You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 21 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have returned from Walmart and my plushie game is strong. These guys almost take up their own seat in the car. For quantity I go for Beanie Babies from the thrift store for $1. What I have found with US Senior Nationals is that almost everyone, if not everyone, brings along their own cheering section who throws them things. For instance Andrew Austin, who placed last at US Nationals, got tons of stuff (including my last plushie! I love him!). The juniors sometimes don't get as much but again their families are usually there. I am glad your daughter is so compassionate:) I'm sure she will find someone to throw her stuff to (especially juniors).

Oh, how nice that you mentioned Andrew Austin! What a nice fellow! We got to meet him in the concourse after the men's final (along with Tim Dolensky :love: & THE Rabbitt :biggrin: & his parents)! We are impressed that he is a first season senior (making the jump from Intermediate level)! We're hoping that he will consider competing in the Philadelphia International Summer Competition this summer (he said it depends on his coach's decision).

Henni147

Final Flight
You're a figure skating fan, when...

... your favorite comedy show is the ISU summer webinar.
... you're still lamenting over Judge 4 days and weeks after the competition.
... you get pissed, because someone dared to claim that your fav has no artistry.
... you download every single skating video from YT, before SBS deletes it.
... you retweet every skating related post from Olympic Channel.
... you get furious, because the 6 min warm-up's interrupted by 5 min ads.
... you calculate the score of 30 different program layouts and realize that even 6 quads can't secure the victory of your fav.
... you try to walk on the outside edge of your sneakers.
... you draw step sequence patterns during your chemistry lecture.
... you predict all jump elements by their entries in realtime and scream, because the 3S was wrong again.
... you turn off the sound of your livestream after the fifth Carmen in a row.
... you naively search for figure skating magazines in your regional bookstore, but only find soccer news and fitness tipps.
... you try a camel position in front of your mirror and demolish the flower vase behind you.
... you have an emotional outburst at 02:38 am after a clean free of your fav and your neighbors wish you to hell.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have returned from Walmart and my plushie game is strong. … What I have found with US Senior Nationals is that almost everyone, if not everyone, brings along their own cheering section who throws them things. For instance Andrew Austin, who placed last at US Nationals, got tons of stuff (including my last plushie! I love him!). ...

moonvine, I applaud you for your systematic efforts to support everyone. :cool:

Will just mention that I do not think that Andrew -- who originally is from Detroit -- is a typical example of "almost everyone" at Senior Nats "bringing along their own cheering section …"
I am not so sure that things work out as serendipitously for everyone.

I had the pleasure of chatting with Andrew and Quentin [ETA (on Feb 27), correction: Quinton] throughout the week. One of the ways in which the stars happily aligned for Andrew was that he happened to qualify for Nats when it was taking place in Detroit. He had the benefit of some built-in local interest. (Although he goes to school in Boulder, and Quentin [ETA: sorry again, Quinton] coaches in the Chicago area.)

Please don't get me wrong. I found their story inspiring, and I was excited for them that the crowd gave Andrew plenty of love.

illusionspin

Rinkside
... your sleeping schedule is effed up because of skating
... you categorise music in regards to how skateable it is
... you feel like a pro skater in practice when you wear leggings and a bun
... you have more skating clothes than office clothes

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you're obsessing over what time Walmart puts the Valentine's Day stuff on clearance (is it 12:01 am 2/15, or later in the morning?) so you can go buy GIANT plushies for Alexa and Gracie.

Ok moonvine. I got quite a haul by just going to one Wal Mart early this morning. 2 big monkeys, 1 big lady bug, and 4 smaller animals (a giraffe, a frog, 2 bears). They also had these cool sparkly roses that were 25 cents each. They'd definitely have to be well-wrapped to throw them on the ice, but they're kinda cool! :party2: Didn't have time to hit the other Wal Marts yet, but I hope to go before things get too picked over. Looks like I'm all set for Sk Amer 2019!

Adding -- Another store had a HUGE pink flamingo for only $10. Alas, too big for the suitcase! :sad4:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, how nice that you mentioned Andrew Austin! What a nice fellow! We got to meet him in the concourse after the men's final (along with Tim Dolensky :love: & THE Rabbitt :biggrin: & his parents)! We are impressed that he is a first season senior (making the jump from Intermediate level)! We're hoping that he will consider competing in the Philadelphia International Summer Competition this summer (he said it depends on his coach's decision).

I loved him! OMGosh, it would be cool if he was at Philadelphia. I will be there to watch and to take a lesson from Gracie. Rice and beans, rice and beans, rice and beans.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
moonvine, I applaud you for your systematic efforts to support everyone. :cool:

Will just mention that I do not think that Andrew -- who originally is from Detroit -- is a typical example of "almost everyone" at Senior Nats "bringing along their own cheering section …"
I am not so sure that things work out as serendipitously for everyone.

I had the pleasure of chatting with Andrew and Quentin throughout the week. One of the ways in which the stars happily aligned for Andrew was that he happened to qualify for Nats when it was taking place in Detroit. He had the benefit of some built-in local interest. (Although he goes to school in Boulder, and Quentin coaches in the Chicago area.)

Please don't get me wrong. I found their story inspiring, and I was excited for them that the crowd gave Andrew plenty of love.

I actually wanted to write every one a thank you note. I even got black ones so there is no way they could be missed on the ice. And special gold sharpies. However, I got up late and missed my train and they are still here. Maybe next year.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
When you accompany your sister to Ikea to help her select a bookcase, but see some cool pandas there and keep thinking they how ideal they would be for the ice. So, by the end of the shopping, you have somehow convinced yourself and your zero-interest-in-fs sister that a 9-hour drive to Zagreb for Junior Worlds is a great idea :)

A year ago I had no interest in figure skating, but here I am, making reservations for my first live event. It all somehow gradually crept in my life - first an occasional competition on TV, then rewatching mesmerizing videos on youtube, then reading news and registering in this forum, and now buying plushies and sending choreographers my ideas for the music :) But at least I am keeping the mania to ladies only, because it takes too much time as it is.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So jealous! That was SO cute!!!!!!

I got one giant pink flamingo, one giant koala, one giant dog (think that will go to Alexa). Now my finances must take a break while I save to go to Aston and watch that competition and take a lesson from Gracie. I'm told you can't throw stuff in Aston because the hockey walls are up, but they don't go all the way up to the ceiling, do they?

- - - Updated - - -

A year ago I had no interest in figure skating, but here I am, making reservations for my first live event. It all somehow gradually crept in my life - first an occasional competition on TV, then rewatching mesmerizing videos on youtube, then reading news and registering in this forum, and now buying plushies and sending choreographers my ideas for the music :) But at least I am keeping the mania to ladies only, because it takes too much time as it is.

You will love it! Soon you'll be on the dark side and watching and obsessing over all events!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got one giant pink flamingo, one giant koala, one giant dog (think that will go to Alexa). Now my finances must take a break while I save to go to Aston and watch that competition and take a lesson from Gracie. I'm told you can't throw stuff in Aston because the hockey walls are up, but they don't go all the way up to the ceiling, do they?

!

The IceWorks main rink is surrounded with hockey glass, and since seating is about seven rows of benches, it’s not the easiest to throw gifts over. But unless they’ve redesigned the rink or where the skaters prep for the comp (I was there in 2017 but not last year), you can just track down a skater and give them the plushy. I cannot tell you the number of skaters I just walked past in the hallway, truly, I gave up counting. It is very informal and very cozy;)

And I will see you there this summer. Bring sweatshirts and jackets:biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The IceWorks main rink is surrounded with hockey glass, and since seating is about seven rows of benches, it’s not the easiest to throw gifts over. But unless they’ve redesigned the rink or where the skaters prep for the comp (I was there in 2017 but not last year), you can just track down a skater and give them the plushy. I cannot tell you the number of skaters I just walked past in the hallway, truly, I gave up counting. It is very informal and very cozy;)

And I will see you there this summer. Bring sweatshirts and jackets:biggrin:

Very excited! Now if I just knew if Gracie would prefer a koala bear or a pink flamingo. (I know she may not compete; if she doesn't I'll give it to her for teaching me the best dang snowplow stop that's ever been taught.)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Come to Ice Works! Yes, it would be fantastic if Andrew competes there, but even if he isn't there, come for the other skaters, the camaraderie, and meeting up with your fellow GSers! Your enthusiasm is infectious!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you update your Fan Fest Family Tree post and discover that you have adopted a grand total of 36 skaters!!! :shocked: :jaw:

That's about 10 more than I thought I had adopted! :drama:

Although, to be fair, that's the sort of thing that can happen when you start adopting partnerships as well as Singles Skaters. You can lose count easily! :p

CaroLiza_fan

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...one year ago today, you stopped lurking on GS to show your appreciation after your favourites, who made you a fan of the sport, won their second individual Olympic Gold (and third OGM) and became the G.O.A.T.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
When you're watching old videos of your favorite figure skaters premiere rival at the time and realizing that she was actually a very exciting skater. Irina Slutskaya, I apologize for being blinded by love and loyalty to Michelle Kwan. You were and are truly one of the greats. God, I love this sport.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When you read "ur" not as "your" or "you're" but as "underrotation" :p

Urgh! That is a pet hate of mine, people writing "ur" for "your" or "you're". Although, I admit that I don't read it as "underrotation".

When you still use 1Lo, and not 1Eu.

:confused:

But an Euler is a half-loop, not a single-loop.

At least, that is what I picked up from listening to the British Eurosport guys, who like you are struggling to get used to the new terminology. They still keep calling it a half-loop, and then have to correct themselves and say it's an Euler.

If the ISU wanted to pay credit to the person that invented the jump, they should have done so from the start, like they did with the Axel and the Salchow. Not wait until now, when the more technical name is in common use.

CaroLiza_fan