Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Results 401 to 415 of 415

Thread: You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

  1. #401
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaPat View Post
    I guess I'm not nearly as devoted a fan as you guys.

    I bought some of my plushies for next year's Skate Canada BEFORE Christmas, and the rest half-price on Dec 27. But on Dec 27 I did snap up all of the not-too-christmasy ones in the store.

    I'm going for quantity rather than size; my daughter was quite concerned that some of the Junior skaters at the GPF didn't have any gifts. She aims to remedy that for the lesser-known skaters at Skate Canada.
    I have returned from Walmart and my plushie game is strong. These guys almost take up their own seat in the car. For quantity I go for Beanie Babies from the thrift store for $1. What I have found with US Senior Nationals is that almost everyone, if not everyone, brings along their own cheering section who throws them things. For instance Andrew Austin, who placed last at US Nationals, got tons of stuff (including my last plushie! I love him!). The juniors sometimes don't get as much but again their families are usually there. I am glad your daughter is so compassionate I'm sure she will find someone to throw her stuff to (especially juniors).

  2. #402
    Bona Fide Member iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,735
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    I have returned from Walmart and my plushie game is strong. These guys almost take up their own seat in the car. For quantity I go for Beanie Babies from the thrift store for $1. What I have found with US Senior Nationals is that almost everyone, if not everyone, brings along their own cheering section who throws them things. For instance Andrew Austin, who placed last at US Nationals, got tons of stuff (including my last plushie! I love him!). The juniors sometimes don't get as much but again their families are usually there. I am glad your daughter is so compassionate I'm sure she will find someone to throw her stuff to (especially juniors).
    Oh, how nice that you mentioned Andrew Austin! What a nice fellow! We got to meet him in the concourse after the men's final (along with Tim Dolensky & THE Rabbitt & his parents)! We are impressed that he is a first season senior (making the jump from Intermediate level)! We're hoping that he will consider competing in the Philadelphia International Summer Competition this summer (he said it depends on his coach's decision).

  3. #403
    Tripping on the Podium Henni147's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    545
    Country: Germany

    7 Not allowed!
    You're a figure skating fan, when...

    ... your favorite comedy show is the ISU summer webinar.
    ... you're still lamenting over Judge 4 days and weeks after the competition.
    ... you get pissed, because someone dared to claim that your fav has no artistry.
    ... you download every single skating video from YT, before SBS deletes it.
    ... you retweet every skating related post from Olympic Channel.
    ... you get furious, because the 6 min warm-up's interrupted by 5 min ads.
    ... you calculate the score of 30 different program layouts and realize that even 6 quads can't secure the victory of your fav.
    ... you try to walk on the outside edge of your sneakers.
    ... you draw step sequence patterns during your chemistry lecture.
    ... you predict all jump elements by their entries in realtime and scream, because the 3S was wrong again.
    ... you turn off the sound of your livestream after the fifth Carmen in a row.
    ... you naively search for figure skating magazines in your regional bookstore, but only find soccer news and fitness tipps.
    ... you try a camel position in front of your mirror and demolish the flower vase behind you.
    ... you have an emotional outburst at 02:38 am after a clean free of your fav and your neighbors wish you to hell.

  4. #404
    avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13,709
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    I have returned from Walmart and my plushie game is strong. … What I have found with US Senior Nationals is that almost everyone, if not everyone, brings along their own cheering section who throws them things. For instance Andrew Austin, who placed last at US Nationals, got tons of stuff (including my last plushie! I love him!). ...
    moonvine, I applaud you for your systematic efforts to support everyone.

    Will just mention that I do not think that Andrew -- who originally is from Detroit -- is a typical example of "almost everyone" at Senior Nats "bringing along their own cheering section …"
    I am not so sure that things work out as serendipitously for everyone.

    I had the pleasure of chatting with Andrew and Quentin throughout the week. One of the ways in which the stars happily aligned for Andrew was that he happened to qualify for Nats when it was taking place in Detroit. He had the benefit of some built-in local interest. (Although he goes to school in Boulder, and Quentin coaches in the Chicago area.)

    Please don't get me wrong. I found their story inspiring, and I was excited for them that the crowd gave Andrew plenty of love.

  5. #405
    Spectator
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    9
    Country: United Kingdom

    3 Not allowed!
    ... your sleeping schedule is effed up because of skating
    ... you categorise music in regards to how skateable it is
    ... you feel like a pro skater in practice when you wear leggings and a bun
    ... you have more skating clothes than office clothes

  6. #406
    MOONLIGHT SHOMATA Arriba627's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,153
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    When you're obsessing over what time Walmart puts the Valentine's Day stuff on clearance (is it 12:01 am 2/15, or later in the morning?) so you can go buy GIANT plushies for Alexa and Gracie.
    Ok moonvine. I got quite a haul by just going to one Wal Mart early this morning. 2 big monkeys, 1 big lady bug, and 4 smaller animals (a giraffe, a frog, 2 bears). They also had these cool sparkly roses that were 25 cents each. They'd definitely have to be well-wrapped to throw them on the ice, but they're kinda cool! Didn't have time to hit the other Wal Marts yet, but I hope to go before things get too picked over. Looks like I'm all set for Sk Amer 2019!

    Adding -- Another store had a HUGE pink flamingo for only $10. Alas, too big for the suitcase!

  7. #407
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arriba627 View Post

    Adding -- Another store had a HUGE pink flamingo for only $10. Alas, too big for the suitcase!
    I GOT THE PINK FLAMINGO! I am DRIVING to Nationals next year!!!!

  8. #408
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Oh, how nice that you mentioned Andrew Austin! What a nice fellow! We got to meet him in the concourse after the men's final (along with Tim Dolensky & THE Rabbitt & his parents)! We are impressed that he is a first season senior (making the jump from Intermediate level)! We're hoping that he will consider competing in the Philadelphia International Summer Competition this summer (he said it depends on his coach's decision).
    I loved him! OMGosh, it would be cool if he was at Philadelphia. I will be there to watch and to take a lesson from Gracie. Rice and beans, rice and beans, rice and beans.

  9. #409
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ice coverage View Post
    moonvine, I applaud you for your systematic efforts to support everyone.

    Will just mention that I do not think that Andrew -- who originally is from Detroit -- is a typical example of "almost everyone" at Senior Nats "bringing along their own cheering section …"
    I am not so sure that things work out as serendipitously for everyone.

    I had the pleasure of chatting with Andrew and Quentin throughout the week. One of the ways in which the stars happily aligned for Andrew was that he happened to qualify for Nats when it was taking place in Detroit. He had the benefit of some built-in local interest. (Although he goes to school in Boulder, and Quentin coaches in the Chicago area.)

    Please don't get me wrong. I found their story inspiring, and I was excited for them that the crowd gave Andrew plenty of love.
    I actually wanted to write every one a thank you note. I even got black ones so there is no way they could be missed on the ice. And special gold sharpies. However, I got up late and missed my train and they are still here. Maybe next year.

  10. #410
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    36

    5 Not allowed!
    When you accompany your sister to Ikea to help her select a bookcase, but see some cool pandas there and keep thinking they how ideal they would be for the ice. So, by the end of the shopping, you have somehow convinced yourself and your zero-interest-in-fs sister that a 9-hour drive to Zagreb for Junior Worlds is a great idea :-)

    A year ago I had no interest in figure skating, but here I am, making reservations for my first live event. It all somehow gradually crept in my life - first an occasional competition on TV, then rewatching mesmerizing videos on youtube, then reading news and registering in this forum, and now buying plushies and sending choreographers my ideas for the music :-) But at least I am keeping the mania to ladies only, because it takes too much time as it is.

  11. #411
    MOONLIGHT SHOMATA Arriba627's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,153
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    I GOT THE PINK FLAMINGO! I am DRIVING to Nationals next year!!!!
    So jealous! That was SO cute!!!!!!

  12. #412
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arriba627 View Post
    So jealous! That was SO cute!!!!!!
    I got one giant pink flamingo, one giant koala, one giant dog (think that will go to Alexa). Now my finances must take a break while I save to go to Aston and watch that competition and take a lesson from Gracie. I'm told you can't throw stuff in Aston because the hockey walls are up, but they don't go all the way up to the ceiling, do they?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post

    A year ago I had no interest in figure skating, but here I am, making reservations for my first live event. It all somehow gradually crept in my life - first an occasional competition on TV, then rewatching mesmerizing videos on youtube, then reading news and registering in this forum, and now buying plushies and sending choreographers my ideas for the music :-) But at least I am keeping the mania to ladies only, because it takes too much time as it is.
    You will love it! Soon you'll be on the dark side and watching and obsessing over all events!

  13. #413
    GS Supporter el henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6,632
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
    I got one giant pink flamingo, one giant koala, one giant dog (think that will go to Alexa). Now my finances must take a break while I save to go to Aston and watch that competition and take a lesson from Gracie. I'm told you can't throw stuff in Aston because the hockey walls are up, but they don't go all the way up to the ceiling, do they?

    ....


    !
    The IceWorks main rink is surrounded with hockey glass, and since seating is about seven rows of benches, it’s not the easiest to throw gifts over. But unless they’ve redesigned the rink or where the skaters prep for the comp (I was there in 2017 but not last year), you can just track down a skater and give them the plushy. I cannot tell you the number of skaters I just walked past in the hallway, truly, I gave up counting. It is very informal and very cozy

    And I will see you there this summer. Bring sweatshirts and jackets

  14. #414
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    The IceWorks main rink is surrounded with hockey glass, and since seating is about seven rows of benches, it’s not the easiest to throw gifts over. But unless they’ve redesigned the rink or where the skaters prep for the comp (I was there in 2017 but not last year), you can just track down a skater and give them the plushy. I cannot tell you the number of skaters I just walked past in the hallway, truly, I gave up counting. It is very informal and very cozy

    And I will see you there this summer. Bring sweatshirts and jackets
    Very excited! Now if I just knew if Gracie would prefer a koala bear or a pink flamingo. (I know she may not compete; if she doesn't I'll give it to her for teaching me the best dang snowplow stop that's ever been taught.)

  15. #415
    Bona Fide Member iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,735
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Come to Ice Works! Yes, it would be fantastic if Andrew competes there, but even if he isn't there, come for the other skaters, the camaraderie, and meeting up with your fellow GSers! Your enthusiasm is infectious!

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •