Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Sotskova: 'I'll remain ... for many years'

  1. #31
    Medalist kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,945
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by largeman View Post
    "Summertime" is probably going to be another snoozer of a program though...
    It will completely depend on what version of music they use and what they do with it. It's a slow, sultry kind of song that can be really beautiful if it's done correctly. It's a departure from the classical stuff so I'm here for it.

    I am happy she's going a different direction with her music choices. I've been a fan of hers for a while. Even in her classical box I think she's beautiful albeit slightly dull to watch. Adding a bit of flair and spice should work nicely for her.

    I'm excited about CSKA skaters this season. They have a strong group with some talented skaters, especially for the women. Tsurskaya and Gubanova are two of my favs and I've loved Radionova forever. I'm crossing my fingers this group can improve and challenge Eteri's girls next season.

  2. #32
    Medalist Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,068
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    “I don’t want to have all jumps in the second half anyway,” she explained, ”the program should look harmonious.”

  3. #33
    Bona Fide Member Osmond4gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Country: Canada

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by largeman View Post
    "Summertime" is probably going to be another snoozer of a program though...
    Okay Largeman with a very long memory, lets not become eeyore here. At least it's a welcome change from that ice princess thingy, the past few years. I credit her for daring to be different.

  4. #34
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    227
    Country: Canada

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It will completely depend on what version of music they use and what they do with it. It's a slow, sultry kind of song that can be really beautiful if it's done correctly. It's a departure from the classical stuff so I'm here for it.

    I am happy she's going a different direction with her music choices. I've been a fan of hers for a while. Even in her classical box I think she's beautiful albeit slightly dull to watch. Adding a bit of flair and spice should work nicely for her.

    I'm excited about CSKA skaters this season. They have a strong group with some talented skaters, especially for the women. Tsurskaya and Gubanova are two of my favs and I've loved Radionova forever. I'm crossing my fingers this group can improve and challenge Eteri's girls next season.
    Well they have one less Eteri girl to worry about :P I don't think I've seen too much of Tsurskaya or Gubanova or I'm a fan of Radionova (that girl is sassy and is a star!)

  5. #35
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    507
    Country: Russia

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Thanks to those upthread for sharing clips of Maria's old programs. Watching those it does seem that faster, more energetic programs suit her far better.

    Somewhere somehow someone presumably decided that she was a "lyrical" skater and that was what she was supposed to skate to. I don't know why, maybe because she is tall, maybe they wanted to turn her into a Caro Clone? Anyway, I do think it far better to let each skater develop their own style rather than trying to shove them into a box of someone else's choosing with a neat bow around.
    she just was a better skater. i'm sure that 13 yo maria could present her current programs on a whole other level. back then she was fast, energetic, expressive and had a better lines and posture.
    now she is just slow and boring.
    there is people that like to say how skaters are getting better with age. sotskova is an example of the opposite, since the age of 14 she only regressed. and not only technically, but also as a performer.
    the other example for me is kostner. i really love some of her old programs, but watching her now for me is just as painfull as watching sotskova. it's the same feeling - slow and boring. i don't even understand now why she is better than sotskova

  6. #36
    Medalist kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,945
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyH View Post
    Well they have one less Eteri girl to worry about :P
    I know right! I think Eteri will only have Alina and Daria Panenkova on the senior level next year. I say "only" but it's not like she's at a disadvantage. Alina is one of the top in the world and Daria is a solid skater/competitor though not as engaging or entertaining as Eteri's brighter stars.


    Quote Originally Posted by LucyH View Post
    I don't think I've seen too much of Tsurskaya or Gubanova or I'm a fan of Radionova (that girl is sassy and is a star!)
    Oh no, that won't do. You must educate yourself!

    Polina Tsurskaya is one of the best jumpers in the field. She's a total powerhouse. Amazingly airy easy-looking jumps that get amazing distance and ride out. Unfortunately she's had injury issues over the pass two seasons so she never really gets a strong foothold in the standings. I'm hoping that will change for her. She earned bronze at NHK and 4th at SA last season. I'm hoping this season will be a breakout one for her.

    Here's her SP from NHK last season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pTxHF2ljnQ&t=1


    Anastasiia Gubanova is just lovely. Absolutely gorgeous presentation and attention to detail. Alena Kostornaia reminds me of her in terms of their ability to capture me with just their skating without the bells and whistles of jumps. Gubanova had some troubles with a growth spurt last season. Season before last she was excellent on the JGP (two golds, silver at the Final), but she had issues last season. She placed 4th at her only JGP event but was able to place a solid 6th at nationals, about a point behind Tsurskaya. I've always been a bit worried about her technique (strange upper body on her triples) so we'll have to see how it holds up. Still, she's a lovely skater to watch.

    Here's her SP from nationals:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e8XLToJjVM

  7. #37
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    507
    Country: Russia

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Gubanova had some troubles with a growth spurt last season. Season before last she was excellent on the JGP (two golds, silver at the Final), but she had issues last season. She placed 4th at her only JGP event but was able to place a solid 6th at nationals, about a point behind Tsurskaya.
    she hasn't any problems with growth. she just bombed her first JGP, which is ruined her season internationally. but in terms of consistency she had one of the best seasons in the world among ladies(only two russian ladies, tarusina and kostornaia, were more consistent than her). anastasia skated 6 clean competions in a row, and 8 clean competions in total.
    she never ever skated 2 back to back clean programs prior to last season, in her "exellent" season, when she came second at the JGPF, she was falling at every competition

  8. #38
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,420

    0 Not allowed!
    I wish her well but there are so many good russians to compete against Gubanova, Tsurkskaya are the immediate up and comers forget Trusova. Then you have the desperate fighters in Liza T and Elena R. Then the frontliners who seem so far ahead - Evgenia and Alina. That's seven top notch skaters right there not including Trusova who is two years away.

  9. #39
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,245

    0 Not allowed!
    So Maria will skate to Summertime, and a Latin piece?

    If so, it feels quite unoriginal since her new teammate has just skated to it last season.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •