You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 17 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...it's a new quad, and you are missing your favourite skaters who are not skating on the GP series this season (Weaver/Poje and Virtue/Moir for me). However, you recognize the opportunities of this new quad to also get super excited to see your favourite developing skaters suddenly become podium contenders (Julian Yee at SA for me :yahoo:).

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
When you hear a piece of classical music you can't name but you know who skated to it and in which season.

or in a similar vein, when someone asks you about a piece of classical music and you know about it from figure skating
happened to me the other day with Afternoon of a Faun :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fun thread!

...when you didn't get to watch the competition and don't know the results but want to watch it "live." So you cover your eyes and only peak through your fingers while intentionally blurring your vision as you bring up the Ice Network page to search for the link. It takes you to the videos page and you block the left side of the screen with your hand b/c you know they usually have a picture of whoever came in first on the video link. You click the link, and cover your eyes again until you can maximize the screen b/c you don't want to see the link to the awards ceremony video b/c they always have a pic of the podium and you'll know who won...I have done this SO many times!:laugh2:

This is so me.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
When your friends are trying to organise something this weekend but you say you need to stay home and watch skate Canada [emoji23] and they all look at me like wtf?
Also when you beg your parents to let you stay up late to watch your fav in Cup of Russia [me last weekend]

rinkside_user

On the Ice
When your friends ask 'you wanna grab a drink and watch some sports?' and in your head you're like 'you don't just "watch" some "sports" - you analyze protocols, read interviews, take part in praying circles, check forums, expect carrot fields and shake your head in disbelief over the latest GOEflation/missed edge calls/obvious underrotations'.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
when your current playlist consists of the music your favourite skaters skated to.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
When your entire morning gets ruined simply because someone fell on a 3F :unsure: :biggrin:

rinkside_user

On the Ice
When you are in a business call with someone whose name is literally one letter away from Jorik Hendrickx and you wanna instantly ask 'Jorik, why are you missing the GP series this year?'.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not sure whether this is a sign that I'm a figure skating fan or a sign I'm a music fan, but here goes:

...when you are watching a sport and you see a name and you think "I wonder, are you related to the composer...?"

Some examples:

• Ice Dancer Eva Khachaturian (born in Russia, but uses her heritage to represent Georgia) and composer Aram Khachaturian (born in Georgia, but ethnic Armenian)
  • Nordic Combined skier Miroslav Dvořák (from North Bohemia, Czech Republic) and composer Antonín Dvořák (from Central Bohemia, Czech Republic)
  • Motorbike racer Iker Lecuona (from Valencia, Spain) and composer Ernesto Lecuona (from Cuba)

Of course, in the case of the final example, Valencia and Cuba are pretty far apart. But, Lecuona is actually a Basque surname. And given that Iker is a typical Basque first name, it is obvious that this guy from Valencia has a strong Basque heritage. Although I don't know anything about Ernesto apart from his masterpiece, "Malagueña", it is likely that his roots are also in the Basque country. So, there is a possibility that they are related in some way.

CaroLiza_fan

DenissVFan

Medalist
When others are looking forward to watching a Christmas classic at Christmas but you're looking forward to Japanese and Russian nationals ;)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you're in the dentist's office and hear Coldplay's "Paradise" and think "Shib Sibs."

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you go to another forum that has a generic "sports" thread, and amid all the football posts, you place figure skating stats.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...your time distribution in a typical week during the season looks similar to this:

1) Sleep - 33%
2) Work or School - 30%
3) Errands/Social - 15%
4) Eating - 10%
5) Figure Skating Fandom Related Activities - 12% (20 hours) :biggrin:

Note: A fan may sacrifice time spent on 1) to 4) depending on the competitions happening that week (for example, sleep percentage may decrease during NHK trophy for a Canadian fan.)

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
when you don't go out on the weekend, because you're staying home to watch skating on TV or online

EBreeze

Spectator
When you're planning on getting up at 2 and 3am to watch the mens SP and FS live at the GPF :bed:;)

Klarnet

On the Ice
When in the latest Ariana Grande's music video you notice picture of a skater on the wall behind Ariana with autograph on it and get more interested in identifying him than the actual song. Still did not identify though.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
When in the latest Ariana Grande's music video you notice picture of a skater on the wall behind Ariana with autograph on it and get more interested in identifying him than the actual song. Still did not identify though.

Jackie Wong's answer: The video shows a photoshopped version of a Max Aaron photo. :cool:

The original Max photo on Getty's site:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the last thing you do is look at New posts on Golden Skate before you go to bed. :bed:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When you pray that the (insert potentially identifying room at work here) doesn't have security cameras...

...because you're one of only a handful of people who have access, and there are no windows, so you're always jamming to skating music and practicing jumps and footwork in there!