You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 34 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I just got so annoyed about music copyright blocking JW men short that I emailed Ted Barton. Who said he’ll get the info to isu. I think I hit the fan ceiling here.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was young, I was beautiful, I was sporting a Rika Kihira - esque ponytail with hair accessories. I had landed two triple axels and after a wonderful step sequence was about to launch into my textbook Lutz.

The next thing I know I'm back to being me and Hubby is telling me it's time to get up.

Boooooo!!!!!!!!

You probably dress better than Rika!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was @ Target yesterday, and came across a scented candle called "Sparkling Yuzu." No, I didn't buy it, but I chuckled when I saw it.

So funny but generrally if you start selling things at Target while yu might make money ie Mossimo and others it is usually a sign your Brand is falling from elite and special to mainstream and discount. Still I don't mind being the star of a discount store.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
When you are able to quickly and easily solve today’s New York Times crossword because you realize that a certain tricky clue refers to the Canadian national anthem, which you have of course heard many times at figure skating victory ceremonies :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when, during the break between the Short Dance and Pairs FS at Junior Worlds, you put on an episode of "Great Asian Railway Journeys" that is about to expire from the BBC iPlayer, and your jaw drops about 5 minutes into it when the presenter (former politician Michael Portillo) starts talking to a man around the same age as him who he introduced as...

Nguyễn Nam :shocked:

(Didn't realise that Vietnamese names used the order surname then first name).

I knew Nguyễn was an extremely common surname over there, but I didn't expect him to find somebody with the EXACT same name as the skater. (After this, I was kinda disappointed that he didn't manage to find anybody called "Avonley". But, I had seen our Avonley on the ice around 30 minutes beforehand, so... :p )

The bulk of this episode (S1, Ep. 7/20) was set in Saigon. Later in the episode, Portillo was taking the train to his next destination. And I swear, one of the passengers they showed was the absolute spitting image of our Nam. :jaw: Exact same haircut and everything! :shocked:

I don't suppose anybody knows if Nam took a holiday to his ancestral homeland in the past year, and came across a TV crew while on a train... :p

There are 3 more episodes from Vietnam that I will be watching over the next few days, so I will keep an eye out for more coincidences like these.

Incidentally, in case you are wondering, the make up of the series is as follows:

• Ep. 01–02: Hong Kong
  • Ep. 03–06: Thailand
  • Ep. 07–10: Vietnam
  • Ep. 11–14: Indonesia
  • Ep. 15–18: Malaysia
  • Ep. 19–20: Singapore

Looking forward to watching the rest! :)

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just got so annoyed about music copyright blocking JW men short that I emailed Ted Barton. Who said he’ll get the info to isu. I think I hit the fan ceiling here.

You beat me to it. the ladies SP is also blocked too.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know you are a fan, when you take the day off from work, get up at 3:30 in the morning and watch figure skating for close to 12 hours straight.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
You beat me to it. the ladies SP is also blocked too.

Already emailed about that too... but they took off the Kobalt and Voodoo block, and WGM slapped one on right away. (Groan)

My mom just got back from a trip to Europe, she called me to say the first thing she did was to turn on ladies short, and, she said, must have been jet lag, but she cried upon Valieva’s skate. Heh.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you install the Russian, Japanese and Korean language packs on Windows, to make it easier for doing searches for skaters on websites in their own languages.

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's 24 hours since Worlds was cancelled and a part of your brain is already suggesting programs/costumes for 2021....

LadyB

Record Breaker
When you feel like someone ripped your heart out because Worlds is cancelled, even though you perfectly understand it was the right thing to do.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you’re trying to type “keep” and your phone keeps autocorrecting to “Keegan.”

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Be grateful that we don't have a skater with the name Fatseas or something similar - a man I used to work with had that name and Spellcheck always, always insisted on autochanging it to Fatso....

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are looking through the schedules of the movie channels to see what is on today, and you have to do a double take when you see the names of the leading ladies in 2 films that are on at the same time this morning:

Sony Movies Action, 08:30–10:25 BST
"The Flying Missile" (1950)
A death that results from his unauthorised tests of a new missile system leave a Navy submarine commander wracked with guilt. Stars Glenn Ford, Viveca Lindfors and Henry O’Neill.​

Sony Movies, 09:10–11:15 BST
"Demons From Her Past" (2007)
A woman (Alexandra Paul) returns to her hometown to uncover the truth behind her wrongful conviction for a crime 25 years earlier.​

I wonder if either of the figure skaters were actually named after the actresses...

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you have a dream that you and a fellow Golden Skate poster are doing laundry in a laundromat. For each load you complete you get to pick a skater to go to Worlds, whenever they next happen (regardless of country limits or whether they qualified). Keegan goes to Worlds! Gracie goes to Worlds! Roman goes to Worlds! Donovan goes to Worlds!

And, when it is 530 am, you can’t sleep, so you watch Gracies long from Nationals again...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Keeping one eye out on 2017, fast forward past break, stop before the next skate on a guy with his back to the camera, half-body shot...
First thought, “Ah, Denis Vasiliev...”
Second thought, “prob need to watch less FS...”