You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 7 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

temadd

Final Flight
...you instantaneously catch any mistakes that commentators/journalists make.

Yes, I get indignant when the people being paid to speak about skating can't even pronounce skater's names properly. I don't care of it's not their language.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
...you instantaneously catch any mistakes that commentators/journalists make.

It wasn't a "mistake" exactly, but the commentator Australian SBS gets has the funny habit of saying that a lady, man or pairs couple is "dancing" to such and such music.

Except...for when the ice dancers come on and then they're "skating" to such and such.

Whoops! :laugh2:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
You know you are a FS fan...

When you finished the “ISU- How to jump 1&2”, they are so long, so low-cost production, and so... vintage :sarcasm:
(The one with the blue dummy) Will they ever update that video?

( I was looking for those videos in YouTube and noticed that all previously uploaded “ISU-How to jump” has been blocked by ISU copyright :confused:)

And... when you had enough from “Despacito”, coz you watch ice dance from group 1 :rofl2:

livetoskate

On the Ice
When you set up Twitter and Instagram accounts just to follow skaters and other skating fans, and could care less about following real life friends and relatives there.

coucou84

On the Ice
When you have to explain how the protocols work

When you have to defend your favorites on why they did what they did/their placements (usually when they win)

When you hear a music on a skating practice and you lose focus because you can only visualize a skater skating to it

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
When you are reading this post.

On that note:

...when you're reading a thread on GS from start to finish even though it may contain opinions you don't agree with and takes hours to get through.

iorii

On the Ice
When you rewatch all 12 YOI episodes + Miyamoto Kenji's choreo footages because you're done rewatching your favorite programs on Youtube.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
When you immediately notice mispronounced skater names... I heard someone call Kaori Sakamoto "Carrie" recently :scratch2: :biggrin:
When GS is one of your Most Visited sites!
When you think of skaters in their first names, eg. Zhenya, Alina, Nathan, Patrick... then get confused when a more casual viewer says something like, "You know, the Japanese guy?"

zounger

Medalist
When moments like this happen:

It's a "casual" Sunday night with friends family at home, in the background, national TV is playing the Olympics gala, Evgenia is doing her number (of course you saw it earlier on livestream). Someone suddenly asks "wha is this, is it Russian?". And you, take your cool face (cooler than ice) and reply with confident steady voice. It's Viktor Tsoi's Kukushka but this spesific one is performed by Gagarina. Everyone look at you like you are an alien. Who is Tsoi, what is kukushka?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Upon viewing on live stream:

...you concentrate a little too much on the tech box tally. It's only when you replay the programs that you can fully relax and enjoy the performances.

...skaters put on a really good performance, you clap and feel like you should give them a standing 'O' because you see people in the arena standing.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
When you search for figure skating videos with commentary from other countries, including in languages you don't understand (in some cases craving multiple commentaries about the same program)

When you know and care enough about figure skating that you don't mind and even prefer watching with no commentary

When you care about National Championships of other countries, watching videos online soon after they appear

When practice videos, including practice runthroughs, can excite you and move you. Also, certain skaters move you just by skating around doing whatever, music or no music

When you watch certain programs over and over and they don't get old no matter how many times you rewatch them

When the tiniest moments/details of certain programs amaze you, and you carefully list these moments on GS, after which like-minded people agree with your post and start listing favorite moments of their own

Amei

Record Breaker
Saw this on Twitter once - You know you're a figure skating fan when you get a link to a Japanese stream of the US Nationals from a Russian fan. :laugh2:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
...you're replying on the top of page 10 of this thread, after reading through all its posts from fellow figure skating fans.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When you care about National Championships of other countries, watching videos online soon after they appear

Guilty as charged!

And you really know you're a figure skating fan when you watch their Junior Nationals as well!

How about this true story?

When you hear a song while watching a figure skating competition, and even though it is in a language you don't understand, you like it so much that you look it up and listen to it again, and again, and again.

And then you get all excited a few weeks later when you find out that the singer is going to be competing on Eurovision. And better than that, they are from a country whose entry you tend to like every year. So you think they are sure to win, and go round telling everybody who cares to listen that she is the one to watch.

But then the time of the contest comes, and you are disappointed because the song does not do the singer justice. And you think "Could you not just have sung 'Kukushka'?!"

And then, a year and a half later, you are on holidays and see a sign saying that this singer (i.e. Polina Gagarina) is going to be doing a concert in the town you are staying in!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

...and then you are totally gutted when you read the date and realise that it is a few days after you go home!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

All because you heard the song at a figure skating competition.

When moments like this happen:

It's a "casual" Sunday night with friends family at home, in the background, national TV is playing the Olympics gala, Evgenia is doing her number (of course you saw it earlier on livestream). Someone suddenly asks "wha is this, is it Russian?". And you, take your cool face (cooler than ice) and reply with confident steady voice. It's Viktor Tsoi's Kukushka but this spesific one is performed by Gagarina. Everyone look at you like you are an alien. Who is Tsoi, what is kukushka?

You really were the cuckoo in that group then!

(Sorry, I know it's a cringeworthy line, but I just had to).

Wow! I never realised that it was a cover version. I thought it was written specifically for the film ("The Battle For Sevastopol")

Kino - "Kukushka"

Just listened to the original, and I hate to speak ill of the dead, but I don't like it. Which I was not expecting, because I absolutely love Polina's version.

It always amazes me how different singers can interpret the same song in such vastly different ways.

CaroLiza_fan

LadyB

Record Breaker
....when you fall in love with that country your favourite skaters come from. You want to learn not just their language, but all about their culture and traditions as well.

....when you follow your favourite skater's favourite bands/singers (even if you've never heard of them before)

....you go to events featuring that country in your home town

....when you want to know everything about your favourite skater off the ice, including their families.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
You get very excited when you see figure skating on local tv, and then inevitably disappointed because they're only showing the last 1-2 groups.
You often turn to Google translate only for translating foreign figure skating articles :biggrin:
Listening to music and imagining what kind of program could go with it.
Also, on the flip side, waking up very early just to catch a competition stream.
Sometimes replaying your favorite programs/moments in your head while waiting in line:)
Being the biggest star in your family/friend group when OWG season comes along:laugh:

Exactly me [emoji23] it doesn’t say how old this thread is, but I’m replying to this anyway, because I relate [emoji23] (except the first one, because the only figure skating New Zealand has ever shown on TV is Olympics)

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
You get very excited when you see figure skating on local tv, and then inevitably disappointed because they're only showing the last 1-2 groups.
You often turn to Google translate only for translating foreign figure skating articles :biggrin:
Listening to music and imagining what kind of program could go with it.
Also, on the flip side, waking up very early just to catch a competition stream.
Sometimes replaying your favorite programs/moments in your head while waiting in line:)
Being the biggest star in your family/friend group when OWG season comes along:laugh:

Never mind it does say when the date is, how did I not notice...such a dweeb...too much study and not enough sleep playing tricks on my mind 🤦🏼*♀️ also a week late reply but oh well I needed to say