You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 31 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Haha, every time a commentator pronounces it "YOO-ler," I cringe so hard. I heard it over and over and over as "OY-ler" in differential equations and complex analysis and numerical analysis and every other math class (they still called the jump a half-loop back then). :laugh:

Huh. I swear I've heard it pronounced OY-ler by commentators. The jump was a half loop like 2 years ago, so not THAT long. And the kind of math you're talking about scares me.

Most commentators say OY-ler, but a few do say YOO-ler. I also cringe at YOO-ler.

Amei

Record Breaker
When you are looking at how you are going to have to wake up at 2am to watch another country's Nationals and thankful that it's happening on a week where there was a holiday smack in the middle of the week and your office will be a ghost town and not many people will notice that you are bleary-eyed from a 2am wake-up call

arewhyaen

On the Ice
All my friends think I'm very fancy for loving classical music but really it's songs that I enjoy listening to because my favorite skaters have skated to the music.

elegance

Words are my skates.
Rinkside
When you hear a Philip Glass selection on your iTunes and think it would be perfect for Sasha Trusova. The song is "Kyoko's House (Stage Blood Is Not Enough)" from the motion picture score for Mishima.

Link is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0gDJgxrcec

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When you see the current TV advert for a clothes shop for the first time and you think "my goodness, she looks like [insert name of current skating crush]!" :shocked:

I'm nearly sure it wasn't her, though. The person in the advert looked older, and had what seemed to me to be a different figure. But her face was so like the skater's.

CaroLiza_fan

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
When you wake up the house having a happy fit because Ted Barton read your email, and your spouse has been calling you a "Ted Barton fan-girl" ever since...

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When you are flooded with work and never have enough time to manage everything yet you still regret not cancelling everything for the whole week and focusing on 4CC, not just the days of the actual competition.

Also, when you are willing to forego sleep for the whole week when work is twice the amount than usual (and requiring copious doses of caffeine to just go through it all) to watch Euros and US Nats.

Lesson: Love makes you stupid. Stupid enough to forget self-preservation. The things I do for love...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A SKATING FAN WHEN...you knew something about each of three women's medallists from Canadian Nationals.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
You cannot confirm your plans during European championships, which take about one hour or a little bit less, for Friday night before ladies time schedule is published.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When you know that watching figure skating at work is synonymous with ending up in tears at work, yet you continue to do it every time you have a break when a competition is on. :laugh:

And previously, when you got so tired of fixing your raccoon eyes every ten seconds during competitions that you bought waterproof mascara. (I kept wearing it because my eyes water from allergies. Haven't bought non-waterproof mascara since Worlds 2018. :laugh:)

rinkside_user

On the Ice
When you are having a massive overload of empty phrases like "they are really producing the goods here", "that will throw the cat among the pigeons", "that was a lovely performance", "that's a big-scoring element right there" just from a single competition, courtesy of SBS man at 4CC.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When you are having a massive overload of empty phrases like "they are really producing the goods here", "that will throw the cat among the pigeons", "that was a lovely performance", "that's a big-scoring element right there" just from a single competition, courtesy of SBS man at 4CC.

Don't forget "it wasn't his best".

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you think “yay! I have an empty car” after throwing all your stuffies at US Nats...and find a stuffie sale on the way home. Yep, it’s full again.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
...when you feel dizzy and the first thought you have is "Oh my brain did a sneaky triple flip".

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When you think "I should have a break from all this figure skating" after coming home from 4CC, then proceed to watch videos from Bavarian Open.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
When you're too dopey from surgery to speak or think coherently but you're on the laptop trying to follow the ice dancing at 4CC.
Because it's what you do.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
....when you're upset with the amount of events that took place in your life (parties, birthdays) that all seemed to be scheduled on the same day as skating competitions.

....when you look at the calendar at work, and realized the week of March 16th is 'open' on the vacation calendar, so you schedule that week off work, so you can watch the World Championships live.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... when you've watched your first Netflix rental after returning from US Nationals, catching up on DVRed coverage of US Nationals, Europeans, & 4CC. We finally got around to watching the movie last night!