You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 8 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
When after rushing to a Pilates class immediately after watching Anna Pogorilaya’s FS Worlds 2017 you believe you are having a heart attack and end up spending all day in the ER. Diagnosis? Panic Attack :shocked:

Me after watching Alina’s FS at worlds (actually I was such a nervous wreck I shut my computer when she came on and then I had a silent breakdown after I saw her scores) and today I still think it’s my fault that happened because I didn’t watch her performance [emoji24][emoji24][emoji23]

lesnar001

Record Breaker
... you ruin your sleep patterns for a month trying to keep up with the Olympics.

and get upset that I might have missed any analysis after the competition because the TV station just had to show the local news from 11:30-midnight before going back to Olympics coverage.

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
1. When you're hearing music and you wonder if it would work well for skating. You try to picture it. Every song I've been doing for a few years.
2. Sometimes your body wakes up automatically for skating competitions that are many time zones ahead or behind you to watch skating competitions.
3. You realize how much you know the sport when talking to a non-figure skating fan when explaining rules and skaters (Like I did back in February and/or March to my mom).
4. You're so used to a skater skating to a specific song, that it's so weird to see someone else skate to me (Like for me, Chambermaid Swing with Kevin Reynolds).
5. When you are constantly checking results from competitions when you're out and about.
6. Going back to #1, when you're CONSTANTLY looking for new songs that are so unique to skating.
7. When meeting a particular skater, seeing a skating competition, and/or the trip overall to see that competition made your year.
8. When you're trying to find livestreams that work and don't have so many pop-ups.
9. You're frustrated you can't find too many people in real life that are into skating as much as you are.
10. You pray that your school, work, or sports schedule will work where you can watch skating.
11. You can hum at the very least to the Russian National Anthem.
12. You are able to pronounce Russian names okay-ish.
13. You have to keep track of time zones so you know not to miss it.
14. In the case of the USA, it feels sort of weird when there's an international competition in your time zone.
15. You wish you could skate and choreograph programs even if you cannot skate and do basic steps on the ice.

This one is me too [emoji23] sorry I’m replying to like week old comments but I relate so much

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you're in the dentist's chair and need to think about something wonderful to get your mind off the uncomfortableness, you play your favorite figure skating programs in your mind!

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Me after watching Alina’s FS at worlds (actually I was such a nervous wreck I shut my computer when she came on and then I had a silent breakdown after I saw her scores) and today I still think it’s my fault that happened because I didn’t watch her performance [emoji24][emoji24][emoji23]
The old "superstition" watching - I know it well!
Should I watch "live" or record it and watch later.
If its not live - should I look at results beforehand or watch unspoiled.
A constant battle that has varied many times over the years.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
When at the end of your life, after you've forgotten everything else, you are still complaining "Michelle was robbed!"

... This is probably going to be me in the nursing home.

Hopefully the nursing home carries NBCSN on TV or there won't be much skating to watch :sad4:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Just one more....

While watching the golf channel last week - I could recognize Terry Gannon's voice without even having to see him.

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
When you’re trying to learn how to do jumps in your small bedroom at home and your dad asks what all that thumping noise is, and you reply with ‘never mind I just slipped’ [emoji23] nobody else in my family shares my enthusiasm for figure skating [emoji24]

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
When someone asks you your favorite season you instinctively reply "fall" because it's when skating starts.

When you've looked up skaters astrological horoscopes before the Olympics as though that will tell you something...

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Yes, I get indignant when the people being paid to speak about skating can't even pronounce skater's names properly. I don't care of it's not their language.

Once a British announcer said Evgenia Medvedeva’s name as ‘EvJenia MeDAVEda’ and I died

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When someone asks you your favorite season you instinctively reply "fall" because it's when skating starts

...you know you’re a figure skating fan when....

You’re triggered by the word fall :ddevil:

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
When you have the Russian keyboard on your phone and computer keyboards [emoji23] (I tried Japanese or Korean as well, but it got too complicated [emoji23])

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
When you stalk the Instagram accounts of skaters you like to find out their gym workouts, attempt as best you can to replicate these workouts and when performing ANY exercise can correct your form by telling yourself to
“Just tense your core and hold your head as though you’re Aljona exiting a death spiral...”

“Knees, KNEES!! Like Valentina!”

“Yup, that’s better...EXACTLY like how Alina moves...”

NAILED IT, I AM ESSENTIALLY A SKATING GODDESS 😂

....”I wonder where they buy their workout gear?? I should get some!!”

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When you have the Russian keyboard on your phone and computer keyboards [emoji23] (I tried Japanese or Korean as well, but it got too complicated [emoji23])

I actually thought about getting a new keyboard a year or so ago. But, I couldn't find one that did all 3 alphabets I wanted - Latin, Greek and Cyrillic. And anyway, I would miss the extra buttons at the top of my current keyboard (they are REALLY useful!)

I could find button stickers that did all 3 alphabets, but surely a sticker can't magically make a button work differently! :laugh:

....”I wonder where they buy their workout gear?? I should get some!!”

If you are serious about wanting to know, a lot of skaters are getting gear from the clothing company that Jenna McCorkell set up a year or so ago. I won't post any more details here, but let's just say that it's not hard to find info on her social media accounts.

CaroLiza_fan

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I actually thought about getting a new keyboard a year or so ago. But, I couldn't find one that did all 3 alphabets I wanted - Latin, Greek and Cyrillic. And anyway, I would miss the extra buttons at the top of my current keyboard (they are REALLY useful!)

I could find button stickers that did all 3 alphabets, but surely a sticker can't magically make a button work differently! :laugh:

If you are serious about wanting to know, a lot of skaters are getting gear from the clothing company that Jenna McCorkell set up a year or so ago. I won't post any more details here, but let's just say that it's not hard to find info on her social media accounts.

CaroLiza_fan

Lol, it’s just another language that is added to my keyboard on my iPhone and MacBook [emoji23] Idk if other brands do that but Apple does, You can easily switch between English and whatever other language

LadyB

Record Breaker
When you start listening to classical music regularly and even make a playlist on Spotify with your favorite pieces.

Not just classical. I've got an iPhone playlist called 'skaters'...

Also, when you hear a previously unrelated tune or song and you immediately begin to imagine who could skate to it.

A weird one: When you've got loads of colleagues and you find doppelgaengers for several skaters and you name them in your head after them :laugh:

When you put the twitter account of your fave skater's favourite football (or whatever) club on 'notifications', even if you're not their fan.

When you're totally chuffed that a family member of your skater(s) follows you on IG!

When your friend goes to Ontario on a camper van family trip and you hand them a list with location names, saying: "If you're there, bring me something back or send at least a picture."