Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 600

Thread: You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

  1. #201
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,015
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lesnar001 View Post
    WOW - that may be the world record
    I fell in love with skating in 1976, but who couldn't? Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, Rodnina/Zietsev are, IMO, the greatest set of champions from one Games ever. Dance hadn't been introduced yet.

    The argument was over the ladies event in 1980 - so I took a little artistic license when I said 40 years - but still.

  2. #202
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,015
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    When at the end of your life, after you've forgotten everything else, you are still complaining "Michelle was robbed!"

    ... This is probably going to be me in the nursing home.
    See my recent reply to this thread on the 1980 judging travesty. Believe me, you'll never let it go,

    You're wrong, of course. Michelle wasn't robbed. But people probably disagree with me that Linda was robbed. They're wrong, too.


  3. #203
    Tripping on the Podium CellarDweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    922
    Country: United States of America

    5 Not allowed!
    When you realize that all the classical music you know, you've heard either from old Loony Tunes cartoons or figure skating programs.

    When you hear a piece of music that you've NEVER seen someone skate to, but you think "Oh, this would make a great program" and then you design one in your head.

    When friends you have who don't follow the sport, but know you do, ask if you've seen "Ice Castles", "Blades of Glory", "The Cutting Edge" or "I, Tonya".

  4. #204
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,966

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    When you realize that all the classical music you know, you've heard either from old Loony Tunes cartoons or figure skating programs.

    When you hear a piece of music that you've NEVER seen someone skate to, but you think "Oh, this would make a great program" and then you design one in your head.

    When friends you have who don't follow the sport, but know you do, ask if you've seen "Ice Castles", "Blades of Glory", "The Cutting Edge" or "I, Tonya".
    That's where I got a lot of my exposure to classical music too!

    That and those record commercials for "popular" classical tunes.... "Perhaps you know this piece as Full Moon And Empty Arms"

  5. #205
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,966

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I fell in love with skating in 1976, but who couldn't? Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, Rodnina/Zietsev are, IMO, the greatest set of champions from one Games ever. Dance hadn't been introduced yet.

    The argument was over the ladies event in 1980 - so I took a little artistic license when I said 40 years - but still.
    Well it was so long ago - you just rounded it up a little!

    I actually got hooked on skating when I first saw Dorothy Hamill on TV (probably Wide World of Sports) in 1974.

    It was at a competition somewhere in Europe and the skater just before her got undermarked - and the crowd started whistling - which was their way of booing.

    Well poor Dorothy thought the crowd was booing her - and she burst into tears. When the crowd realized what happened they started clapping for her.

    She was a couple of years older than me and I had a major league crush on her (I still do).

    I haven't followed as closely in all years - so the only thing I actually remember from 1980 was Robin Cousins winning the Gold Medal.

    Since Dorothy won the Gold in 1976 - all was "good in the hood"

  6. #206
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,785

    5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neenah16 View Post
    While arguing with other fans online about every proposal (just like when you watch a competition and argue about calls and scores)
    And get depressed because representatives find USB sticks complicated.

  7. #207
    GS Supporter flanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    5,405
    Country: Czech Republic

    0 Not allowed!
    When you missed today's Soyuz MS-09 launch today due to reading this forum...

  8. #208
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,015
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lesnar001 View Post
    Well it was so long ago - you just rounded it up a little!

    I actually got hooked on skating when I first saw Dorothy Hamill on TV (probably Wide World of Sports) in 1974.

    It was at a competition somewhere in Europe and the skater just before her got undermarked - and the crowd started whistling - which was their way of booing.

    Well poor Dorothy thought the crowd was booing her - and she burst into tears. When the crowd realized what happened they started clapping for her.

    She was a couple of years older than me and I had a major league crush on her (I still do).

    I haven't followed as closely in all years - so the only thing I actually remember from 1980 was Robin Cousins winning the Gold Medal.

    Since Dorothy won the Gold in 1976 - all was "good in the hood"
    I remember that incident; it was in Germany, I think.

    1980 was a good Olympics with Robin Cousins winning. The American man in that Olympics was Charlie Tickner, and I've always like him, too. I was very USA-Centric in my budding fandom - to some degree I still am, and I am not ashamed of that. I'll always remember the Tai and Randy heartbreak, although in hindsight, they almost surely wouldn't have beaten R/Z.

    I have to correct an error I made. Ice Dance made its debut as an Olympic sport in 1976 - I had earlier stated that it wasn't part of the program in Innsbruck. Soviet legends Pakhomova/Gorshkov won the title.

  9. #209
    You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,443
    Country: Canada

    5 Not allowed!
    ...on a lovely June morning, you sit down to watch one figure skating program but you end up watching ten (and counting).

  10. #210
    Bona Fide Member yoloaxel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,979

    6 Not allowed!
    You choreograph programs in your head whenever you hear a music you like

  11. #211
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    85
    Country: Netherlands

    7 Not allowed!
    When you teach your toddlers the names of figure skating moves and they recognise the skaters by name because you watch those programs so often. I guess I'm beginning to understand why my children don't like figure skating that much, now that they have grown up. Another reason being that Eurosport used to air full Europeans and Worlds. That meant around 4 hours of watching skating every single day of that Euros or Worlds.

    I also used to look for figure skating articles in foreign newspapers, we didn't have internet back then. So every time I saw a skating picture or an article, I'd buy that paper or magazine just for that one picture or that one skating page. There was no figure skating magazine in the Netherlands. They did reserve 1-3 pages for figure skating regularly in a magazine dedicated to speed skating.

  12. #212
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,340
    Country: Greece

    5 Not allowed!
    When you get figure skating related deja vu, even with comments on GS

  13. #213
    On the Ice iorii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    472

    6 Not allowed!
    When you hum/sing program music--the ones without lyrics without you realize and your friend asks you what the heck you are singing.

  14. #214
    Making rhinestone vest and tie combos cool anonymoose_au's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7,918
    Country: Australia

    4 Not allowed!
    When you're watching Rhythmic Gymnastics and they play a song a figure skater has performed to and you have to mention that fact out loud - even if you're by yourself.

    (I was watching the highlights on SBS on Saturday and the Russian team did a five hoop routine of a medley of songs including "Sex Bomb" and I cracked up laughing)

  15. #215
    GS given name - Beatrice
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,559
    Country: Poland

    7 Not allowed!
    ...when World Cup in football starts in few days and I'm still re-watching FS videos, planning trip to Nepela in September

  16. #216
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,046
    Country: Australia

    3 Not allowed!
    When a cabaret performer mashes up Carmen's Habanera and My Heart Belongs to Daddy and you just about die laughing for reasons nobody else at your table understands...

  17. #217
    You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,443
    Country: Canada

    3 Not allowed!
    ...you are eagerly awaiting for music announcements from your favourites.

    ...you are eagerly awaiting for music announcements from skaters that you don’t want to retire yet.

    ...you are eagerly awaiting for music announcements that are not warhorses.

  18. #218
    On the Ice gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    117

    5 Not allowed!
    .....you hear a piece of music, you remember the skater and the programme first before its origin / original artist

  19. #219
    You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,443
    Country: Canada

    6 Not allowed!
    ...you are okay that your country often doesn't qualify for the World Cup, as long as they keep excelling in FS.

  20. #220
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,799

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillNeal View Post
    ...you are okay that your country often doesn't qualify for the World Cup, as long as they keep excelling in FS.
    i think we live in the same country

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •