Sotskova: 'I'll remain ... for many years' | Golden Skate

Sotskova: 'I'll remain ... for many years'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On a sunny day in Moscow, Russian skater Maria Sotskova is working hard on the ice in the famous Army Sport Club CSKA, weaving through her footwork to Latin music. Russia currently has the most competitive Ladies' field in figure skating, and when one makes the National Team, that speaks volumes. Sotskova did just that, earning a ticket to the Olympic Games, as well as the European and World Championships as the number three behind stars Evgenia Medvedeva and Alina Zagitova. The 2017-18 ISU Grand Prix Final silver medalist, who turned 18 last month, is now looking forward to next season and establishing herself as a top skater.

More...

“I wanted something like that already in the past season, but since it was an Olympic season, we decided it is better not to experiment,” she said. In the past two seasons, the 18-year-old skated to classical music. “This time I tried to insist and I said that I’m dreaming of doing something Latin. Elena Germanovna (Vodorezova, coach) was not fully convinced that I can skate this program, but we decided to try it.”

“It’s very fast and it’s hard. I still have a lot of work to do. I’m feeling already now that this is a hard program,” the National silver medalist acknowledged. However, the skater is clearly enjoying it and she remembers fondly a program to “Black Magic Woman” by Santana from her junior days. “I feel that this music will push me forward,” the skater noted.

Last edited:

Roast Toast

Medalist
I've always thought her strength was her great posture, so latin will be interesting. She's not the most popular, but imo she is very pleasant to watch even if her jumps can be a little bit of an eyesore.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
A latin program. :popcorn: I’m looking forward to it.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
An interesting choice for a program that I certainly look forward to seeing. Her music choices have been very boring recently and I don't think she's really been able to express herself properly at all. Her 15-16 SP I thought was at least somewhat interesting and I hope she can get back to being that enjoyable to watch. Perhaps more importantly though, really hope that she does something about her jumps. You just can't afford URing every other jump at this level of competition, and she doesn't even have the rotation speed or the landing technique to mask it.

edit: Oh, I didn't even realize that she mentioned it in her interview. But yeah, Black Magic Woman was a program of hers that I liked and was very disappointed by the direction afterwards.

Tyranid

Final Flight
On a sunny day in Moscow, Russian skater Maria Sotskova is working hard on the ice in the famous Army Sport Club CSKA, weaving through her footwork to Latin music. Russia currently has the most competitive Ladies' field in figure skating, and when one makes the National Team, that speaks volumes. Sotskova did just that, earning a ticket to the Olympic Games, as well as the European and World Championships as the number three behind stars Evgenia Medvedeva and Alina Zagitova. The 2017-18 ISU Grand Prix Final silver medalist, who turned 18 last month, is now looking forward to next season and establishing herself as a top skater.

More...
Isn't this the fsrussia.ru article? Or it a different one? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Btw, why does 1 time major comp. medalist get a GS article and 5 time major comp. medalist (Radionova) doesn't? :sad21: She has an fsrussia.ru article.

I guess I'll do it myself. Gotta be more productive on this forum.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Nice interview with Maria. She sounds upbeat about her Latin program even though she said it is hard.
Sounds like she has taken control of her skating somewhat by insisting on skating the Latin SP. Good for her.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't this the fsrussia.ru article? Or it a different one? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Btw, why does 1 time major comp. medalist get a GS article and 5 time major comp. medalist (Radionova) doesn't? :sad21: She has an fsrussia.ru article.

Some of the material may be similar, however, it's different. GS pays for these features. We try to run a new feature each week. I would say that is pretty productive ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Tatjana Flade has been providing very interesting articles for Golden Skate for many years. And this one is no exception.

:cheer: All the best for the coming season, Maria!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great article! Those programs sound like they'll suit her really well. I can see Summertime being a great fit especially. A bit more languid, more character to play, but not such a large stretch that she'll struggle a ton. Can't wait! Maria is my favorite Russian skater so I hope she does really well this season. :biggrin:

dobrevaria

Rinkside
Really interesting article. I'm excited for her new short. Her Black Magic Woman was nice. :)
I liked her SP in the 2016-2017 but her free program was rather boring and it was the same for both programs of the 2017-2018 season. It's a pity because she has beautiful arms and extensions, and she's really beautiful on the ice. I'm looking foward to her new programs!

LRK

Record Breaker
Nice interview with Maria. She sounds upbeat about her Latin program even though she said it is hard.
Sounds like she has taken control of her skating somewhat by insisting on skating the Latin SP. Good for her.

Agreed. Whether it works out or no, I think she should be allowed to try new things - music that she herself feels and can be motivated by. It will only push her forward, I think, and she will learn from it.

It would be difficult, I imagine, to skate year in year out to programs she doesn't much enjoy herself - just because it is thought that this is what she is "supposed" to skate to.

charlotte14

Medalist
Something to help her stand out. I have to admit I felt asleep watching her last season. I used to like her when she was 14-15.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope she improves that Tano arm position or gets rid of it altogether. Her jumps looks horrid in the air and it's really a distraction for me.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
"Summertime" is probably going to be another snoozer of a program though... :confused2:

Tatjana

On the Ice

Golden Skate had an article on Elena Radionova last year. Maybe there will be another one later in the summer when there is more information available on her programs etc.

Alifyre

On the Ice
I must admit I'm not the biggest Sotskova fan, but not because I don't think she's not talented -- I just have found her kind of boring. I love that she's trying to challenge herself and open up artistically, hopefully it brings her success! I'm always looking for new skaters to be a fan of.