Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Counterclockwise jumps and clockwise spins

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    I'm also ambidextrous, and initially was doing waltz jumps and two foot spins both ways. The coach made me jump alternating directions, until one side tired out before the other. The side that took longer to wear out ended up being clockwise.. After that, I learned everything clockwise. I did scratch spins both directions, but unfortunatly that was all I bothered doing both ways. Now I regret not doing spins both directions, because this messed up ankle/foot is ticking me off because of involuntary edge changes. I need a cast on my foot,

My childhood coach and my current coach, are both clockwise skaters. There are a lot of clockwise skaters at my rink, which s strange, because when I was young, there was only me, my coach, and one other person. I mentioned my surprise at the number of lefty skaters to a coach one day (wasn't my coach), and she said it is because coaches aren't as insistent that skaters skate in the same direction as the coaches.

My problem now is that I don't want to spin on my right foot anymore, but doing both forward spins and back spins on the same foot would keep me from doing a lot of combinations (I actually have a post on the other popular forum, if anyone cares to go there)

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad to see I'm not alone.. I've never had the occasion to meet a lefty skater, let alone ambidextrous. My coach and the girls were all right handed and CCW jumpers/spinner. Until I won't compete, I think I'll try to develop the ability to spin both ways and see what happens.
    I'm curios about one thing about lefty/ambidextrous people. In Italy leftys at school and in sports were thoroughly discouraged to use their dominant hand or leg in the past( I'm talking about my mother's generation not mine) and forced to use the right hand. Is it the same in your country?
    Thank you for everything, I really appreciate your help.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually I'm not even ambidextrous though? I am completely right-handed and my left is pretty useless. The only thing I can think of that I can use my left hand reasonably well is to pick up mugs but that may be because I found it a hassle to have to let go of my mouse to take a drink when I was on the computer. The only other CW skater I know is a lefty though. Not sure what happened with me that I'm right-handed but do both CW...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundofice View Post
    I'm curios about one thing about lefty/ambidextrous people. In Italy leftys at school and in sports were thoroughly discouraged to use their dominant hand or leg in the past( I'm talking about my mother's generation not mine) and forced to use the right hand. Is it the same in your country?
    In Malaysia we had the same. My brother is naturally left-handed but schools didn't cater to them at the time and forced all kids to write with their right hand. My brother writes with his right hand now but its very messy and he can't write at all with his left anymore either lol so that sucks. But anyway that was way back like almost 30 years ago. My generation didn't have this discrimination. I have lefty friends who still wrote with their left hands when we were in school (about 20 years ago). For Chinese, I think the belief was that it was bad luck to have a lefty in the family/it was 'unnatural', that's why they forced them to use their right hands.

Mission Accomplished! Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thesoundofice View Post
    I'm glad to see I'm not alone.. I've never had the occasion to meet a lefty skater, let alone ambidextrous. My coach and the girls were all right handed and CCW jumpers/spinner. Until I won't compete, I think I'll try to develop the ability to spin both ways and see what happens.
    Yes, when I was small I was more of a lefty but my parents “broke” (not literally) that so I was right handed dominantly. They were still very influenced by what they knew and customs in the areas their families were from in Europe. I do everything right handed now but I was/am a lefty jumper.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    My aunt once told me that she was lefty but used her right hand to write because in school they wouldn't let her use her left hand. I can write two different phrases simultaneously, and do mirror writing in every direction; those things are statistically unusual, but because the mirror writing is just something some of the brainy kids in high school used to, my guess is a lot more people could do those things if they tried hard enough and practiced it. Some of us wrote our notes backwards (in cursive) so no one would know what we were writing.

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    It's always interesting to share different views.. I'm quite sure that in Italy this was more related to a nonsense old religious habit,rather than a matter of bad luck like in China. Decades ago the left hand was considered "unclean" a.k.a. Lucifer's hand. I prefer to write with my left hand, even if sometimes I switch automatically to the right one. This was useful when I was studying at University and Professors made us write like crazy ants. When one hand was tired, I wrote with the other one.... And while skating I basically did the same with jumps and spins..
    Treesprite: I've never practised mirror writing, but I'm quite comfortable writing and reading backwards ( definitely saved me during Latin classes when I had to translate and I hadn't studied... And the teacher kept his book open without thinking I could read..)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2