You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 16 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

Azikin

Medalist
... when you seriously consider cancelling your long planned evening with friends this Saturday because there are 3(!) interesting competitions going on at the same time... I really don't know what I should do... :sad46:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
... when you seriously consider cancelling your long planned evening with friends this Saturday because there are 3(!) interesting competitions going on at the same time... I really don't know what I should do... :sad46:

Just keep in mind that you have to pay for the Finlandia livestream - it costs €12.99.

So, if you don't want to pay for coverage that is free for every other competition, this would actually be a good week to go out with your friends. You could enjoy yourself with your friends on Saturday, and then catch up on the Free Dance from the Ljubljana Cup through the archived livestream / individiual programme videos on the JGP Channel. And who knows, videos from Espoo might appear on YouTube as well.

CaroLiza_fan

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

...you consider changing your plan to involve hosting a figure skating viewing party. You consider making it a potluck to minimize the amount of food preparation required, so that you can spend more time watching FS on the day of. If they are not FS fans, there's your chance to rope them in. :biggrin:

Azikin

Medalist
Just keep in mind that you have to pay for the Finlandia livestream - it costs €12.99.

So, if you don't want to pay for coverage that is free for every other competition, this would actually be a good week to go out with your friends. You could enjoy yourself with your friends on Saturday, and then catch up on the Free Dance from the Ljubljana Cup through the archived livestream / individiual programme videos on the JGP Channel. And who knows, videos from Espoo might appear on YouTube as well.

CaroLiza_fan

Actually I'm not that eager to watch Finlandia, the event I don't want to miss most is the 2nd Event of Russian Cup, jr and sr ladies FS.. ;)

But never mind, I'm going... oh and a "figure skating viewing party" is really out of the question, BTW.. I cannot imagine them watching figure skating.. :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Actually I'm not that eager to watch Finlandia, the event I don't want to miss most is the 2nd Event of Russian Cup, jr and sr ladies FS.. ;)

But never mind, I'm going... oh and a "figure skating viewing party" is really out of the question, BTW.. I cannot imagine them watching figure skating.. :laugh:

Ah. I didn't realise that the Russian Cup was in action too (my fault for looking at the ISU Calendar). And I didn't realise that they got livestreamed. :shocked: :biggrin:

I think this has just changed my plans for the next few days... ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You buy a second monitor so you can watch 3 streams at once

Or

You have one program streamed on the t.v. and one on your kindle. And your second kindle is on golden skate to keep up with the posts. I'm exhausted. :dbana:

DenissVFan

Medalist
Or

You have one program streamed on the t.v. and one on your kindle. And your second kindle is on golden skate to keep up with the posts. I'm exhausted. :dbana:

I was confused as to how you can watch a stream on an e-book reader but then I remembered there are also some non-black&white Kindles 😅

mrrice

Record Breaker
I knew I was figure skating fan when I missed Ice Dancing at Skate America in 91' to watch Tonya Harding drink coffee when I was with Coca Cola. I was obsessed. Same thing with Plushy and Maria Butyrskaya. I would miss other skaters to follow them back stage.

Fluture

Record Breaker

When‘s the Russian Cup scheduled and where can you watch the live stream? Thanks in advance. I’m just preparing for a figure skating filled weekend. :biggrin:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you are counting down the days until the start of the Grand Prix series (when the real :drama: begins...).

Shedi0806

On the Ice
When you see GOE in a completely different context but you immediataly associate with it Grade of Execution.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't do this one myself, but it should be mentioned. You know you're a figure skating fan when you debate competition results even years after the fact. Related to that, you debate about the judging system and the rule changes, sometimes proposing rule changes of your own, even though the ISU won't read an online forum.

You know you're a figure skating fan when you make general observations about "the state of figure skating" and what direction you'd like the sport to go in in the future.

You know you're a figure skating fan when you remember what it was like when "6.0" came up on the scoreboard (gosh, it was exciting as a fan) and how crazy the ordinals could get. You remember (or at least have heard about) compulsory figures in competition. You also know that there wasn't always a short program in competition. You know and/or enjoy finding out about the history of the sport.

You know you're a figure skating fan when you watch older skating videos (John Curry, for example) and don't mind that the programs aren't as difficult, packed, fast, etc, because they're so beautiful to watch in other aspects.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
When you see " cabinet consortium 2A" written on a door and think "why does this agency have double axel in her name?"

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
When the advertisement comes on the tv for Dentasticks for dogs teeth health and all I think of straightaway is Denkova/Stavisky :laugh:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you spent part of your last eight (and counting) Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays and/or Sundays watching a competition live. If you were working on any of those days, you tried to watch at least some performances on replay.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
.....you actually sign up for a Gold account to watch the events live, rather than waiting for TV to air them.