Any Ashley news? | Golden Skate

Any Ashley news?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I know she tours with SOI. Will she retire? I don’t follow twitter or Instagram etc so any news appreciated. I’d love to see her La La Land. Oh well.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
She's currently enjoying touring. I believe Raf said there won't be an announcement of her future plans until the summer.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley turns 27 this month. This season, she wound up at #38 on the SB list, below Mariah Bell and Karen Chen. If she takes a year off, I can't see her returning at 28 to an even more technically competitive environment.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Ashley turns 27 this month. This season, she wound up at #38 on the SB list, below Mariah Bell and Karen Chen. If she takes a year off, I can't see her returning at 28 to an even more technically competitive environment.

Unfortunately I agree with this. Ashley has been regressing since the 2016-2017 season. I don't believe a year away from competition bodes well for her chances. I figured if she were going to compete for another season next season would be the one to do it. But if she's taking time off she should just go on and retire from competition.

She's achieved way more than any other US woman over the past 10 years. I don't think she has anything left to prove. She's earned a world and Olympic medal, 3 US titles, more GP medals than any of the other US women...she did her job and, despite all of the hate she gets, she did it well.

Ashley is a wonderful show skater and I believe she'd make good money participating in shows and touring. She's definitely entering that next phase of her life where she needs to figure out where she goes from here.

fenway3

On the Ice
You know she's gotta be wondering about how well she could've done on DWTS if given a chance. :)

Incidentally, isn't her birthday tomorrow?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You know she's gotta be wondering about how well she could've done on DWTS if given a chance.

I'm not sure she'd be picked even if she had made the Olympic team. She wouldn't have beaten Mirai at Nationals, so she probably wouldn't have been selected for the team event. In addition to earning a recent Olympic medal, Mirai is the only Asian American celebrity cast member. Her 3A is also a noteworthy achievement. Combined, I think those make Mirai a more interesting DWTS cast member than Ashley.

fenway3

On the Ice
Combined, I think those make Mirai a more interesting DWTS cast member than Ashley.

That makes sense. But Ashley would have the glamour appeal, which shows like DWTS seem to like.

Incidentally, I wonder why Michelle Kwan has never been invited to appear on the show? I wasn't a fan of Kwan's skating, but I'm just surprised she hasn't been on the show yet.

temadd

Final Flight
I'm not sure she'd be picked even if she had made the Olympic team. She wouldn't have beaten Mirai at Nationals, so she probably wouldn't have been selected for the team event. In addition to earning a recent Olympic medal, Mirai is the only Asian American celebrity cast member. Her 3A is also a noteworthy achievement. Combined, I think those make Mirai a more interesting DWTS cast member than Ashley.

Maybe on paper DWTS would see Mirai as more interesting but Ashley is a human quote machine and would have been way more engaging once on the show.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That makes sense. But Ashley would have the glamour appeal, which shows like DWTS seem to like.

Incidentally, I wonder why Michelle Kwan has never been invited to appear on the show? I wasn't a fan of Kwan's skating, but I'm just surprised she hasn't been on the show yet.

Lots of people are asked to be on DWTS and turn it down. A lot of them don't talk about it. Sometimes it comes out only when they finally say 'yes' after years of 'no's.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Lots of people are asked to be on DWTS and turn it down. A lot of them don't talk about it. Sometimes it comes out only when they finally say 'yes' after years of 'no's.

I’m very disappointed Ashley wasn’t asked or maybe she was and wanted to concentrate on SOI. They try to getrecent Olympians.

Maybe next year they will have Ashley and Johnny Weir. I’m so,surpris3d Weir wasn’t asked years ago. Apparently he is upset about Adam getting SOI and DWTS according to,Page six and Adam apparently agreed in an interview I saw.

Maybe they would ask Tara and Johnny. I don’t think Tara wants to do it. Anyway Adam and Mirai were good choices given their recent Olympic exposure. I don’t know how Mirai is not in the final.

If only she would smile and emote like this when skating. Just shows you how difficult the jumps are that she concentrates too hard.

Anyway Imnoticed Kristi stayed away. And I will be Meryl had nothing to say to Tonya Harding.

Tonya said she didn’t know who Mirai was? Really? Wow. Anyway I hate this short season. We really can’t see people grow.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… But Ashley would have the glamour appeal, which shows like DWTS seem to like. ...

Mirai also has glamour appeal. (As was very clear at the Oscars. Not to mention that Mirai absolutely looked glamorous on all three weeks of DWTS to date.)

I am a fan of Ashley as well as of Mirai. Nothing inherently more glamorous or engaging about one over the other.

musicfan80

Medalist
I think we will see quite a few more retirement announcements, but it won't be until at least late June/July. The Olympic season is always long and I think skaters should have the time to process what they want to do and when/how they want to announce it.

It's a huge commitment of time. Michelle continually balances many responsibilities in her schedule. The timing just hasn't worked out yet.

I don't think Michelle is against the possibility in general, though, some day.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ashley turns 27 tomorrow, and she posted a video on Insta talking about how she had to “face her fears” in the SAP center on SOI over the weekend and about how emotional skating is for her and how she’s happy she performed. She said in the video that the not going to the olympics “changed her competitive career completely” so we will have to see what she meant by that

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Please Ashley don't stop competing! I need great performing when watching women. Here is Jeremy wishing you a happy birthday. Which makes me think of how much I miss his skating :(

It would be nice to see her continue competing. She's one of the only US women that grabs your attention when she skates. Taking a year off will probably help her reassess her commitment to training and determine if she can stay near the top of the sport in this country. I don't see her competing if she isn't in the hunt for Worlds/Olympic spots.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Before worlds she posted this : https://www.instagram.com/p/BgZcGNqgYHy/?taken-by=ashwagner2010 . States she will be taking a season off.

Ashley did NOT say she would be taking a competitive season off. She said she made the choice to "take an intentional season of rest." Every time she's been asked, she's said she'd make the decision this summer whether to compete or not. "A season" can mean a season of the year, more or less.

Ashley could rest on her laurels. She's the most decorated U.S. lady since Kwan/Cohen era. The only three-times national champion. The only World Medalist since 2006, among U.S. Ladies. Olympic bronze medalist.

And she could keep competing. I loved seeing Alena Leonova skate and compete last season, both via video and in person at SA. I wrote at the time that Alena "came to skate." She was very impressive; she had that drive and fire. I think it's great when a skater doesn't allow someone else's definition of success to stop them.

Then there's Carolina Kostner, who said all year that she was "skating for myself." She had more to give to international audiences, and she certainly proved it.

I hope Ashley does continue to compete. For no other reason than to stand up for the values of great ice presence, personality, artistry and attention to expressing the music in a program. Not just in show skating, but also in competitions.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Maybe Ashley can refind her skating? Her best claim to fame might be right now her and Mirai fighting over a gay friend as to who is bestie? I don't mean to be mean; it sort of is the state of US ladies skating. Great potential but unfufilled at least for now. Bradie, Mirai, Ashley, Gracie, Karen - really all could medal at big events including worlds if they got it together.

I think Ashley has been roughly the same skater the past few years. She had some costly mistakes at Nationals, but it was an event where the women who beat her really stepped up and performed well. Her performances there weren't much worse than normal; she was about a point off from her 2016 Nationals (bronze) and 14 higher than 2014 (4th). It's just her particular weakness, underrotated jumps, is one that is penalized harshly under the judging system. I think that is going to make it hard for her to compete for international medals except for the rare occasions she gets the jumps around.