is similar to “Family Fortunes”. The difference is that the teams don’t necessarily have to be related; there are four teams rather than two; and they are looking for the lowest scoring answers given in the survey rather than the highest scoring answers.

Shedi0806

On the Ice
Haha, there was a deodorant scent called "Fragrant Yuzu" a while back. I did not buy it, waaaay too awkward to rub something that sounds like it's named after my favorite skater on my pits. :rofl:

The description is hilarious:

"Though the yuzu dates back to ancient China, its arrival in Japan during the 7th century made this exotic citrus famous. Known for being yellowish-orange and wrinkly, it's most commonly used in cooking to add a tart, tangy flavor.

Another use is a hot yuzu bath. Taken in winter to ward off sickness, yuzus float in the steaming water to release a soothing aroma. In ancient times, it was thought a yuzu bath would bring you wealth and good fortune. No matter what you believe, the yuzu is a multi-purpose citrus!"

It is fascinating, learning so much about Japanese cuisine!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Haha, yeah, I know about the yuzu baths. They wouldn't bring me wealth and good fortune, just guilt about the impure thoughts I'd be having about my favorite skater (even though the "zu" in the fruit is a different one from in "Yuzuru"). :eek::

My favorite perfume has some yuzu fragrance in it, though (along with many others). I don't wear it on my armpits, so no awkwardness there. :laugh:

And to keep this from being too off-topic:

You know you're a figure skating fan when you're somewhere you hate, but it's made at least marginally less unpleasant by the fact that one of the people who works there looks like Misha Ge.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You are listening to a Very Important Piece of Family News on the phone and get totally distracted because on the TV they flash up a promo with the words "ISU Skate Canada 7.30"!!! and all you can think is "What what what what? I'm not ready! They're not ready! No one's ready!!" and have no idea what you were just asked...

And say "mmm, yes" when you should have said "good god, no!"

(It was the 2018 SC on repeat, but for a minute there I thought I'd travelled in time or something...)

Shedi0806

On the Ice
I just saw this mail in my inbox for work today:

"Fruits will be delivered in two portions: once in the morning and once after lunch in the 0A, 0C, 1A, 1C, 2E, 3A, 3E, 4A, 4C, 5E kitchens."

I know they are talking about the new fruit day at the office, but my heart still started to beat faster when I saw "4A".

elegance

Words are my skates.
Rinkside
...when you know which 3A is being referenced in a given post. ;)

...when you have a visual impairment and attendant balance problems, but you want to learn to skate anyway.

...when you start dreaming about various coaches and skaters. (yikes!)

...when you order swimwear because it looks like a skating costume. (not quite a yikes, but perhaps close)

...when you're nodding along with many replies on this thread.

[ETA: I'm 46 years old with 2 left feet. It's doubtful that any instructor would take me on, but a girl can dream...]

Thank you for making all of this happen, Golden Skate! And thank you for making me welcome despite my newbie-ness. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

...when you have a visual impairment and attendant balance problems, but you want to learn to skate anyway.

...when you order swimwear because it looks like a skating costume. (not quite a yikes, but perhaps close)

Thank you for making all of this happen, Golden Skate! And thank you for making me welcome despite my newbie-ness. :)

Welcome Elegance, and I think we all understand your remarks; well said:thumbsup:

Post long and post often!

natsulian

Final Flight
You know you're a figure skating fan when you choreograph entire programs in your head to music on the radio.

You know you're a figure skating fan when you read abbreviations as jumps. I once saw "4A" on a box and I was like, "Why are they randomly plastering a quad axel?" Then I felt so stupid after realizing that it stood for an advertising agency.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Welcome, and oh yes, the fellow feeling here is so strong....