You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 22 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It was marked as the 1Lo in past protocols.

That's even more confusing, then! :eek:

Thinking about it, I suppose it's because typewriters / computer keyboards don't have a dedicated button for ½. So, it's easier to just type "1Lo" than "½Lo". But, it's still mighty confusing for those of us that aren't used to the abbreviations.

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't look at protocols... :p

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When quite a few of the films you watched / taped over the Christmas period were chosen because you had seen figure skating programmes done to the music from them, and you wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

So far, I have watched / taped:

• "Burlesque" [taped]
  • "Guys And Dolls" [taped]
  • "Les Miserables" [taped]
  • "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" [taped]
  • "Sunshine On Leith" [watched]

I also watched / taped the following musicals, to see if there are any songs that would be suitable for skating to (there were plenty!):

• "The King And I" [watched]
  • "Oklahoma!" [watched]

And I am really kicking myself because I had heard that "The Greatest Showman" was being shown on Sky on Christmas Day, but I had assumed it would be on one of the Sky Movies channels (which cost an arm and a leg to receive). If I had realised that it was actually being shown on Sky 1 (which is in the package I get), I would definitely have watched it! :bang:

(The last time I watched Sky 1 must be over 20 years ago. So I had no idea that nowadays Sky shows films on there too. It's not a channel that I ever look near in the TV magazine).

Oh well! Maybe it will be shown on one of the "normal" channels during the year...

CaroLiza_fan

Just an update to let you know that there is a film on tonight that I am taping because I have heard the music from it so often while watching figure skating over the past couple of years.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that I may be seeing a yellow dress... :devil:

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I watched the last of those films I was talking about in my previous post about a month ago.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you watch "La La Land" for the first time, and you know all but 2 of the songs in it!

Have to admit, I wasn't keen on the way it ended. But, on the whole, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to.

Still amazed that I managed to watch it less than 24 hours after I taped it! But, there was nothing else on the TV tonight.

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you research Gracie's favorite color and favorite animal to figure out what to bring her in July.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when everybody is getting hysterical about some online craze, but every time you hear the word "momo", all you can think of is this:

Photo

(I know, although the spellings are a bit similar, they are totally different words! But, I know practically nothing about either subject, so as far as my brain is concerned, they may as well be the same word! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
...when everybody is getting hysterical about some online craze, but every time you hear the word "momo", all you can think of is this:

Photo

(I know, although the spellings are a bit similar, they are totally different words! But, I know practically nothing about either subject, so as far as my brain is concerned, they may as well be the same word! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

SMH!!:slink::rofl2:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When you explain the physics reasons why falling on land hurts worse than falling on ice to your mom by sketching your butt colliding with a surface and drawing in the force vector and components.

When you're talking about how amazing Stephen Gogolev's JGPF victory was to said mom and say, "Guess who his coach is!" and she correctly guesses Brian Orser even though she wouldn't recognize either if he sat on her.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you look at the calendar and you realize that there are zero statutory holidays here in March this year but no worries because this gives you one more reason to take time off to stream Worlds (or in my timezone, take time off to sleep after streaming) ;).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are watching a quiz show ("The Chase"), and are able to answer an art question purely because of NoNameFace telling us the story behind the sunflower bouquet that she made for Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, and gave to them when she was at the French round of the Senior GP Series.

CaroLiza_fan

Henni147

Final Flight
It was marked as the 1Lo in past protocols.
Thinking about it, I suppose it's because typewriters / computer keyboards don't have a dedicated button for ½. So, it's easier to just type "1Lo" than "½Lo". But, it's still mighty confusing for those of us that aren't used to the abbreviations.
I really don't like the term "half-Loop" or ½Lo, because it's misleading. I honestly thought it's only a half-turn in the air, means 180 degrees...
Euler or "1Eu" fits much better in that sense.
However, Arthur Dmitriev's 3Lz in the 3Lz+3F combo is not a "real" 3Lz either, because it's landed on the inside edge like the Euler jump, but there's no distinction in the protocol.

My suggestion would be: mark all jumps with inside edge landing with a small i:
1iLo (equals the 1Eu)
3iLz (equals Dmitrievs inside 3Lz)

I've never seen any other jump landed on the inside edge in competition so far, but I can imagine that a "double Euler" or 2iLo might be a popular upgrade in the future. For example: 3A+2iLo+3S.
These combos would be cool, too: 2iA+3F, 3iF+3F, 3iLz+3S,...

#Footnote: You know you're a skating fan, when you discuss formalities like this :laugh:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
When the youngest skater you follow isn't even old enough for you to make a GS Fan Fest. :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When the youngest skater you follow isn't even old enough for you to make a GS Fan Fest. :laugh:

Hey, you're not the only one in that situation. One of my Fan Fests had to be deleted too because of the clarification in the rules.

And I am now dying for Sunday to hurry up and come, so that I can restore her post and talk about the fantastic performance she did last week!

CaroLiza_fan

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
When you're going to the rink today to watch the last two men's practice groups for JWC, all 46 ladies and 24 men! It's gonna be a 12 hour epic :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you get a notificatation from the "On this Day" feature of Facebook telling you that today is the anniversary of your most "liked" photo of 2017, and it turns out to be a GS avatar that you only used for a matter of minutes because it was hard to make out who was in the photo when it was shrunk down to avatar size! :laugh:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159385390985538&set=a.10152798859405538&type=3&theater

The photo used was taken in Iceland by a certain Anne Line Gjersem.

CaroLiza_fan

hanyuufan5

Medalist
When you see characters that your favorite skaters like (or their logos) and think of the skaters and not the actual characters!

(Saw a Spiderman onesie, nearly died of cuteness thinking of little baby Boyang Jin crawing around in it.)

lady_bee

Medalist
When you received national flags from 12 differen countries you have ordered, and still thought " maybe, I need more? "
Yay, I am heading Saitama now:yahoo:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know you’re a figure skating fan when.......

Every time you see people exercising you call it “off ice” :laugh2:

LaArdilla

Medalist
... when you hope really, really hard one of your students cancels their tutoring class so that you can watch the last group of ladies short at the WC, even if it means less money for you.