Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: The Great Consistency Debate!

2 Not allowed!
    I think there are two kinds of consistency: Execution and Results. You can have one and not have the other...

Consistent Execution: This is the skater you can rely on to come out, perform well and execute their program 90% of the time. They get it done and they get it done nearly every time. They land their jumps, they perform...they are the reliable ones.

Consistent Results: These skaters land on podiums. Many if not most of the skaters who execute consistently also have consistent results in terms of medaling. However, there are those who consistently land on podiums but don't always have the best execution. These are the skaters who tend to be called "inconsistent" and usually average a couple of mistakes per competition, yet they do things well enough to make up for it and still maintain a spot on the podium.

Consistent Execution and Results: Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Yuna Kim (post-Vancouver), Evgenia Medvedeva, Satoko Miyahara

Consistent Results: Sasha Cohen, Mao Asada (post-Torino, 2012/13-2013/14 seasons), Carolina Kostner (post-Vancouver), Kaetlyn Osmond

I do prefer people who consistently execute but I've learned that results without pristine execution still has its merit.

My name is Bond.....WakaBond yume's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    There is a third category: Consistent execution but no results.
    Mai Mihara, Bradie Tennell, Dabin Choi, Anna Tarusina, etc.

I dont take URs in account, otherwise Satoko would not be in consistent skaters lists.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yume View Post
    There is a third category: Consistent execution but no results.
    Mai Mihara, Bradie Tennell, Dabin Choi, Anna Tarusina, etc.

I dont take URs in account, otherwise Satoko would not be in consistent skaters lists.
    Very true. Though I wouldn't consider some of these skaters in that list.

Mai had a small slump last year (tiny errors cost her medals) but she still finished top 5 every time out. Bradie Tennell hasn't been around that long but she medaled at the majority of her events last year (senior Bs, SA, nationals). Her's is a case of being new to the scene and not really having a wow factor to propel her into the competitive PCS range. Unfortunately I don't know who Anna Tarusina is...which may be part of the reason.

Dabin Choi is the one I think that applies to. Granted, like Bradie, she doesn't have much of a wow factor. Her skating is pretty but her performance is often bland/dull which hurts her PCS. I find So Youn Park and Eunsoo Lim to be much stronger performers overall.

0 Not allowed!
    Performance and wow factor are not criteria of consistency for me. Since someone with turtle face during the whole program can have great PCS.

But yes, they don't medal because of PCS.

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Very true. Though I wouldn't consider some of these skaters in that list.

Mai had a small slump last year (tiny errors cost her medals) but she still finished top 5 every time out. Bradie Tennell hasn't been around that long but she medaled at the majority of her events last year (senior Bs, SA, nationals). Her's is a case of being new to the scene and not really having a wow factor to propel her into the competitive PCS range. Unfortunately I don't know who Anna Tarusina is...which may be part of the reason.

Dabin Choi is the one I think that applies to. Granted, like Bradie, she doesn't have much of a wow factor. Her skating is pretty but her performance is often bland/dull which hurts her PCS. I find So Youn Park and Eunsoo Lim to be much stronger performers overall.
    Anna Tarusina is 15, she'll be senior eligible this year (early 2003). She won Elder Age Nationals in 2016 and 2018 (like advanced novice nationals but also with many juniors) She's the one who was injured in the bus accident at the 2016 JGP St. Gervais and had to take a year off and get a few surgeries done afterwards. She's coached by Sergey Davydov, whose skaters are often pretty consistent. Anna also does two pretty rare combos: 3Lo-3T in both the short and free and 3Lz-1Lo-3F in the free

Anyway, Anna didn't fall at all this season and I'm not sure she even had a single element with negative GOE... maybe one or two. But her only real accomplishment this season was the Elder Age Nationals win (and a bunch of skaters messed up this year, so it's all the more incredible that she didn't really mess up the whole season) Yet she's unlikely to get a GP spot and is hoping for a JGP I guess...

0 Not allowed!
    That's what happen when you are in highly competitive field and in which politics rule the game.

Being the most consistent not always means being the most successful.

GS Supporter

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yume View Post
    That's what happen when you are in highly competitive field and in which politics rule the game.

Being the most consistent not always means being the most successful.
    This has nothing to do with highly competitive field.
    It is pretty much a natural thing, consistency does not mean success. One can easily be consistent in being stupid, for example.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Anna Tarusina is 15, she'll be senior eligible this year (early 2003). She won Elder Age Nationals in 2016 and 2018 (like advanced novice nationals but also with many juniors) She's the one who was injured in the bus accident at the 2016 JGP St. Gervais and had to take a year off and get a few surgeries done afterwards. She's coached by Sergey Davydov, whose skaters are often pretty consistent. Anna also does two pretty rare combos: 3Lo-3T in both the short and free and 3Lz-1Lo-3F in the free

Anyway, Anna didn't fall at all this season and I'm not sure she even had a single element with negative GOE... maybe one or two. But her only real accomplishment this season was the Elder Age Nationals win (and a bunch of skaters messed up this year, so it's all the more incredible that she didn't really mess up the whole season) Yet she's unlikely to get a GP spot and is hoping for a JGP I guess...
    I read in her interview that she's in training jumping a quad and she can have it in to the program in the new season.

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    . Anna also does two pretty rare combos: 3Lo-3T in both the short and free and 3Lz-1Lo-3F in the free
    Speaking of rare she does also 2A-1/2L-3F which we don't see so often.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitryfromsiberia View Post
    I read in her interview that she's in training jumping a quad and she can have it in to the program in the new season.
    Will she stay in juniors or move up to seniors?
    I don't know what are her chances for JGPs, but if she skate a clean free program with a quad at one of the firsts domestic competitions maybe the fed will finally look at her. Like Kostornaya who wasn't even in substitutes lists after 2 or 3 JGPs i think, but got a spot after a strong win at a domestic competition

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    I mean I'd imagine she'd stay in juniors because no one really knows her enough to invite her to a GP and she's not guaranteed one
    I'd imagine she'd get 2 JGPs for winning Elder Age
    and yeah this sucks for Vasilieva for the second season in the row but besides junior nationals, her season really wasn't that stellar

anyway, any more about Tarusina should probably go in the Russian ladies' thread, I feel bad for hijacking this to explain who Anna was

0 Not allowed!
    Before the injury, she was stronger than Alina...

0 Not allowed!
    Consistency to me, is not always about landing every jump but someone who is able to bring the technical, superb performance, and a WOW factor to every competition. There are very few women able to do this today, as I can think of only a couple who have podiumed at all events they have entered the past year or so.

'This' for me, is the epitome of consistency!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6