Knierims to be coached by Aljona Savchenko | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Knierims to be coached by Aljona Savchenko

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow, you mean Alexa and Chris with Aljona? (Since Alexa and Chris are clearly together for the long haul :))

That seems a little harsh, when they're just starting, and by their social media posts they have a mutual admiration society:agree: The only thing I can see is geography, since Alexa and Chris are not going to move full time to Europe, Aljona would need to accommodate that....

Besides geography, the biggest obstacle I see would be that Aljona and Bruno are still doing a good amount of show skating. I guess that's partly why they'll also work with the other coaches, but it could still make things more difficult.

pearly

Record Breaker
Wow, you mean Alexa and Chris with Aljona? (Since Alexa and Chris are clearly together for the long haul :))

That seems a little harsh, when they're just starting, and by their social media posts they have a mutual admiration society:agree: The only thing I can see is geography, since Alexa and Chris are not going to move full time to Europe, Aljona would need to accommodate that....

I mean them with Aljona.

slider11

Medalist
I read Alexa and Chris' twitter to mean that they will train with Aljona's coaches not by Aljona.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I read Alexa and Chris' twitter to mean that they will train with Aljona's coaches not by Aljona.

They will train with Aliona as their coach but also under Aliona and Bruno’s coaches. Alion will work with them in Chicago as well. Will be interesting because Aliona and Bruno do have show engagements. I felt that Delilah had gotten too close on a personal level with them. Delilah has done some great things for Alexa and Chris but they need a coach not a buddy.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, I for one think this is exciting news, and wish them all the best of luck! And it will be fun to see what will come of it next season.

As for whether it will work out in the long run or no... If it does, good - if it does not, I'm sure they will still have learnt something. Another experience. That can only be a good thing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean them with Aljona.

I guess I'm still not getting it. Aljona and Alexa are committed, passionate, hard-working skaters. Other than a difference in skill level (which is why they are going to her and her coaches), there isn't much to distinguish them. Although maybe you mean that since they are both passionate about their work and their results, they could clash there? Maybe:confused:

They will train with Aliona as their coach but also under Aliona and Bruno’s coaches. Alion will work with them in Chicago as well. Will be interesting because Aliona and Bruno do have show engagements. I felt that Delilah had gotten too close on a personal level with them. Delilah has done some great things for Alexa and Chris but they need a coach not a buddy.

I can see the show engagements part, but I don't understand the "coach not a buddy" comment. I don't see any indication that Alexa and Chris' personal relationship with Dalilah has interfered with their coaching relationship. Since Alexa and Chris are so hard working and dedicated, I don't see where they need a drill sergeant; skill level, not dedication, has been what they need to improve.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hm, wonder which rink in Chicago they'll end up at? Possible that they'll end up at Rockne Brubecker's rink in the suburbs?

There are a ton of rinks in the Chicago area. A lot of skaters train at Dupage Center Ice and Glacier Ice Arena. Rockne’s rink is an option too but it’s pretty far west. It probably depends on where they’re staying and where they can get ice time. Since Alexa is a Dupage FSC member, it’s probably one of these:

http://www.dupagefsc.org/nav/aboutus/rinklocations.html

Twin Rinks is where Bradie trains.
Northbrook and Highland Park are where Jason used to train
Glacier is where Gracie, Tomoki, and Shoma (when in town) have trained.
Fox Valley is Rockne’s rink

Danny T

Medalist
He’s moving to La Chaux-de-Fonds to coach at the skating club there. I think he made his decision before she did, he was taking about it weeks ago.

Ahh I see, thanks for the info.

And to think I was joking just a few weeks ago about Hanyu retiring to coach Medvedeva :laugh2: Post-Olys shenanigans deliver yet again

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
#dramahcontinues
This is equally unexpected and excited from both perspectives: those who will be coached and a coach herself. Regardless of results following that move, I do believe that this could be a very beneficiary and enriching experience for both parties - Knierims could definitely benefit from Aljona's seasoning and 'readiness', from her own route, preparation routine, Aljona - sure will see how the work and responsibility look from the other side and decide, if this is the thrill for her.
Nothing, but the best for all of them!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are a ton of rinks in the Chicago area. A lot of skaters train at Dupage Center Ice and Glacier Ice Arena. Rockne’s rink is an option too but it’s pretty far west. It probably depends on where they’re staying and where they can get ice time. Since Alexa is a Dupage FSC member, it’s probably one of these:

http://www.dupagefsc.org/nav/aboutus/rinklocations.html

Twin Rinks is where Bradie trains.
Northbrook and Highland Park are where Jason used to train
Glacier is where Gracie, Tomoki, and Shoma (when in town) have trained.
Fox Valley is Rockne’s rink

Do you know if they used to train at 7 Bridges in Woodridge? Not sure if that's a biggie for elite skaters?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
WOW. Fabulous news! The USFS needs to upgrade and overhaul their pairs program. This is a step in the right direction. Best of Luck to Alexa, Chris and Coach Aljona!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am happy for them. I feel like they are at a crossroads in their career- hang up their skates or do something new. I'm glad they opted for the later as they have so much unrealized potential.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Do you know if they used to train at 7 Bridges in Woodridge? Not sure if that's a biggie for elite skaters?

I don’t know, sorry. I didn’t see anything listed on the Seven Bridges website about the coaching staff, so my guess is that there’s not a lot of competitive skating going on there right now. But I think Kate Hill and Jamie Whyte used to be associated with that rink, so maybe it has some competitive skaters.

http://the-skating-lesson.com/the-deeper-edge/the-deeper-edge-with-katherine-hill-and-jamie-whyte

Watch

Final Flight
This month is full of surprises. Didn't see it coming, but sounds good. Aljona as a coach is a good fit, she already worked wonders on her own partner.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is surprising in several respects, not the least is that the K's aren't looking at retirement, at least immediately.

No shade, it's just that with her injuries and the emotion of the Olympics and a team medal, I figured that would be the end of the line for them.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yay! Don't know what's going to happen, but I've always thought Aljona would be a magnificent coach. And that combined with Alexander and Jean Francois...the Knierims made an excellent choice. Whatever happens eventually. They need a change, well this is one. So what if Aljona has to be off for shows sometimes, there's the other two who helped Aljona and Bruno. What more can you wish for?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
More power to Aliona. The woman wants and gets it all. She just won oly and world gold. And now this. but maybe her "luck" will run out. Yes she has worked hard as a skater and managed to get lightning to strike twie with two different partners. Andnow she wants to coach. Wonderful. Winning OGM does open doors but it does n ot mean you are a good coach. And to jumpi in with a top ten, I mean 15 or so team??? While I wish her well and she has worked hard there are many others including orser - it takes a whileto develop coaching skills usually. I hope it doens't come that easy to Aliona lol It might go to her head.

I think Chris and Alexa might be grasping at straws though. Aliona hasn't done much coaching and at least Duhamel has show a good analytical mind and insight. Aliona is a great competitor but that does not mean a great coach necessarily.