You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
When you start using expressions like, “that was an absolute cracker!” or “now we’ve thrown the cat amongst the pigeons” in everyday conversation...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When you start using expressions like, “that was an absolute cracker!” or “now we’ve thrown the cat amongst the pigeons” in everyday conversation...

:laugh: Or when you immediately recognise those expressions as being from the British Eurosports guys.

Also..."That was right out of the top drawer stuff."

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
You find yourself watching talky game shows in a language you don't understand just to watch the skating:biggrin:

This reminds me when I was watching interviews, reports etc. with Sasha Cohen. At that time I could not understand any spoken English at all, but I watched just to hear Sasha speaking :laugh:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
:laugh: Or when you immediately recognise those expressions as being from the British Eurosports guys.

Also..."That was right out of the top drawer stuff."

Another signature expression, "This is spine-tingling stuff."

icybear

Medalist
When the most expensive thing you brought is flight tickets to the other side of the world just to watch a figure skating competition

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
When you get excited to hear people say that they're a fan only to be disappointed when they say "I don't really have any favorites I just watch during the Olympics". Every single time :cry:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Another signature expression, "This is spine-tingling stuff."

And am I misremembering or did one of them once say "That was a real humdinger"? Because I use that one all the time (in my head at least LOL)

iorii

On the Ice
This thread is so fun!!

When Spotify suggests you figure skating songs.

When This Town plays in mini market and you just HAVE TO say to your non-skating friends 'this is Shoma's EX program!'

When there's a sign that says 'See You Again' in mall and you say to to your friends again 'Shoma's EX!'

When someone says Yuzuru's name and Seimei immediately plays in your head.

FSLover17

On the Ice
When you have an exam in 10 minutes but you can't seem to tear yourself away from watching a live stream :laugh:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
When you hear a certain song playing and can only think of a skaters program to it

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Adding to the B.ESP chronicles: "clean as a whistle", "to my untrained eye, that was picture perfect" and "those skills are impeccable".

esteticlove

Final Flight
...when you watch the Olympics (fs pairs) and cry with a team which lost then cry with the team which won and then cry with a team which just gave the performance of their life no matter the outcome :hpull:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...your heart sinks as you watch the TES of your favourites go down in that box.

...you not only check the event protocols but also go to skatingscores.com to check how individual judges rank the skaters and occasionally roll your eyes at the GOE/PCS a specific judge gave (thanks GS'ers for the tip).

mrrice

Record Breaker
When Johnny Weir is on Ellen and you're in not in the room yet, you still know exactly who it is......You scream down the hallway.....Is Johnny Weir on TV???? That totally happened to me.

Lillebror

Rinkside
Lovely thread!

When you are wearing a Yuri on ice shirt in the hope you get to know other skating fans.

When you imitate a pose of one of your favourite skaters before exams and things like that to get into a confident mood.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Fun thread!

You're a figure skating fan when you realize how much culture you've gained just by being a fan. For instance:

...when you can distinguish the difference between Korean and Japanese even though you don't speak the language.

...when you impress your sister by correctly introducing a skater from Japan, skating in Japan, in Japanese. ("Miyahara, Satoko-san. Nipon!") I did this once and it was awesome :biggrin:

...when you can spell and pronounce really complicated looking Russian names with ease.

Some more non-culture related ones...

...when you tell your friends you're sick and can't go out tonight when in reality there's a competition on and you don't want to miss it

...when nationals and worlds feel like the Superbowl to you.

...when someone barely mentions skating and you begin talking to them as if they actually care and you can feel them getting bored with you...and you keep talking anyway.

...when you didn't get to watch the competition and don't know the results but want to watch it "live." So you cover your eyes and only peak through your fingers while intentionally blurring your vision as you bring up the Ice Network page to search for the link. It takes you to the videos page and you block the left side of the screen with your hand b/c you know they usually have a picture of whoever came in first on the video link. You click the link, and cover your eyes again until you can maximize the screen b/c you don't want to see the link to the awards ceremony video b/c they always have a pic of the podium and you'll know who won...I have done this SO many times!:laugh2:

ktmsrkn

Rinkside
when you can play music ...

Watching FS while learning to play violin for almost 15 years in my younger days. Some traumatic events occured ... I stopped playing violin or following FS events (honestly couldn't bear beautiful things like FS or classic music any more).

Time passed, gradually my heart and brain were healed ... one day I read an article from U.K. media on a Japanese skating pair in 2018 Olympic FS. I remembered my enthusiasm back in the day and went to Youtube and TV programs.

Watching the many great programs means listening many good music. My violin's got a player again... with hesitation at first, now for almost 3 months. I'm grateful to Pyongchang Olympics from the bottom of my heart because of it. It made me try to play Mendelsohn again and reminded me of how I love FS.

(And now, thriving of my country's young skaters... it really astounded me. I felt like live in another world/century when I knew them.)

Scrufflet

Final Flight
When you are as sick as a dog, throwing up, dizzy and barely able to handle chicken soup, you persuade your husband to wrap you in blankets, give you ginger ale and leave a barf pail at your feet so you can watch skating on TV!
Yup. Done that more than once!

noskates

Record Breaker
When you hear a music piece and can remember who skated to it.
When your big vacations revolve around where Nationals/Skate America/Worlds are being held and you still have 2 years to save for the trip.
When you watch old VCR tapes from 10 years ago because Kurt Browning skated to Les Mis, etc. etc.