You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
*When you get teary-eyed because that newcomer skater that you've never even heard of before just gave a heartfelt performance and you're living for it.
*When you start going through a list of skaters in your mind whenever you hear a new song, thinking about who could do a program/EX to it.

Stephanatic

Spectator
When you hear the William Tell Overture and you immediately think of Stephane Lambiel instead of the Lone Ranger.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. When you're hearing music and you wonder if it would work well for skating. You try to picture it. Every song I've been doing for a few years.
2. Sometimes your body wakes up automatically for skating competitions that are many time zones ahead or behind you to watch skating competitions.
3. You realize how much you know the sport when talking to a non-figure skating fan when explaining rules and skaters (Like I did back in February and/or March to my mom).
4. You're so used to a skater skating to a specific song, that it's so weird to see someone else skate to me (Like for me, Chambermaid Swing with Kevin Reynolds).
5. When you are constantly checking results from competitions when you're out and about.
6. Going back to #1, when you're CONSTANTLY looking for new songs that are so unique to skating.
7. When meeting a particular skater, seeing a skating competition, and/or the trip overall to see that competition made your year.
8. When you're trying to find livestreams that work and don't have so many pop-ups.
9. You're frustrated you can't find too many people in real life that are into skating as much as you are.
10. You pray that your school, work, or sports schedule will work where you can watch skating.
11. You can hum at the very least to the Russian National Anthem.
12. You are able to pronounce Russian names okay-ish.
13. You have to keep track of time zones so you know not to miss it.
14. In the case of the USA, it feels sort of weird when there's an international competition in your time zone.
15. You wish you could skate and choreograph programs even if you cannot skate and do basic steps on the ice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When you dont show up for a party because there is a competition online. So guilty.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
When you giggle after seeing news article on China’s Winnie the Pooh ban written by a journalist named Javier C. Hernandez and nobody else around you understand why you did so.

When your seat on the plane is 4A and you read it as quad axel.

When your family is trying to decide where to go for a trip later this year and you list all the countries hosting the GP series competitions.

amberg

Rinkside
-Envisioning routines to music you hear on the radio
-Knowing if a skater is behind with their routine because you've watched it so many times
-Hearing "flip" and thinking of the figure skating jump
-Constantly searching up music that skaters use in their routines

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Just from top of my head
-whenever you hear a word/read a word figure and automatically add skating (works especially in my first language)
-you hear or read a name of Russian/Japanese/etc. city and you know it because a competition was held there or some skater trains there
-you see a picture (e.g. in newspaper) with Korean signs, everybody says oh that's Chinese, but you can recognize it is Korean
-you are at a concert of classical music and you wait for the pieces that are used in figure skating
-you wake up your mom (who sometimes watches FS with you but is not as mad about it as you) at 5 am to announce her that Aliona Savchenko has won the Olympics and you are crying and can't stop

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
-When your brother has the audacity to show up unannounced right in the middle of livestreaming the GPF to take you and your daughter out for dinner and on a shopping spree -and miss Adam Rippon’s fabulous “Let Me Think About It” short program!?!? Clearly, I have no brother, because he doesn’t even KNOW ME!!! :laugh2:

-When you contemplate dumping your significant other just because you went to his parents’ house one weekend and your ears immediately began to bleed when you opened the front door and heard the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack playing on full blast.

-When you roll your eyeballs so hard you see your brain and want to strangle a non-fan when they refer to skating jumps as “twirling in the air”

-when you subconsciously start counting the beat in your head to any and every song you hear (which I suppose is more of an ice dance and synchro thing, discipline wise)

-Having to explain to your mother why you’re busting a gut laughing when she comes back from the grocery store with a package of carrot muffins, right as you’re livestreaming a competition with Shin Amano on the panel

-When you can’t listen to Rachmaninov’s piano concerto no. 2 anymore because it was playing in your divorce lawyer’s waiting room at her firm while sitting across from your ex, scowling at the sight of him as you want to be called in for mediation

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... when you buy movie soundtracks your favorite skaters have skated to, even if you haven't seen some of the actual movies.
... when you see "Honda" or "Sale" - you don't think about the car company, but you think about Takeshi & Marin Honda. "Sale" for you means Jamie Sale.
... friends & family call you up to remind you that fs in on (even though you have the schedule right in front of you). :rofl:
... a song comes on the radio, and my husband & I knowingly go, "Who skates to this?"
... when you give the skaters goodies that reflect their interests or something about their personalities (Pooh items for Yuzu, golf items for Todd, stuffed rabbits/bunnies for Sean Rabbitt)

Just the other day, someone asked me about that skater Brett Eldredge :rofl2: (country singer - that's all I really know about him, since I don't really follow country music). It was obvious that this person was referring to Todd. His mom knew that I'm a huge Todd fan, so he was clearly confusing the two.

Mussique

On the Ice
Koola King and NHL players trying to figure skate show up in your YouTube music feed.

You watch FS related movies and get mad when they don't differentiate the jumps correctly.

You've got creative meanings for normal words like carrot, pop, travelling, lip, zayak...

You have a mental glossary of acronyms that at first seemed incomprehensible (SS, FS, LP, SP, FD, SD, 3Lz3L). I'm not even going into ice dance and pairs, that seems like another language!

Stephanatic

Spectator
-Having to explain to your mother why you’re busting a gut laughing when she comes back from the grocery store with a package of carrot muffins, right as you’re livestreaming a competition with Shin Amano on the panel

When you know who Shin Amano is.

synteis

Medalist
When your friends are sick of you trying to excitedly explain the latest figure skating gossip about skaters whose names they don't even know (Evgenia's split got lots of time from me this past while).

Tulipstar

Medalist
Like some of you, I learned a bit of a new language (Russian) and more about Russia as well. I knew very little about it before.

I've also learned about new music, especially contemporary.

And I've become a go-to person for people I know with questions about winter sports (even though I know little about anything that's not figure skating or speed skating)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you take a 'bathroom break' at work to watch the live stream on your phone undisturbed when your favourite skates during Worlds.

...one of the first things you do, when coming back from vacation from a country that blocks both youtube and dailymotion, is to watch the videos from the competitions you missed.