You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 5 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

temadd

Final Flight
When you're not a classical music or show tunes fan but you know all the war horses and start to like them (except Le Mis and POTO).

When you know what war horse refers to in FS

When you open your work youtube channel and the "suggested for you" videos are all FS

When your calendar is filled with every FS event so you don't plan anything else

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
When your favorite skater misses a competition and you're disappointed, not because they won't medal or win, but because you know it's one less time you'll get to see their programs that season

When you're excited for every single program outing from your favorites

When you start wondering right after Worlds what your favorites' programs for next season will be

When you know that Senior Bs and summer competitions exist and hunt online for any and all videos of such competitions (bless all those who take fancams and/or upload videos from the streams :thank:) Ditto on ice show fancams

When you have skaters' jump layouts memorized, if not their whole programs

When you cry during a skater's program and it's not even a clean program, because you're overwhelmed by how their skating makes you feel

When the official retirement of your favorites is a big deal to you, even when it was fully expected

When you eagerly read/watch any interviews with your favorites and continue to be deeply interested in them after they retire

Because you do the previous one, you glean life lessons from your favorite skaters' skating journeys and life journeys

When you refer to skaters by first name or last name only on GS, and so it's slightly annoying when you actually have to EXPLAIN who you're talking about to a non-hardcore fan

When you know the abbreviations for competitions and know what most of the things on protocols mean, even using such abbreviations yourself, plus knowing how to find the protocols online

When you're a member of GS in the first place

If anyone is interested in a similar thread from four years ago, here it is in the GS archives. :)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Literally today:

...you are driving and your ears perk up, as you hear the radio anchor report that two figure skaters will be training in Toronto next season. Then, you start cringing when the anchor telegraphs that he would be butchering the pronunciation of 'Evgenia Medvedeva', which he does so tentatively. You relax a little with the smooth mention of 'Brian Orser' and acknowledge that he pronounces 'Yuzuru Hanyu' better, albeit with some hesitation. You are still happily surprised that figure skating is mentioned on local radio in the off-season.

iorii

On the Ice
When you're watching Kingsman: The Golden Circle and Let's Go Crazy plays you dance on your seat because it's Yuzuru's SP ;)

zounger

Medalist
When the embarrassing moment happens, you open youtube to show something to friends, colleges, and all the recommended videos are FS related. But when they leave you are left with a smile on your face.

Alifyre

On the Ice
When you put your phone on shuffle and four different skating songs come on in a row....

When you have to explain to your friends why you are getting up at 3am to watch the Japanese national figure skating championships when you have an exam that same day

When your youtube recommendations are ALL figure skating videos

When half the art you've drawn in the last year has been skating fan art

When this forum is one of your top visited websites :laugh:

When you make non-skating fans watch your favorite programs because they obviously need to witness athletic and artistic greatness

When you're sitting on the couch getting visibly emotional about something on screen and your roommates immediately know you're watching skating

When you accidentally call skaters by one name or nicknames to casual fans (Zhenya, Javi, Yuzu, Wakababy, etc)

You can recognize all the Japanese skaters names by their kanji

When you cry over skaters successes because you're just so proud of them

charmblade

Final Flight
...when you didn't get to watch the competition and don't know the results but want to watch it "live." So you cover your eyes and only peak through your fingers while intentionally blurring your vision as you bring up the Ice Network page to search for the link. It takes you to the videos page and you block the left side of the screen with your hand b/c you know they usually have a picture of whoever came in first on the video link. You click the link, and cover your eyes again until you can maximize the screen b/c you don't want to see the link to the awards ceremony video b/c they always have a pic of the podium and you'll know who won...I have done this SO many times!:laugh2:

Omg, that is exactly what I usually do! I thought I was being crazy but this makes me feel so much better!! (Here's hoping the new NBC Gold app thingy will be easier to stay spoiler-free and will post the archived vids faster!)

Neenah16

On the Ice
When you pay a fortune to travel to country you have never visited before, only to spend the whole time you are there inside the arena for an FS competition.

Bonus fan points if you spent hours afterwards trying to explain to your family that unless the apocalypse happens tomorrow, the city attractions will still be there later but the competitions won't (true story) :biggrin:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
...when 6 out of 8 bookmarks on your bookmarks bar in your browser are figure skating related.

https://imgur.com/jqtVCek - this is my actual bookmarks bar. Twitter is for my blog account as is the Blogger one :biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
You know you're a figure skating fan when:

You look longingly at your favorite figure skates sitting in your closet like old friends waiting for you...
You check out skaters videos on youtube who competed when you were a skater - Karen Magnusson for example, or skaters even before that time, Sonja Henie...
You read your old skating manual and review jumps, spins and ice dance steps you used to do...
You drive by a skating rink and wish you could go in and take a turn around the rink...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When you're not a classical music or show tunes fan but you know all the war horses and start to like them (except Le Mis and POTO).
... and even more, when you DO like Le Mis and POTO simply because of the images that always always start up in your mind when you hear them.

Fluffice

Rinkside
- When you hear a song on radio and you associate it with an competition/exhibition/show program and start recalling the choreography

- When you google obscure figure skating shows that have stopped airing and watch them (Thin Ice/Battle of the Blades anyone? Also taking suggestions lol)

- When you rewatch the performances of your faves and your own show fancams repeatedly to starve off the offseason depression

- When you practice jumps and imagining that they're Olympic level when in reality you can't even do two rotations and they're ugly

k2summit

Rinkside
Country
United-States
When you say “Hey Eteri” instead of “ Hey Siri” into your iPhone (works for me [emoji44]).

Sam L

Medalist
When you plan your vacation around figure skating competition dates and locations.

Canada 2020!!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... when hundreds of your Youtube "favorites" are fs performances (most of them, actually).
... when you tune in to other channels for other sports/events just to hear/see Terry Gannon speak (the Golf Channel, the Rose Parade - one year I was in the kitchen on New Year's Day when I heard ABC's fs music theme. I rushed into the living room, thrilled to hear/see Terry doing commentary for the Rose Parade that year).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you have an episode of The Chase on the TV over tea time, and you are only half listening. And then you hear the name "Vera Wang" and your ears prick up and you think "oooh, figure skating question", but you get disappointed when the question turns out to be about fashion.

And for that matter, when you only know Vera as a figure skater, and everybody else only knows her as a fashion designer (I only found out about her fashion work in the past year! :drama: )

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
...when music played randomly in radio or in my phone is immediately associated with FS programs or programs I'd love to see from skaters

...when watching fashion shows or galas I think about FS costumes and colours that would suit particular skaters/programs

...when I cannot shut up after being asked at work about FS

...when my YT is all about FS videos suggestions

...when I take great pride in showing off my favourite performances to those who are not into FS, but want to know it

...when watching FS, some of my favourite performances, can lift me from sadness in 4 mins

:)

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
When you are watching a world championship or GP on 4 different devices (cellphone, tv and 2 laptops); just so you can catch up on what the fans on GS are saying about the competition and have a back-up device just in case one of the 4 you have shuts down on you!:palmf:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
When you are watching a world championship or GP on 4 different devices (cellphone, tv and 2 laptops); just so you can catch up on what the fans on GS are saying about the competition and have a back-up device just in case one of the 4 you have shuts down on you!:palmf:

Me during Olympics - watching on the phone and posting on GS on laptop, lush times in February while watching from 2am to 5-6am for 2 weeks:laugh: