You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 11 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WOW - that may be the world record :rofl:

I fell in love with skating in 1976, but who couldn't? Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, Rodnina/Zietsev are, IMO, the greatest set of champions from one Games ever. Dance hadn't been introduced yet.

The argument was over the ladies event in 1980 - so I took a little artistic license when I said 40 years - but still.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When at the end of your life, after you've forgotten everything else, you are still complaining "Michelle was robbed!"

... This is probably going to be me in the nursing home.

See my recent reply to this thread on the 1980 judging travesty. Believe me, you'll never let it go,

You're wrong, of course. Michelle wasn't robbed. But people probably disagree with me that Linda was robbed. They're wrong, too.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you realize that all the classical music you know, you've heard either from old Loony Tunes cartoons or figure skating programs.

When you hear a piece of music that you've NEVER seen someone skate to, but you think "Oh, this would make a great program" and then you design one in your head.

When friends you have who don't follow the sport, but know you do, ask if you've seen "Ice Castles", "Blades of Glory", "The Cutting Edge" or "I, Tonya".

lesnar001

Record Breaker
When you realize that all the classical music you know, you've heard either from old Loony Tunes cartoons or figure skating programs.

When you hear a piece of music that you've NEVER seen someone skate to, but you think "Oh, this would make a great program" and then you design one in your head.

When friends you have who don't follow the sport, but know you do, ask if you've seen "Ice Castles", "Blades of Glory", "The Cutting Edge" or "I, Tonya".

That's where I got a lot of my exposure to classical music too!:laugh:

That and those record commercials for "popular" classical tunes.... "Perhaps you know this piece as Full Moon And Empty Arms"

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I fell in love with skating in 1976, but who couldn't? Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, Rodnina/Zietsev are, IMO, the greatest set of champions from one Games ever. Dance hadn't been introduced yet.

The argument was over the ladies event in 1980 - so I took a little artistic license when I said 40 years - but still.

Well it was so long ago - you just rounded it up a little!

I actually got hooked on skating when I first saw Dorothy Hamill on TV (probably Wide World of Sports) in 1974.

It was at a competition somewhere in Europe and the skater just before her got undermarked - and the crowd started whistling - which was their way of booing.

Well poor Dorothy thought the crowd was booing her - and she burst into tears. When the crowd realized what happened they started clapping for her.

She was a couple of years older than me and I had a major league crush on her (I still do).

I haven't followed as closely in all years - so the only thing I actually remember from 1980 was Robin Cousins winning the Gold Medal.

Since Dorothy won the Gold in 1976 - all was "good in the hood" :luv17:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
When you missed today's Soyuz MS-09 launch today due to reading this forum... :furious:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well it was so long ago - you just rounded it up a little!

I actually got hooked on skating when I first saw Dorothy Hamill on TV (probably Wide World of Sports) in 1974.

It was at a competition somewhere in Europe and the skater just before her got undermarked - and the crowd started whistling - which was their way of booing.

Well poor Dorothy thought the crowd was booing her - and she burst into tears. When the crowd realized what happened they started clapping for her.

She was a couple of years older than me and I had a major league crush on her (I still do).

I haven't followed as closely in all years - so the only thing I actually remember from 1980 was Robin Cousins winning the Gold Medal.

Since Dorothy won the Gold in 1976 - all was "good in the hood" :luv17:

I remember that incident; it was in Germany, I think.

1980 was a good Olympics with Robin Cousins winning. The American man in that Olympics was Charlie Tickner, and I've always like him, too. I was very USA-Centric in my budding fandom - to some degree I still am, and I am not ashamed of that. I'll always remember the Tai and Randy heartbreak, although in hindsight, they almost surely wouldn't have beaten R/Z.

I have to correct an error I made. Ice Dance made its debut as an Olympic sport in 1976 - I had earlier stated that it wasn't part of the program in Innsbruck. Soviet legends Pakhomova/Gorshkov won the title.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...on a lovely June morning, you sit down to watch one figure skating program but you end up watching ten (and counting).

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
When you teach your toddlers the names of figure skating moves and they recognise the skaters by name because you watch those programs so often. I guess I'm beginning to understand why my children don't like figure skating that much, now that they have grown up. Another reason being that Eurosport used to air full Europeans and Worlds. That meant around 4 hours of watching skating every single day of that Euros or Worlds.

I also used to look for figure skating articles in foreign newspapers, we didn't have internet back then. So every time I saw a skating picture or an article, I'd buy that paper or magazine just for that one picture or that one skating page. There was no figure skating magazine in the Netherlands. They did reserve 1-3 pages for figure skating regularly in a magazine dedicated to speed skating.

iorii

On the Ice
When you hum/sing program music--the ones without lyrics without you realize and your friend asks you what the heck you are singing.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When you're watching Rhythmic Gymnastics and they play a song a figure skater has performed to and you have to mention that fact out loud - even if you're by yourself. :laugh:

(I was watching the highlights on SBS on Saturday and the Russian team did a five hoop routine of a medley of songs including "Sex Bomb" and I cracked up laughing)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
...when World Cup in football starts in few days and I'm still re-watching FS videos, planning trip to Nepela in September:laugh::laugh:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When a cabaret performer mashes up Carmen's Habanera and My Heart Belongs to Daddy and you just about die laughing for reasons nobody else at your table understands...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you are eagerly awaiting for music announcements from your favourites.

...you are eagerly awaiting for music announcements from skaters that you don’t want to retire yet.

...you are eagerly awaiting for music announcements that are not warhorses.

gizmo

On the Ice
.....you hear a piece of music, you remember the skater and the programme first before its origin / original artist

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you are okay that your country often doesn't qualify for the World Cup, as long as they keep excelling in FS.