You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 29 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
An obvious one - You know you're a figure skating fan when you have something to contribute to this thread. Or many, many things (that's me!). :yes: When you think of another thing, you come to this thread to share it. And you love reading the responses of everyone else. :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When you've turned your mom into a giant Yuzuru Hanyu fan who insists on watching the livestream with you when he's on.

When your cat watches skating, including looking back and forth between both skaters for pairs and dance, purring during gorgeous spins, looking away from bad pops or falls as if in pain. :laugh:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When now that your favorite skater has finished competing at Skate Canada and you've decided which of his costumes to use as inspiration for your nails, you find yourself thinking, "Man, I wish I could go to whoever did Gabrielle Daleman's nails..."

PinkElephants

Rinkside
When you watch long untranslated skating interviews in a language you don't know and hope you'll somehow magically understand what they're saying (I feel like at this point I should just give in and start taking Russian/Japanese classes...)

Oshun

Rinkside
This is the worst! I do this all the time! (Thank god for people using English names for jumps!) Hey, I live in Brooklyn where one is constantly listening to conversations in languages one does not speak.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
When you watch long untranslated skating interviews in a language you don't know and hope you'll somehow magically understand what they're saying (I feel like at this point I should just give in and start taking Russian/Japanese classes...)
I'm lucky that I can speak a bit of Russian so I am able to understand some of the interviews from the Russians, but when it comes to Japanese, no chance [emoji28] I wish lol

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... .when you show a Japanese speaking cousin by marriage a Japanese skating program sent from a Japanese friend & you ask her to translate the pertinent info in it, & she happily does it for you!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you've turned your mom into a giant Yuzuru Hanyu fan who insists on watching the livestream with you when he's on.

When your cat watches skating, including looking back and forth between both skaters for pairs and dance, purring during gorgeous spins, looking away from bad pops or falls as if in pain. :laugh:

My cat watches! But she plays favorites and calls shenanigans when she feels like it. She prefers blondes with a few exceptions. She prefers blondes, but there are exceptions.

She called shenanigans on the judging here: https://twitter.com/riverofchange/status/1189165469468680193?s=21

She really likes Bradie. https://twitter.com/riverofchange/status/1187846186511863810?s=21

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When your mother tells you your aunt is getting married (and therefore the family is going to the marriage ceremony) and you immediately look at SYWTWFS's skating calendar to check whether you'll be missing any competitions. Thankfully not missing anything :yay:

Also, when you tell yourself that there is no such thing as watching too much figure skating. :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you go check Walgreens for potential after Halloween stuffie buys. Nothing good:(

Seven Sisters

Medalist
When you have to create a password recovery question for something and the first option offered is, the name of your favorite athlete. You laugh to yourself and then realize, wait! Figure skaters are athletes! And you proceed to name a favorite skater as your response.

True story!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you decide you want to name your cats after your favorite skaters and realize you need to get ...a lot more cats! Gracie, Alexa, Chris, Kaitlyn, Jean Luc, Keegan, Donovan, Tai, Randy...........

noskates

Record Breaker
...when the announcement came out that the 2021 Nats are in San Jose. CA and you already have your hotel registration 15 minutes later. :thumbsup::yahoo::yes2:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you go to Petsmart and find $5 unicorn stuffies and buy a bunch of them to throw to skaters and recall that some pair or ice dance team (can't remember which) got 2 unicorn stuffies and you're trying to remember who they were and if they would like these stuffies.

rlopen

On the Ice
When people bring up Mirai Nagasu and they ask for the jump and you say triksel instead of triple axel.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When you get knocked out early for once (gruesome day) and the next morning your surprised mother asks "There weren't any skating competitions yesterday?"

Maman, sometimes competitions do happen in our time zone. And also, sometimes they are not broadcasted so you wait for fancams. Which brings me to...

When the first thing you do after you wake up is to look videos of the skating you missed while you were too busy sleeping

- - - Updated - - -

When you go to Petsmart and find $5 unicorn stuffies and buy a bunch of them to throw to skaters and recall that some pair or ice dance team (can't remember which) got 2 unicorn stuffies and you're trying to remember who they were and if they would like these stuffies.

Piper and Paul got two unicorns!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you get knocked out early for once (gruesome day) and the next morning your surprised mother asks "There weren't any skating competitions yesterday?"

Maman, sometimes competitions do happen in our time zone. And also, sometimes they are not broadcasted so you wait for fancams. Which brings me to...

When the first thing you do after you wake up is to look videos of the skating you missed while you were too busy sleeping

- - - Updated - - -

Piper and Paul got two unicorns!

They won't be at US Nationals so I have to hope there are other unicorn lovers among the US Nationals skaters. You're a figure skating fan when you subscribe to the WSJ just to read a single article on figure skating.

DenissVFan

Medalist
When you are hungry for skating content, so you plough your way through posts and articles in Russian.

(I learnt the basics many years ago, then forgot everything, and then gradually improved solely because of skating. I don't take any formal lessons, just plunge headfirst into the conent :p).

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
You happen upon Blades of Glory being shown on TV and you don’t change the channel [emoji23]